• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Puzzling Kaapo Kakko Scratch Clouds His Rangers Future

Phil

29 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Wow, 256 game sample vs. 20, that's something.

He had a 5.9 shooting % this year in 67 games which is pretty much unsustainably bad. The previous two seasons were 10.5 and 12.7. He has a nice shot. No clue what happened this season, but he couldn’t buy a goal. Shooting volume isn’t a problem for him though, so theoretically if his % goes back up to where it’s been he should be looking at 15-20 goals next season if he plays 82.

Yeah that's not 2C stuff, especially when setting up others and faceoffs aren't his game.  I don't understand the thought he became a viable 2C option by some because of his 20 game run. They have to figure out a way to do better than that imo.

25 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Yeah that's not 2C stuff, especially when setting up others and faceoffs aren't his game.  I don't understand the thought he became a viable 2C option by some because of his 20 game run. They have to figure out a way to do better than that imo.

15 to 20 goals is absolutely second line Center production, provided it comes with 30 to 40 assists. 

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Kakko had a combined 9 goals in 62 regular season and playoff games. His goal scoring rate in the playoffs (2 in 19) was a downturn versus regular season (7 in 43). You can't seriously say benching Kakko hurt us offensively. 

What was his line doing? With and without him?

Like him or not, he helped drive offense on that line. Couple of missed and called back chances changes his scoring rate. 

Really can't deny that the kid line was successful and probably the most consistent line of tge playoffs considering they got little PP time. 

I'll say it over and over again.  I'd rather see players who atleast generate scoring chances and not score on them as often as we'd like, over players who generate absolutely nothing, but show some semblance of effort and scrappy-ness (like pushing a player ontop of the all world goalie). 

Kakko could have zero points in the playoffs and I'd dress him over that pile of shit - Hunt EVERY time. 

He may not have won the game, but he would have made a difference on the ice. Scoring chances take their toll on defenses an goalies. They also change momentum. Hunt doesn't do that. Ever. He's neither physically imposing in stature or in his play. And he adds dog dick offensively in any capacity.  

You don't sit Kakko for Hunt. Especially.  

• TroCheckmark 1

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What was his line doing? With and without him?

Like him or not, he helped drive offense on that line. Couple of missed and called back chances changes his scoring rate. 

Really can't deny that the kid line was successful and probably the most consistent line of tge playoffs considering they got little PP time. 

I'll say it over and over again.  I'd rather see players who atleast generate scoring chances and not score on them as often as we'd like, over players who generate absolutely nothing, but show some semblance of effort and scrappy-ness (like pushing a player ontop of the all world goalie). 

Kakko could have zero points in the playoffs and I'd dress him over that pile of shit - Hunt EVERY time. 

He may not have won the game, but he would have made a difference on the ice. Scoring chances take their toll on defenses an goalies. They also change momentum. Hunt doesn't do that. Ever. He's neither physically imposing in stature or in his play. And he adds dog dick offensively in any capacity.  

You don't sit Kakko for Hunt. Especially.  

Sure other than they (Lindgren) had one ES goal in the last ~11-12 periods. So nobody was doing anything the last 3-4 games including the overhyped kid line who like the rest ran head on into a buzz saw.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Sure other than they (Lindgren) had one ES goal in the last ~11-12 periods. So nobody was doing anything the last 3-4 games including the overhyped kid line who like the rest ran head on into a buzz saw.

Meh. They had chances and were puck possession kings. They were one of if not the teams best line, yet they kept getting split up, and got little icetime. 

You kinda missed my entire point about sustained pressure and scoring chances there. Something I feel is overlooked and not given enough credit for how much that helps.  

Overhyped? 

You mean under appreciated.  

• Applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was weird that coach Gerard Gallant scratched Kakko in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals. And even Gallant acknowledged after that loss it was a "possibility" the restricted free agent could have played his final game with the team. We've seen young, talented (and underappreciated) players receive offer sheets before. Kakko could easily be next. Given how Gallant treated him amid a decent overall postseason might make leaving seem favorable. It wouldn't be for New York. The Rangers must repair the relationship and get a deal done.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34153785/nhl-power-rankings-way-too-early-edition-where-do-avalanche-lightning-every-other-team-land

Am I crazy, or did this literally never happen?

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

That's some bullshit Dances with Words. There's literally nothing in that quote expressly about Kakko.

That can just mean they know they are cap strapped and there could me movement in off-season.

These motherfuckers really are bored.

Edited by Pete

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's some bullshit Dances with Words. There's literally nothing in that quote expressly about Kakko.

That can just mean they know they are cap strapped and there could me movement in off-season.

These motherfuckers really are bored.

Agreed. Shitty journalism designed to do exactly what it did — throw red meat to Twitter.

The surprising decision to scratch him for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Final signaled that the No. 2 overall pick from the 2019 draft is no longer in the untouchable trade category for the Blueshirts, but multiple people with knowledge of the situation told lohud.com, part of the USA TODAY Network, that any rumors about the 21-year-old forward wanting out have been overblown.

There's a fair amount of confidence that a contract will get done, with two sources pointing to the two-year, $4.6 million bridge deal that Filip Chytil signed last summer as the likely framework.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/06/29/exploring-alternatives-ny-rangers-fill-their-need-center/7755618001/

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 2

This kid's a keeper....I know the first 3 seasons haven't really shown anything more than some flashes of what's to come, but he's built like a fucking freight train, and when that shyness/timidness wears off and he realizes that he's a bull, he's going to be a force.

..hopefully he gets his ass in the gym this summer and comes out like a freak of nature.  The rest of the skill I feel he has in his pocket.  Just drop the scared play, go to the net and prosper!

This bridge deal is going to look like a wet dream after next season!   ...He's going to arrive, and when he does we'll all win!

• Applause 1

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

when that shyness/timidness wears off

That is never going to happen. I'm sorry, if you haven't developed your mean streak by the time you're 20 it's not just going to come out of nowhere. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

That is never going to happen. I'm sorry, if you haven't developed your mean streak by the time you're 20 it's not just going to come out of nowhere. 

Would be a waste of a big body too, Pete.  He has all the tools, just no overdrive pedal.  This bridge deal is probably the best thing for the Rangers.  I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid, but I'm thinking you're going to be correct on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

100%. He came to play in North America and realized how much more physical hockey is played here. He got dejected by not being able to replicate his success overseas.

I'm not sure he is ever more than a 30-40 point player. However we are void of anything worthwhile on the right side with hopes that Krav arrives and takes over where Buch left off and Laf can transition over there. That leaves Kakko to sit on the third line, maybe which we are looking to make into a more legitimate shutdown line? Hmmm.