• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Puzzling Kaapo Kakko Scratch Clouds His Rangers Future

Phil

Of course dressing Strome who was obviously unable to play was a terrible decision.

But scratching Kakko was irrelevant. Should have just dressed Gauthier and Hunt if he wanted fresh legs.

The fact is Kakko didn't make the decision hard enough for the coach, and even he knows it. 

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, June1994 said:

It wasn’t GH who made the decision I believe. CD or higher 

You can’t just say that and have no basis for the claim. In this forum, we respect opinions, but there really needs to be something more than throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks. 

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, June1994 said:

It wasn’t GH who made the decision I believe. CD or higher 

You can’t just say that and have no basis for the claim. In this forum, we respect opinions, but there really needs to be something more than throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks. 

22 minutes ago, Keirik said:

The scratch was Shit ! 

that’s the Point 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Okay. But where is the evidence that Drury or even higher superseded Gallant?

No concrete evidence. Intuition…Feeling…the way Gallant handled and how he answered questions Post game, then next day, didn’t sound like his normal banter with reporters and then 2 days later interview with Drury ‘I back Gerard’s decision’ 3 days later still no substance to decision, vague. And the whole diversion to the cap and contracts and next year motivation intention behind it, the thing is like a dead fish starting to smell right away. All I saw was, Why tell us why you make this Huge decision Of all times !!! Nothing that felt truthful came out of their mouths. 
Kaapo sounded real in his exit end of season interview. Like he was in Shock. It’s not like there was a tomorrow so they’ll put him back in next game get him motivated to play better. The Kid line stats were just too good compared to rest of team even if he or the line didn’t score in ? Game 4 or 3 . Nobody was…have a good day good night from L.A. 

29 minutes ago, June1994 said:

No concrete evidence. Intuition…Feeling…the way Gallant handled and how he answered questions Post game, then next day, didn’t sound like his normal banter with reporters and then 2 days later interview with Drury ‘I back Gerard’s decision’ 3 days later still no substance to decision, vague. And the whole diversion to the cap and contracts and next year motivation intention behind it, the thing is like a dead fish starting to smell right away. All I saw was, Why tell us why you make this Huge decision Of all times !!! Nothing that felt truthful came out of their mouths. 
Kaapo sounded real in his exit end of season interview. Like he was in Shock. It’s not like there was a tomorrow so they’ll put him back in next game get him motivated to play better. The Kid line stats were just too good compared to rest of team even if he or the line didn’t score in ? Game 4 or 3 . Nobody was…have a good day good night from L.A. 

You're really overblowing this and making it about one player and not the team. 

Kakko was not single handledly beating the Bolts. Rangers lost to a better team and if Kakko played better he wouldn't even have been considered for a scratch. If you looked at his stats in a vacuum and removed the name in draft position, then what? No one would be surprised by the scratch.

You're flinging all this blame around, but 90% of the blame is on him. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

If CD were to intervene and make controversial scratching decisions over a well established and respected NHL coach, his relationship with that coach would be on fire and the coach would not be long of that team.  There is no evidence, or intuition, that would lead one to believe that that is what happened here.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to Puzzling Kaapo Kakko scratch clouds his Rangers future
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Kakko was not single handledly beating the Bolts. Rangers lost to a better team and if Kakko played better he wouldn't even have been considered for a scratch. If you looked at his stats in a vacuum and removed the name in draft position, then what? No one would be surprised by the scratch.

Agreed, though the thing that gets me is that the scratch was for an objectively, decisively worse player in Dryden Hunt. If it was for Sammy Blais I don't think I'm near as bothered. 

Regardless, I don't think Kakko moves the needle much in that game and that's on him to work on. He knows it too. 

• Phil changed the title to Puzzling Kaapo Kakko Scratch Clouds His Rangers Future
11 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Agreed, though the thing that gets me is that the scratch was for an objectively, decisively worse player in Dryden Hunt. If it was for Sammy Blais I don't think I'm near as bothered. 

Regardless, I don't think Kakko moves the needle much in that game and that's on him to work on. He knows it too. 

I don't look at it as a decision between Kakko and Hunt. It was between Kakko and Strome, based on line rushes. They had Panarin with Copp and Kakko in warmups. So that shows you where GGs head was at. 

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't look at it as a decision between Kakko and Hunt. It was between Kakko and Strome, based on line rushes. They had Panarin with Copp and Kakko in warmups. So that shows you where GGs head was at. 

That's somehow worse, because it means he actively chose Dryden Hunt as concretely in the lineup. 

10 hours ago, June1994 said:

So why did Gallant scratch Kaapo?

Why would Drury?

Neither person doing so would be a good decision. 

I agree that the skill level of Kakko vs Hunt is insanely lopsided. The contributions one makes in a game vs the other is also lopsided. 

I don't even understand why Hunt was used as much as he was vs any other option all season.  He STINKS. 

Poor decision to break up the only line that was generating any chances. But, you gotta move on. 

10 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Chytil was scoring goals, 7 in 20 games most of them in a handful of those games. Kakko and Laf had 2 each in 39 combined games.  Nobody was scoring, Kakko has no history of scoring ability in the NHL to date, you have to squint incredibly hard to say you've (not you personally) seen him show any kind of scoring prowess. Well, there was that one game against the flyers. 

They didn't lose the game because he got scratched, haven't seen this kind of passion for a marginally talented player since our man @Dude and Gauthier. 

I hope the kid comes back with an attitude and plays with emotion and becomes the player we were sold coming into the draft. We haven't seen that player, yet. 

Game one against Pitt? 

People are forgetting the kid missed most of the season and was pretty much put into the lineup just before the playoffs. He was kinda gaining traction and was an integral part of the kid line.

The 3 of them together (didn't get much out of any of them when separated) were generating better chances than the other lines. Sustained pressure in any game is something you need and these 3 brought it. 

Come on. Nobody in this league is dressing Dryden Hunt over Kappo Kakko. Not in any situation.  The chances of Hunt breaking a game open are minus infinity. Kakko on the other hand.    

And when Gauthier scores 25 goals on another NHL team next year', yall can kiss my ass. LOL. 

50 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

That's somehow worse, because it means he actively chose Dryden Hunt as concretely in the lineup. 

Yea over Kevin Rooney? Cancer in your left nut over your right one, IMO.

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea over Kevin Rooney? Cancer in your left nut over your right one, IMO.

Over Rooney, over Reaves, over Kakko, over (god help me) Gauthier...

If he puts in a guy like Rooney, I get it - you've got a center playing at less than 100% in Strome and you need an insurance marker. If Reaves, I get it - same reasoning as Blais - get someone more physically intimidating in there to create space and a little fear. Even Gauthier makes marginally more sense - this dude is fighting for his career and at least drives to the net here and there, which when you're getting boxed out like the Rangers were, maybe he can do something? 

Dryden Hunt is just the weirdest possible choice there. I don't get it, and I definitely don't get it as a deciding factor in putting the scratch decision between Kakko and Strome.

• Keeps it 100 1

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

If CD were to intervene and make controversial scratching decisions over a well established and respected NHL coach, his relationship with that coach would be on fire and the coach would not be long of that team.  There is no evidence, or intuition, that would lead one to believe that that is what happened here.

Ok GG made the horrible decision 

Why? Exhausted perhaps. Anxious about being Eliminated. GG why did you make That Decision? Did you talk it over with CD ? You’d think a Major Change in the line up that particular game deserved some brain storming 

No no I did this All by myself Chris had Nothing to do with this YA THINK? Not 

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Over Rooney, over Reaves, over Kakko, over (god help me) Gauthier...

If he puts in a guy like Rooney, I get it - you've got a center playing at less than 100% in Strome and you need an insurance marker. If Reaves, I get it - same reasoning as Blais - get someone more physically intimidating in there to create space and a little fear. Even Gauthier makes marginally more sense - this dude is fighting for his career and at least drives to the net here and there, which when you're getting boxed out like the Rangers were, maybe he can do something? 

Dryden Hunt is just the weirdest possible choice there. I don't get it, and I definitely don't get it as a deciding factor in putting the scratch decision between Kakko and Strome.

"Fresh legs". That means guys who haven't played.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

That too! Where did everyone go. Tampas defense?
All year long heard gotta get Igor some help needs goals and offense so he doesn’t have to face high shots every game and win the game. He’ll never last the whole year. Well they got some help at TDL and yes farther along than I thought Amazing year So to try and understand this scratch of KK is well We will never be told the truth 

I got it thanks for bearing with my ranting 

10 minutes ago, June1994 said:

That too! Where did everyone go. Tampas defense?
All year long heard gotta get Igor some help needs goals and offense so he doesn’t have to face high shots every game and win the game. He’ll never last the whole year. Well they got some help at TDL and yes farther along than I thought Amazing year So to try and understand this scratch of KK is well We will never be told the truth 

I got it thanks for bearing with my ranting 

Here's the truth: Kakko wasn't good enough to NOT have his coach consider scratching him.

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Here's the truth: Kakko wasn't good enough to NOT have his coach consider scratching him.

It's really no more complicated than that. 

Anybody know what Chytil's shooting % was in the playoffs? Compared to the rest of his career?

Edited by jsrangers