• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

No retention necessary I don’t think . Cap hit prorated and they are ufa at years end.

Pavelskis cap hit is 7, Radulov is 6.2. I don't know how they pro rate cap hits. Figured the salary gets pro rated, but cap hit is cap hit. I'm probably wrong. 

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

LindG1000 was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Pavelskis cap hit is 7, Radulov is 6.2. I don't know how they pro rate cap hits. Figured the salary gets pro rated, but cap hit is cap hit. I'm probably wrong. 

Cap hit is also prorated based on the number of days elapsed in the season. If we acquired them today, their cap hits would be ~42% of the number, so Pavelski would be around 3m and radulov around 2.6.

Space also works that way; our deadline space is going to allow us to take on like 30m in contracts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, G1000 said:

Cap hit is also prorated based on the number of days elapsed in the season. If we acquired them today, their cap hits would be ~42% of the number, so Pavelski would be around 3m and radulov around 2.6.

Space also works that way; our deadline space is going to allow us to take on like 30m in contracts.

Thanks for explaining it. Wasn't sure how it worked.  

• VINNY! 1

I don't want Radulov. Guy's toast. 

I think what happens after break, and Vince said something similar, Kakko plays on the 2nd line where he actually looked good. Laf on the 1st. Hopefully that works and they only have to worry about getting a 3rd line center (Pavelski would be ideal).

Assuming Kakko and Laff work in those positions, that leaves you with:

Kreider Zib Laf

Panarin Strome Kakko

Goat/Barron/Chytl, Pavelski, Goodrow

Hunt Rooney Reaves

I like that roster, honestly. It's deeper than most.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I don't want Radulov. Guy's toast. 

I think what happens after break, and Vince said something similar, Kakko plays on the 2nd line where he actually looked good. Laf on the 1st. Hopefully that works and they only have to worry about getting a 3rd line center (Pavelski would be ideal).

Assuming Kakko and Laff work in those positions, that leaves you with:

Kreider Zib Laf

Panarin Strome Kakko

Goat/Barron/Chytl, Pavelski, Goodrow

Hunt Rooney Reaves

I like that roster, honestly. It's deeper than most.

The problem is the third and fourth lines are still just where everyone else goes to hopefully find a role/place, like an island of leftover/misfit toys. They don't have an identity outside of the Rooney-Reaves duo, largely because Chytil is just a black hole of a player. Wherever he goes, he sucks ... everything into oblivion.

If the team is resigned to make Lafreniere and Kakko top-six RWs, fine, but the bottom-six should be carved out and well-defined. Any way you try, Chytil is the odd man out. He's big, but plays small, and undynamic hockey. And Barron probably isn't sniffing this roster in the playoffs unless he's the 13th forward.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Lehkonen-Pavelski-Goodrow

Hunt-Rooney-Reaves/Gauthier

That's a playoffs lineup.

It also gives you a legitimate scoring threat in Pavelski to play outside your top-six, or even in it depending on how things shake out. Because Goodrow can play center just fine, so if things get tight, you can move Pavelski up to, say, Kakko's spot, move Kakko down to 3RW, and still go with a defensively responsible checking unit of Lehkonen-Goodrow-Kakko.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

5 hours ago, Phil said:

The problem is the third and fourth lines are still just where everyone else goes to hopefully find a role/place, like an island of leftover/misfit toys. They don't have an identity outside of the Rooney-Reaves duo, largely because Chytil is just a black hole of a player. Wherever he goes, he sucks ... everything into oblivion.

If the team is resigned to make Lafreniere and Kakko top-six RWs, fine, but the bottom-six should be carved out and well-defined. Any way you try, Chytil is the odd man out. He's big, but plays small, and undynamic hockey. And Barron probably isn't sniffing this roster in the playoffs unless he's the 13th forward.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Lehkonen-Pavelski-Goodrow

Hunt-Rooney-Reaves/Gauthier

That's a playoffs lineup.

It also gives you a legitimate scoring threat in Pavelski to play outside your top-six, or even in it depending on how things shake out. Because Goodrow can play center just fine, so if things get tight, you can move Pavelski up to, say, Kakko's spot, move Kakko down to 3RW, and still go with a defensively responsible checking unit of Lehkonen-Goodrow-Kakko.

Yeah that's fair. And easier to acquire a 3 line wing than a 2nd or 1st.

So, yeah. I hear you and I like that.

• Like 1

The way I see it, Drury is in a position to pick a few paths forward...

Stand Pat: I would understand this path. I'd be a bit disappointed that it would feel like pissing the season away, but I'd get it. Live to fight another day when it's more clear what some of these young guys are, in particular Lafreniere and Kakko...and to a lesser degree, Chytil - who is still only 22.

Make Small Moves: I would be against this path. I don't think the team is a couple of small/safe moves from being able to go pound for pound with the top dogs. I'd see this as wasting assets, and I feel like this is the most "I dunno what to do but I'm scared to commit to improving the roster but I also don't want to sit on my hands with boss-man watching" choice Drury can make.

Go Big: My preferred route, as long as it doesn't obviously sandbag the future (i.e., trading away the cornerstones of the rebuild like Kakko, Lafreniere, etc.). There are no guarantees our top guys maintain this level of play moving forward. There are no guarantees Kakko and Lafreniere progress into franchise players. If they do, there are no guarantees it happens any time soon. Even if Drury goes this route, he will still have assets to work with moving forward. There is also plenty in the cupboard to work with here, and there will be plenty of time to restock it down the road when/if Kakko/Lafreniere take over this team. This is wave one of Cup contention. Strike while the iron is hot. This has been the plan since the day they signed Panarin right after they traded for Trouba. It wasn't to piss these guys away for the length of their contracts.

Almost any prospect should be up for grabs. The only two I would be hesitant on are Othmann and Cuylle. Their ELCs can be delayed and should be a part of the next wave of cost-controlled youth. A few younger roster players who might have some value should also be available: Chytil, Hajek, Gauthier, etc...unless Drury plays the long game and stays pat, we shouldn't be sacrificing a Cup run here to wait and see if they will blossom into impactful NHL players.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Stand Pat: I would understand this path. I'd be a bit disappointed that it would feel like pissing the season away, but I'd get it. Live to fight another day when it's more clear what some of these young guys are, in particular Lafreniere and Kakko...and to a lesser degree, Chytil - who is still only 22.

Make Small Moves: I would be against this path. I don't think the team is a couple of small/safe moves from being able to go pound for pound with the top dogs. I'd see this as wasting assets, and I feel like this is the most "I dunno what to do but I'm scared to commit to improving the roster but I also don't want to sit on my hands with boss-man watching" choice Drury can make.

Go Big: My preferred route, as long as it doesn't obviously sandbag the future (i.e., trading away the cornerstones of the rebuild like Kakko, Lafreniere, etc.). There are no guarantees our top guys maintain this level of play moving forward. There are no guarantees Kakko and Lafreniere progress into franchise players. If they do, there are no guarantees it happens any time soon. Even if Drury goes this route, he will still have assets to work with moving forward. There is also plenty in the cupboard to work with here, and there will be plenty of time to restock it down the road when/if Kakko/Lafreniere take over this team. This is wave one of Cup contention. Strike while the iron is hot. This has been the plan since the day they signed Panarin right after they traded for Trouba. It wasn't to piss these guys away for the length of their contracts.

Almost any prospect should be up for grabs. The only two I would be hesitant on are Othmann and Cuylle. Their ELCs can be delayed and should be a part of the next wave of cost-controlled youth. A few younger roster players who might have some value should also be available: Chytil, Hajek, Gauthier, etc...unless Drury plays the long game and stays pat, we shouldn't be sacrificing a Cup run here to wait and see if they will blossom into impactful NHL players.

Welcome back.

I agree with most of this, but I'd draw one small distinction. Small moves and no moves is the same end result: failing to actually improve a good but flawed roster when you're never going to have this kind of cap opportunity for the foreseeable future. It's hard to argue either isn't a failure of leadership. Because even if you don't win the Cup, going far in the playoffs has tremendous value to young players who may need to learn to win before they can do it. Ask Pittsbugh if they regret the Hossa trade.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I was just reading the Canucks want Schneider, either Kakko or Lafraniere and the 2022 #1 for Miller.  
There’s no way I make that trade.  

Reading where, though? Fan boards? Other fans probably read half the shit on this board and laugh.

"Let's make a 3 team trade where 2 other teams retain, and we get the best player, while giving up nothing of value for us."

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

• LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reading where, though? Fan boards? Other fans probably read half the shit on this board and laugh.

"Let's make a 3 team trade where 2 other teams retain, and we get the best player, while giving up nothing of value for us."

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

Hockeywriters.com

Can't say I ever really read there though, I just stumbled across the article.

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

Why are teams going to settle for 2nd tier Rangers prospects when they can get top prospects from other teams?

I've been saying this to Ozzy since the last time we got together to watch a game.

Because other teams also aren't going to offer their top prospects. Take a look at any major deal of late, the only team actively trading top prospects without a care is Vegas.

9 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Hockeywriters.com

Can't say I ever really read there though, I just stumbled across the article.

@Phil wrote for Hockeywriters. Not that Phil is without connections, but these aren't guys with really legit NHL sources. I imagine what you read was speculation based on something one of the talking heads i.e. Seravalli, Friedman, Marek, etc. said.

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

@Phil wrote for Hockeywriters. Not that Phil is without connections, but these aren't guys with really legit NHL sources. I imagine what you read was speculation based on something one of the talking heads i.e. Seravalli, Friedman, Marek, etc. said.

Almost certainly this.

21 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Standing pat isn't an option. It literally won't happen. The last administration was fired by Dolan for inaction amongst other issues. Drury doesn't have the option to not make a move.

While I hope you are right, Gorton/JD's inaction came across an entire offseason when it was clear that some action was needed after they got manhandled by the Canes in the play-in. They stood pat and it left everyone scratching their heads. Then the Wilson and Islanders games happened at the end of the following season, which was confirmation of what everyone knew many months prior, except for Gorton and JD apparently. I'm not sure it's as clear-cut of a scenario that they need to sell off prospects for rentals to go for a Cup run yet. I think it's a bit stronger of an argument to stand pat now than it was back then. You can point to too many holes to plug in to be serious contenders, or that teams historically in their first year of real playoff contention don't generally have playoff success...these are a couple of pretty valid reasons.

Edited by rmc51

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Welcome back.

I agree with most of this, but I'd draw one small distinction. Small moves and no moves is the same end result: failing to actually improve a good but flawed roster when you're never going to have this kind of cap opportunity for the foreseeable future. It's hard to argue either isn't a failure of leadership. Because even if you don't win the Cup, going far in the playoffs has tremendous value to young players who may need to learn to win before they can do it. Ask Pittsbugh if they regret the Hossa trade.

Thanks Phil.

I agree. I don't think Pittsburgh regrets Hossa at all. Getting the equivalent of a Hossa falls under the "go big" option for me, though, for sure.

Re: cap opportunity, I'm not sure. There always seems to be ways to make it work or to buy cap space (see: Tampa).

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

While I hope you are right, Gorton/JD's inaction came across an entire offseason when it was clear that some action was needed after they got manhandled by the Canes in the play-in. They stood pat and it left everyone scratching their heads. Then the Wilson and Islanders games happened at the end of the following season, which was confirmation of what everyone knew many months prior, except for Gorton and JD apparently. I'm not sure it's as clear-cut of a scenario that they need to sell off prospects for rentals to go for a Cup run yet. I think it's a bit stronger of an argument to stand pat now than it was back then. You can point to too many holes to plug in to be serious contenders, or that teams historically in their first year of real playoff contention don't generally have playoff success...these are a couple of pretty valid reasons.

Yeah, no. They need to gear up now. What's the incentive to do so before and not now? Yes, they're a more physically capable team now, but are also one of the worst 5v5 teams in hockey. They're no longer even capable of generating opportunities off the rush as they had been in the past. Most anyone with a voice in hockey as said that the Rangers need to improve because they're being carried heavily by Shesterkin. Inaction isn't an option.

26 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Othmann ,Cuylle  over Lafreniere ,Kakko number one and two in the draft ,is it because they haven't suit up at the NHL level yet,and been expose ,we also had very high hopes for Lundkvist ,and now he seems to have lost his value because they rushed him into the nhl