• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

2 hours ago, Karan said:

While I like the idea of Pettersson, there's this worrying theory in my head of late that Turk might not be the coach for younger upcoming players. I didn't watch him enough in Vegas and Florida to know if there's such a trend and so this theory might be completely out to lunch. But this year it seems while the veterans on the team are flourishing, far too many of the younger players have seemingly regressed (and Kravtsov wasn't even given the chance he was hoping for). Now some of that is bound to be on the players themselves.

But for all the fanfare Gallant has been receiving (and don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of what the guy's come in and done so far), part of me is left wondering that he might not be the right coach for young developing players, and one that prefers to run more with the established vets. 

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

On 1/24/2022 at 2:23 PM, josh said:

so that surprise swing...

what if it's Pettersson, instead? Vancouver will be moving guys, due to salary issues. He's been bad, and disgruntled. Even mentioned wanting to play for a winner.

I mean, we know how they always wanted Elias, whether it was that Devil or Pettersson at the draft.

Could the Rangers fit Horvat under the cap for next year or beyond, WITH Strome signed to a reasonable deal?

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Could the Rangers fit Horvat under the cap for next year or beyond, WITH Strome signed to a reasonable deal?

The problem would be that Horvat has 1 year left and an UFA. They wouldn’t have the space to re-sign him, even if they could squeeze in Strome 

So just throwing this out there. Winnipeg is kind of reeling and wallowing out there.  They also have a shit ton of money tied up in contracts so expiring guys probably aren’t in the cards to re-up. They also traded away their 22 2nd, their own 3rd (although they do own the blue jackets 3rd) and their 4th.  They traded away their 23 2nd also. If they continue in mediocrity, they may look to get some assets back. Really they probably look for picks. 

I wonder what Andrew Copp would cost ? Plays center. Mid 50% faceoff guy. Plays in all situations. And is on an expiring contract. 

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

So just throwing this out there. Winnipeg is kind of reeling and wallowing out there.  They also have a shit ton of money tied up in contracts so expiring guys probably aren’t in the cards to re-up. They also traded away their 22 2nd, their own 3rd (although they do own the blue jackets 3rd) and their 4th.  They traded away their 23 2nd also. If they continue in mediocrity, they may look to get some assets back. Really they probably look for picks. 

I wonder what Andrew Copp would cost ? Plays center. Mid 50% faceoff guy. Plays in all situations. And is on an expiring contract. 

I mean, I'd rather ... 

WhoppingRightBudgie-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 2

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I mean sure, I’d be up for that but either retention, which I don’t see a cap strapped team doing, or bye bye Strome. 

Would you really need Strome? He wouldn't be much cheaper, either.

14 minutes ago, josh said:

Would you really need Strome? He wouldn't be much cheaper, either.

I don’t really like screwing with the nucleus of our team that’s just starting to gel. It’s lateral just for the sake of trying to say we are improving. 
career 46% from the dot. Not like Scheifele is some big hitter for a guy that size. Definitely a bit of a step up offensively but I don’t know. If he doesn’t happen to gel with Panarin then what? We would just have taken a step backwards. 

26 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

As I posted in another thread.  K'Andre and Strome for JT Miller. Both teams get what they need and it works cap wise. And the Rangers are supposedly "next level" on bringing JT back to NY.

I’ll bite.chow though do the Canucks get what they want by obtaining a soon to be UFA in Strome?  If they just wanted to dump salary for cap reasons they could trade us Miller for a pick or two and a prospect. 

6 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

As I posted in another thread.  K'Andre and Strome for JT Miller. Both teams get what they need and it works cap wise. And the Rangers are supposedly "next level" on bringing JT back to NY.

They want Schneider to pair with Hughes 

8 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

Moving Strome to get Miller is borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. It makes less than zero sense for both teams.

Strome and Miller for JT feels like a colossal overpay.  Not only from a telent perspective, but it breaks up some really great chemistry for Panarin.. K. Miller, I have no issue moving as he is the textbook "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" guy so far..  

Edited by Flynn
  • LMFAO 1
  • VINNY! 1

I have no desire, whatsoever, to dismantle what works for what we hope will work. Adding Miller (retained) to bolster the C/W ranks is great. Adding Miller to replace Strome, who we know has tremendous chemistry with, and is highly-productive with Panarin, is not great.

Same goes for Chychrun. In place of Lindgren? No. To bolster the defense? Yes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 3

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

I get $2,582,698 in space (Kakko 2.4, Blais 1.8, Kravtsov 1, Nemeth in Hartford 1.75) left to sign Strome

27 minutes ago, josh said:

I get $2,582,698 in space (Kakko 2.4, Blais 1.8, Kravtsov 1, Nemeth in Hartford 1.75) left to sign Strome

You can give yourself ~ 2.2M back there by finding a way to off Nemeth, keeping Blais on his QO, and dropping Kakko some (if that's reasonable)

https://theathletic.com/3091944/2022/01/26/trading-tomas-hertl-and-timo-meier-where-will-the-coyotes-play-next-year-duhatschek-mailbag/

Kravtsov’s status came up the last time I did a mailbag and my answer is going to be similar: It depends mostly on how teams outside of the Rangers organization evaluate his upside and their view of how he will eventually adapt to the North American game. Right or wrong, the fact that he isn’t here, apprenticing in the minors, is going to be seen as a red flag by some suitors because it would signal to them a willingness to flee back to the KHL if things go off the rails even slightly.

What Kravtsov will need is an ally in some NHL front office somewhere, a voice that genuinely believes that if he’s given the chance, he’ll shine in a top-six role and the uneven start to his NHL career will be quickly forgotten. That, in turn, will determine his value. So, then it comes down to acquisition cost. It’s a gamble for the acquiring team. I’m willing to guess that there’d be teams out there willing to bet a second-round pick that they can get Kravtsov going, but no one – to date – has been willing to pony up a first-rounder for his rights. So probably a stalemate for now but it is also probable that if the Rangers lowered the price, someone will step in and make an offer.

Might be worth starting to look at MTL and CBJ as potential landing spots for ol' Vitali. 

35 minutes ago, G1000 said:

You can give yourself ~ 2.2M back there by finding a way to off Nemeth, keeping Blais on his QO, and dropping Kakko some (if that's reasonable)

whats the QO for Blais? I dont know how to figure that shit out.

nevermind, 1.6. Doesnt save much.

With Nemeth buried, its only ~half his cap his.

That's only 1.325 in additional space.

3.9 in cap space.

You can change Kakko, but you still have Horvat, Lafreniere, Miller, Barron to re-sign the following year with no 'cap' coming off the books.

35 minutes ago, G1000 said:

https://theathletic.com/3091944/2022/01/26/trading-tomas-hertl-and-timo-meier-where-will-the-coyotes-play-next-year-duhatschek-mailbag/

Might be worth starting to look at MTL and CBJ as potential landing spots for ol' Vitali. 

I'm still of the belief that those guys wont deal with Drury.

If so, I'm more interested in Roslovic/Domi over Lehkonen/Chiarot.

Some people have those Columbus guys getting moved for practically nothing.