• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Face Georgiev Issue

Sod16

57 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's gonna be awesome when he puts up 100 points and I still hear about how he actually sucks because he was -6 in a week, and slammed a penalty box door while we dress two literal cobs of corn on our 3rd pair.

He’s +12 which is 7th in the league for +/- on D so no worry about that -6 

The time we miss him most is in ot. God it would be so nice to not see Trouba out there on the 3 v 3. Not sure why they don’t use Lundkvist at that time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Keirik said:

Jt? He takes plenty of faceoffs and is one of the better faceoff guys in the league. Vancouver is just fortunate because they have Horvat who is also good in faceoffs. Both are usually in the 55% won range

Meehhhh. Last season Miller took 526 faceoffs. 

In comparison, Strome took 743

Chytil took 304

I wouldn't say he takes a lot of draws. Especially if people are saying he played center. His %age is good no doubt,  but it's not like it's his forte or like you can count on that % sticking if h gets more opportunities.  

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Meehhhh. Last season Miller took 526 faceoffs. 

In comparison, Strome took 743

Chytil took 304

I wouldn't say he takes a lot of draws. Especially if people are saying he played center. His %age is good no doubt,  but it's not like it's his forte or like you can count on that % sticking if h gets more opportunities.  

I'm not sure what to tell ya. He regularly takes draws. Vancouver is blessed to have 3 good face-off guys. He is one of them. 500 draws in a shortened season is not an occasional faceifff guy. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I'm not sure what to tell ya. He regularly takes draws. Vancouver is blessed to have 3 good face-off guys. He is one of them. 500 draws in a shortened season is not an occasional faceifff guy. 

Like I said. Strome took 743 in the same season. Chytil 304. He doesn't take 2nd line center numbers, and just over a 3rd line center who missed a 20 somewhat games...

Not really regularly... Just saying. 

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Like I said. Strome took 743 in the same season. Chytil 304. He doesn't take 2nd line center numbers, and just over a 3rd line center who missed a 20 somewhat games...

Not really regularly... Just saying. 

But see, you aren’t correct just in this part. He’s in the top six and takes draws in the top six. But he plays RW at times and on a team with Bo Horvat. So PP unit 1, he won’t take the faceoff. Horvat will. 
he still is second on his team in overall faceoffs. They just don’t NEED him as much on a team with two other good faceoff guys so it lowers his overall number in comparison to a team like the Rangers that previously really had no one good from the dot besides ziby.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

But see, you aren’t correct just in this part. He’s in the top six and takes draws in the top six. But he plays RW at times and on a team with Bo Horvat. So PP unit 1, he won’t take the faceoff. Horvat will. 
he still is second on his team in overall faceoffs. They just don’t NEED him as much on a team with two other good faceoff guys so it lowers his overall number in comparison to a team like the Rangers that previously really had no one good from the dot besides ziby.

Huh? I'm talking about last year and prior.

When Hovart was on the ice, it's not like he was the next up. Looks like they were going with Sutter instead. With Sutter out and Beagle gone, it looks like he's taking a bit more this season. Nevermind they have issues with their 3rd and 4th centers being awful on draws.. Let's see how he fairs with more responsibility. 

I'm not saying he wasn't the top option in years past on the teams he's been on (that's obvious). I'm saying he's not even the 2nd, even in offensive situations as a top 6 player. That may be impart to who he plays with. Has he been with Pettersson? Pettersson has been brutal on faceoffs,  but maybe they've been giving him a longer leash, and in doing so, it affected the amount of draws Miller could have taken? 

According to this article from the beginning of the month, faceoffs and PK are an issue with Vancouver this year.  The things Miller is apparently more involved in with Sutter out

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/some-faceoffs-do-matter-and-the-vancouver-canucks-have-been-brutal-at-them

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Huh? I'm talking about last year and prior.

When Hovart was on the ice, it's not like he was the next up. Looks like they were going with Sutter instead. With Sutter out and Beagle gone, it looks like he's taking a bit more this season. Nevermind they have issues with their 3rd and 4th centers being awful on draws.. Let's see how he fairs with more responsibility. 

I'm not saying he wasn't the top option in years past on the teams he's been on (that's obvious). I'm saying he's not even the 2nd, even in offensive situations as a top 6 player. That may be impart to who he plays with. Has he been with Pettersson? Pettersson has been brutal on faceoffs,  but maybe they've been giving him a longer leash, and in doing so, it affected the amount of draws Miller could have taken? 

According to this article from the beginning of the month, faceoffs and PK are an issue with Vancouver this year.  The things Miller is apparently more involved in with Sutter out

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/some-faceoffs-do-matter-and-the-vancouver-canucks-have-been-brutal-at-them

21/22 faceoffs taken

Horvat 476 

Miller 259

No one else close

20/21 faceoffs taken

Horvat  1225 

Miller  526

Sutter 497

19/20 faceoffs taken

Horvat 1483

Miller  718

Beagle  678

Every year on the Canucks he’s second on the team in overall faceoffs. I’m not even sure what your debate is here? He’s in the top 6 and takes regular draws in the top 6. 

• VINNY! 1

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

21/22 faceoffs taken

Horvat 476 

Miller 259

No one else close

20/21 faceoffs taken

Horvat  1225 

Miller  526

Sutter 497

19/20 faceoffs taken

Horvat 1483

Miller  718

Beagle  678

Every year on the Canucks he’s second on the team in overall faceoffs. I’m not even sure what your debate is here? He’s in the top 6 and takes regular draws in the top 6. 

At a glance I thought Sutter and Beagle took more than they did. Didn't bother counting Millers (duh). I stand corrected. 

• VINNY! 1

So when does Georgiev start next?  vs. SJ or vs. Chicago next weekend?  Rangers have 3 back to backs in December.  

I'd probably go Georgiev vs. SJ (1st of back to back), Chicago (1st of back to back), and vs. Arizona (2nd of back to back).

If you do Georgiev vs. Chicago, then @ Chicago, he'll be playing 2 games in a row.  2nd game after @ Chicago is @ Avalanche 

Edited by Blue Heaven

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

I'm going to my first game at the garden in ten years in December and terrified I'm gonna be stuck watching Georgiev.

That fear is real lol.

I actually don't think there's any way they start him at home though.

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

You have to think they're looking for an upgrade here. Whether it's Huska or Kinkaid, or someone outside the org (Holtby?) - they can't go into the playoffs or a playoff run with Georgiev as the backup playing as he is. 

I wouldn't t mind Holtby at all but I just don't know how much the upgrade is there. He's taken a steep nose dive in two years. Three if u count him losing his job in Washington. Still, first round game 3 and Shesty goes down, I feel much better bringing in a guy with a cup on his last legs than someone that never had legs. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:51 PM, Keirik said:

I wouldn't t mind Holtby at all but I just don't know how much the upgrade is there. He's taken a steep nose dive in two years. Three if u count him losing his job in Washington. Still, first round game 3 and Shesty goes down, I feel much better bringing in a guy with a cup on his last legs than someone that never had legs. 

Fair enough, though I'd probably flag that getting to "average player we can start with some regularity" is a significant upgrade over this version of Georgiev. 

Holtby's been solid if unspectacular this year. That's really all you need from a backup, anyway. 

There are a few other options out there that might make some sense, but none who are really playoff tested as a just-in-case option.

• VINNY! 1

I don't see why they are not sending him on a two week conditioning stint in Hartford where he would get 5-6 starts in short order to right himself.  Kinkaid could start one game in New York during that time.  I suppose Georgiev would have to consent to that.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:46 PM, Keirik said:

What’s Devin Dubnyk up to these days?  Wonder if he’s still interested in having a career. 

I must have missed it, but it looks like he signed a PTO with Charlotte in the AHL today