• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Face Georgiev Issue

Sod16

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I thought he rebounded fine after the rough start. One or maybe even both weren't even his fault anyway.

He was fine last night.

Doesn't make him good or the long term solution, but he's stopping pucks.

I don't mind the chip on his shoulder. Whatever motivates him. He's played pretty good, it's a good chance for him, and perhaps Shesterkin's injury came at the right time, as Georgiev really couldn't play any worse than he was and had nowhere to go but up.

At this point, there's no way I'm rushing Shesterkin back.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, phillyb said:

He did. He still sucks and he has a chip on his shoulder that shouldn’t be there. 

I think his POV is that he's in a contract year and not playing. His career is on the line. I don't fault him for being upset, but I fault him for talking about it to the media in the way he did. Just say "Glad we're winning, wish I could play more."

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

He was fine last night.

Doesn't make him good or the long term solution, but he's stopping pucks.

Yes. For these last two games he's played like a backup should. They usually aren't great, and just hope they play well enough to keep you in the game. I agree, he's still definitely not the long term solution in that role.

7 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Finally has a save % above .900 (.902) and a GAA below 3 (2.85). I guess we really do just need to find someone that can come in colder and steal a game or two, if we're going to make Igor a health-permitting workhorse

Or maybe just come to the realization that he's not and find "soft pockets" in the schedule where Geo can start 3-4 games in a row against some weaker opponents.

Igor has shown throughout his career, even in the NHL, that durability is not a hallmark for him.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Or maybe just come to the realization that he's not and find "soft pockets" in the schedule where Geo can start 3-4 games in a row against some weaker opponents.

Igor has shown throughout his career, even in the NHL, that durability is not a hallmark for him.

I'm just not sure how realistic that is, depending on schedules. It's hard to have a backup that requires consistency to be good. Plus, one that doesn't even want to be a backup or really be here, based on his interviews with the media and overall attitude.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

And Geo is clearly a better goalie when he plays more consistently. Treating this as more of a tandem and less of a starter-backup scenario may not be the worst idea.

45 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm just not sure how realistic that is, depending on schedules. It's hard to have a backup that requires consistency to be good. Plus, one that doesn't even want to be a backup or really be here, based on his interviews with the media and overall attitude.

Well, he's here now so we need to figure out a way to utilize him and not have an automatic L when he comes in after sitting for 10 days.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, he's here now so we need to figure out a way to utilize him and not have an automatic L when he comes in after sitting for 10 days.

Lets utilize him by trading him and get someone that actually fits, instead of catering to a backup goalie. Raanta, Talbot, didn't have these issues. He does. We need the cap space next year anyway. He's a pending RFA with arbitration rights. If he gets 30 starts and does well, that'll screw our cap.

Edited by Cash or Czech