• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Face Georgiev Issue

Sod16

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

The problem with Huska is that while his numbers this year are good in a handful of games, the rest of his AHL career is pretty trash

I've had the pleasure/displeasure of watching Huska for a number of years now. He's always had potential because he's really quick on his pads and can cover a lot of net down low very well. He's an easy to solve goaltender, though, because everything beats him up high. Not even like a top form Jonathan Quick where you have to get him moving laterally to open up top. It's just open. Dude can't catch for shit.

• VINNY! 1

3 minutes ago, josh said:

Free agent I think

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. A phone call to see where he’s at mentally and physically could be worth a shot. Honestly, I didn’t think Kinkaid looked very good at all last year so he’s not an answer either imo. 

2 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I've had the pleasure/displeasure of watching Huska for a number of years now. He's always had potential because he's really quick on his pads and can cover a lot of net down low very well. He's an easy to solve goaltender, though, because everything beats him up high. Not even like a top form Jonathan Quick where you have to get him moving laterally to open up top. It's just open. Dude can't catch for shit.

If there is one thing NHL caliber players will do is target an exposed weakness. Can’t have a large hole in your game at the NHL level and expect any success.

14 minutes ago, Keirik said:

If there is one thing NHL caliber players will do is target an exposed weakness. Can’t have a large hole in your game at the NHL level and expect any success.

Right. I'm happy with the progress Huska has made this season given how pedestrian he'd been, but he's really just of use to Hartford. He's still young enough that he may still carve out an NHL career, it just won't be starting anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. A phone call to see where he’s at mentally and physically could be worth a shot. Honestly, I didn’t think Kinkaid looked very good at all last year so he’s not an answer either imo. 

While I completely agree on Kinkaid, at this point, even if it’s temporary, it may need to be done. I just don’t see how you can justify playing Georgiev another game after last night, and there are going to be games where Shesterkin needs a breather coming up at some point.

56 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

While I completely agree on Kinkaid, at this point, even if it’s temporary, it may need to be done. I just don’t see how you can justify playing Georgiev another game after last night, and there are going to be games where Shesterkin needs a breather coming up at some point.

You can’t. Losing points in December because you have to start a goalie with an .850 could be the difference between being third in our division and fighting for the last wildcard spot. I’d rather have Kinkaid than Geo right now but it’s only because maybe he has an. .880 save % instead of .850

Either way, we need to acquire someone

Not sure why people are saying Kinkaid isn't the answer.  He seemed like a good locker room guy. He's been around.  Had an OK NHL career and played well enough to get the Devils to the playoffs that one year. He's a NYer and knows his role is to be the backup.  His overall career numbers are nothing to shake a stick at. I thought he was pretty damn solid last year.  

He's the answer for this season. Maybe sprinkle Huska and Wall in there to see what you have.. 

But yeah. Kick Georgiev to the curb.  Done.

Kinkaid started off well last year and overall was not too bad.  I think he would be preferable for a half dozen starts over two months until a good alternative can be found.  In the short term, the question is who gives us a better chance to win, Kinkaid or Georgiev, and presently, the answer is Kinkaid.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

You can’t. Losing points in December because you have to start a goalie with an .850 could be the difference between being third in our division and fighting for the last wildcard spot. I’d rather have Kinkaid than Geo right now but it’s only because maybe he has an. .880 save % instead of .850

Either way, we need to acquire someone

Yep, totally agree. Should have been a point of emphasis in the off-season and I don’t understand why it wasn’t.

Kinkaid game log last year

9 games

.889  relief L

.885 L

.1.000 in relief L

1.000 shutout W

.883 L in ot ( Vorachek undressed)

.966 W

.842 W

.773  L

.933 W came in relief 

9 games, 7 starts

3 wins, 2 losses, 1 ot loss, 1 shutout

2.59 gas .898 save % 

Its alright, but it’s all over the place. What you need from a backup is just consistency. Doesn’t have to be outstanding but he has to at least have an e pelted performance. Can’t have it be ja blind roll of the dice. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's another way to look at this, which is that the Rangers aren't a good defensive team and rely too heavily on a superhuman goalie.

A modest defensive improvement could work wonders for Geo's confidence. 

I mean theoretically yes, should help Igor too. 

But if you look at the majority of goals Geo lets in, I dont think defense wont make much of a difference. 

This team is probably 1 more legit scorer away from being really dangerous. I really think we can go on a run here IF we square up this backup goaltending situation. Igor is the real deal and I feel like we have a shot every game he plays. Conversely, Georgiev is not an NHL goalie and he is absolutely killing this team. It’s not that he’s a 0, he’s actually a big time negative. Kinkaid is at least serviceable and won’t get you constantly beat. He’s a steady professional goalie and will give you a chance most nights. Call him up and let’s get ready for a run.

I think we all agree Geo sucks I think we're all leaning towards but will soon find out while the others maybe cheaper (if he gets waived and claimed- hopefully). Right now it's anybody but Geo which is great but imo we don't have a solid backup ready to step in. Which again imo is a poor job those upstairs, past and present. Igor can't carry this team on his back for the full season at this pace that's my bet.

Getting a solid vet backup on the cheap shouldn't of been difficult when you none of the young guys are ready to step in.  They bet on the wrong horse and overpaid in the process.

43 minutes ago, Rangers845 said:

This team is probably 1 more legit scorer away from being really dangerous.

No ... They are defensively terrible and rely on stellar goaltending to do anything. 

Tbey need competent D way more than a winger. They are at the bottom of the league in every defensive metric. 

• VINNY! 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

No ... They are defensively terrible and rely on stellar goaltending to do anything. 

Tbey need competent D way more than a winger. They are at the bottom of the league in every defensive metric. 

totally agree, that's why they just can't role in the next stiff as a backup goalie with the D being sieves thinking it's going to change much.

A solid backup doesn’t turn our tide to ‘let’s go’ and a team capable of making a serious march to the playoffs. While the Buffalo D looked like a clown car in period two, we had our own circus to contend with that period. 

We need a reliable backup in net, but also another legit scorer, a face-off guy you can depend on AND another good D man to shore up our squad for a proper, sustained playoff push/run.  

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

9 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

A solid backup doesn’t turn our tide to ‘let’s go’ and a team capable of making a serious march to the playoffs. While the Buffalo D looked like a clown car in period two, we had our own circus to contend with that period. 

We need a reliable backup in net, but also another legit scorer, a face-off guy you can depend on AND another good D man to shore up our squad for a proper, sustained playoff push/run.  

We need JT Miller. Top 6 guy that is good on faceoffs and provides offense. 5.25m next year as well. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

Georgiev has been absolutely terrible. I think it crushed him when Shesterkin came over and played so well and jumped over him. He needs to spend some time in Hartford and try to gain that confidence. Kinkaid I think would fair well because he knows what it’s like to be a back up. I’m willing to take that chance right now, even if it’s just to get G his confidence back in the AHL. Something has to be done.

• Cheers 1