• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Face Georgiev Issue

Sod16

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Lets utilize him by trading him and get someone that actually fits, instead of catering to a backup goalie. Raanta, Talbot, didn't have these issues. He does. We need the cap space next year anyway. He's a pending RFA with arbitration rights. If he gets 30 starts and does well, that'll screw our cap.

That's easier said than done. Who would want him?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's easier said than done. Who would want him?

How about our old pals in Arizona? Ottawa, or even Chicago if Fleury retires? Below is where I've gotten so far in constructing the roster. Assuming Blais' contract remains the same and we can re-sign Strome for $5.5mil and Kakko to $2.25mil (have no idea how accurate that is). We don't have any space for more than a Kinkaid-esque back-up or more than one extra skater. 

Basically spells out Georgiev as a goner, unless we let Strome walk. And this is only if the cap increases by $1mil.

spacer.png

Edited by Cash or Czech

8 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

How about our old pals in Arizona? Ottawa, or even Chicago if Fleury retires? Below is where I've gotten so far in constructing the roster. Assuming Blais' contract remains the same and we can re-sign Strome for $5.5mil and Kakko to $2.25mil (have no idea how accurate that is). We don't have any space for more than a Kinkaid-esque back-up or more than one extra skater. 

Basically spells out Georgiev as a goner, unless we let Strome walk. And this is only if the cap increases by $1mil.

spacer.png

Geo is a goner but there's 70%(?) of this season left, that's what I'm talking about. You have to get the most out of him, especially when he's playing like this....Because Kinkaid sucks. His best is Geo's worst.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Geo is a goner but there's 70%(?) of this season left, that's what I'm talking about. You have to get the most out of him, especially when he's playing like this....Because Kinkaid sucks. His best is Geo's worst.

I just don't see Gallant giving Georgiev a run of 3-4 games in a row or playing them in a tandem. Quinn didn't let Shesterkin play in back to backs, Gallant is having no hesitations on workload and I'm not sure the injury is related to workload. It's a complicated issue. I agree that Georgiev is the best insurance policy if Shesterkin gets injured again. But if he doesn't and he eats the lion's share of starts, Georgiev is one of the worst options for a spot-starting backup.

6 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I just don't see Gallant giving Georgiev a run of 3-4 games in a row or playing them in a tandem. Quinn didn't let Shesterkin play in back to backs, Gallant is having no hesitations on workload and I'm not sure the injury is related to workload. It's a complicated issue. I agree that Georgiev is the best insurance policy if Shesterkin gets injured again. But if he doesn't and he eats the lion's share of starts, Georgiev is one of the worst options for a spot-starting backup.

And that's the point LOL...We are stuck with Geo right now. He's incredibly hard to trade unless someone buys this streak he's on now. But are we better with Kinkaid? I'm not sure.

So what's the alt? You have to have a system that keeps everyone fresh, not just the starter. It's December, not April.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

And that's the point LOL...We are stuck with Geo right now. He's incredibly hard to trade unless someone buys this streak he's on now. But are we better with Kinkaid? I'm not sure.

So what's the alt? You have to have a system that keeps everyone fresh, not just the starter. It's December, not April.

Move Georgiev to a team that needs a starter. Acquire a true backup that can start cold and play well, as well as be able to jump in if/when Shesterkin gets hurt and assume the role of starter. All while playing for league minimum. I don't think I'm being that unreasonable 😉

• LOL 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

I think we should keep Geo for the rest of the season, as he seems to be doing well when given regular duty, which could easily happen again given Sheshty's track record.

I heard some interesting stats watching Hartford's game the other day.  Kinky is 4-0 in shootouts stopping all nine shots.  Huska has allowed 6 goals on 12 and is winless in shootouts.  I'm ok with Kinky starting in Arizona, although we may be entrusting him with stopping what may be a pretty bad skid by then.

• TroCheckmark 1

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I think we should keep Geo for the rest of the season, as he seems to be doing well when given regular duty, which could easily happen again given Sheshty's track record.

I heard some interesting stats watching Hartford's game the other day.  Kinky is 4-0 in shootouts stopping all nine shots.  Huska has allowed 6 goals on 12 and is winless in shootouts.  I'm ok with Kinky starting in Arizona, although we may be entrusting him with stopping what may be a pretty bad skid by then.

The way AG had been playing, yes, the Rangers should keep Georgie for the rest of the season. Here's Georgie's record, , since Shesty left in the Sharks game:

4+games: 3-1-0, GA/G 1.21, SV% 0.956

If AG will continue to play like this, his trade value certainly increases by the end of the season. Salary cap wise, it's doubtful that the Rangers can afford to keep him anyway.

Unless Turk throws Kinkaid to the wolfs, like he did with Huska to protect AG...😉, Georgie will start tonight and he may, or may not come up big against the Avalanche. We'll see, if we can stay up to watch it...

On the lighter note...

It seems to me, that starting Kinky against Las Vegas would be more appropriate... 🤣

It really is starting to feel like a no-brainer to keep Geo as a 1A and not a 2 because Shesty just isn't durable and will need regular rest... When he's not on IR.

Gallant has to find a way to keep both of them fresh and engaged.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

It really is starting to feel like a no-brainer to keep Geo as a 1A and not a 2 because Shesty just isn't durable and will need regular rest... When he's not on IR.

Tuesday Morning Ugh GIF by Justin

53 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I don't think it's that simple when one of the guys is arguably the best goaltender on the planet, and the other is replacement level.

It is that simple when the best goalie on the planet has never played more than 39 games in a season.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

It is that simple when the best goalie on the planet has never played more than 39 games in a season.

Why cant you apply this logic to Lafreniere? Kreider, Zibanejad, Kakko are always inconsistent or hurt. Strome is inconsistent. They're missing a RW.

Lafreniere should be LW1A

Edited by josh
  • LOL 1

6 minutes ago, josh said:

Why cant you apply this logic to Lafreniere? Kreider, Zibanejad, Kakko are always inconsistent or hurt. Strome is inconsistent. They're missing a RW.

Lafreniere should be LW1A

This has nothing to do with Georgiev. None of those guy are goalies. You're comparing toothpicks to wrenches.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Shesty played 65 out of 135 games, from 2019-2020 to current seasons, a shade less than 50% of the games. Shesty had been great at the beginning of the season to carry the Rangers to a win, but Turk just need to fine the balance to play them both on the regular basis...

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

“Georgiev is out there. They are talking about him and there’s no way the Rangers are keeping him,” Kypreos said. “He comes in at $2.5M the rest of the year. He wants to be a number one goaltender and he’s not happy in New York.”

“I don’t think it would take much more than a third rounder (to get him),” Kypreos added.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-alexandar-georgiev-drawing-interest-from-the-oilers/amp/

--

Yamamoto and Koskinen for Georgiev and Kravtsov?

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hard pass on that deal. I think Geo to Edmonton makes plenty of sense, but they're gonna pay for it, and it's sure as hell going to cost more than a third-round pick to pull it off.

I'd go with Georgie to EDM, but I wouldn't give up Kravvy in that deal.  Edmonton doesn't really have anybody on an expiring contract that I like.  If anything, how about Georgie and Nemeth for a 2nd rounder in 2023?

Just now, Ozzy said:

I'd go with Georgie to EDM, but I wouldn't give up Kravvy in that deal.  Edmonton doesn't really have anybody on an expiring contract that I like.  If anything, how about Georgie and Nemeth for a 2nd rounder in 2023?

Nope. I'm not leaving the team crippled in net during a pandemic when a single positive case can crush your season. One injury or Covid-positive test for Shesterkin and you're talking about Keith Kinkaid starting in the playoffs. Hard. Pass.

Just now, Phil said:

Nope. I'm not leaving the team crippled in net during a pandemic when a single positive case can crush your season. One injury or Covid-positive test for Shesterkin and you're talking about Keith Kinkaid starting in the playoffs. Hard. Pass.

The team I'd like to see us trade with is the Canucks.  I think Halak could be had, and maybe land JT Miller in a package deal to play that 3C spot.  I love the idea of Giroux at 3C too, but just in case we can't get Giroux, JT Miller may be just what the doctor ordered.

I figure some kind of combination of either mix of Chytil, Nemeth or a pick/prospect would turn the double play and land us a hole filler and a solid veteran backup goalie with experience.  I don't think the Canucks need a Georgiev, but possibly some type of 3 way deal with Edmonton/Rangers/Vancouver, and we may just find a sweet little deal in there to make all 3 teams better.

....and now that I'm thinking about it, if we bring in JT Miller, I don't know if we can fit Stromer in under the cap.....JT still has another year left on a $5 million+ deal

Ahh Fuck it...!!!

I'm glad I don't have to figure this shit out!!!  LOL

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The team I'd like to see us trade with is the Canucks.  I think Halak could be had, and maybe land JT Miller in a package deal to play that 3C spot.  I love the idea of Giroux at 3C too, but just in case we can't get Giroux, JT Miller may be just what the doctor ordered.

I figure some kind of combination of either mix of Chytil, Nemeth or a pick/prospect would turn the double play and land us a hole filler and a solid veteran backup goalie with experience.  I don't think the Canucks need a Georgiev, but possibly some type of 3 way deal with Edmonton/Rangers/Vancouver, and we may just find a sweet little deal in there to make all 3 teams better.

Problem with the Canucks is that they’ve committed to Demko so their desperation just isn’t there.