• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It is Time to Name a Captain

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I thought about Fox but he just doesn't seem like the guy to round up the troops. He reminds me of Leetch and his quiet persona. I could be wrong though. 

I think Fox is the classic fit for captain of this team, JSM...I don't think they really need a Rah Rah guy in this locker room.  They have that with Reaves, and also with Kreider.  I'm just thinking along the lines of a more cerebral type to be a good mix of leadership.  I dunno, you're probably right, but I can totally see Fox taking the reigns on this team.

• Like 1

Honestly, watching the presser from the end of the season and hearing Kreider talk through tears specifically about Zibanejad, to me it has to be Mika. It sounds like that locker room really follows him and acknowledges that he’s their best player and their heartbeat that they rely on in all situations. If Mika wants it, it should be his.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Joe said:

You know, I didn't even think about Trouba. But i like it.

Been called the de facto captain all season. Same as Richards was the (de facto) team captain after Callahan. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jjweimar said:

Trouba C Lindgren Goodrow A

They're not going to strip Kreider, Panarin, and Zibanejad of letters. If one of the current group gets named captain, they'll either name another A, or just leave it. They have six alternates as it is.

Kreider, Zibanejad and Fox are all worthy candidates. Artemi Panarin, who said “karaoke” when asked about his offseason plans, might be a little too jokey for the C. That leaves Jacob Trouba, who sources said was about to be named captain prior to the 2021-22 season when someone above Gallant made the call to go with six A’s and no C. That call could have come from above Drury too.

But here’s what Strome said during the conference final about Trouba.

“Some of the stuff away from the rink he’s stepped up and done for our team, it’s not the easiest job to do and he’s done it,” Strome said. “He’s got a great voice that everyone listens to. We’ve got a lot of great leaders and he definitely stands out among that group. He’s been so good for us. Everyone sees the stuff on the ice, but in the room, away from the rink, he’s been really big for our group.”

Hard to imagine the C would go to anyone but Trouba if the Rangers decide this time to name one.

https://theathletic.com/3363724/2022/06/14/rangers-offseason-priorities/

• Keeps it 100 1

20 hours ago, Phil said:

They're not going to strip Kreider, Panarin, and Zibanejad of letters. If one of the current group gets named captain, they'll either name another A, or just leave it. They have six alternates as it is.

It's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Every one of them would step up and say the same tired cliche about not needing a letter on your sweater to be a leader.

• 4 weeks later...

In thinking about who the Rangers need to move for cap space,  Lindgren came to mind as he'd net a huge return.  But then it hit me that this guy is totally the perfect fit for captain. 

We've seen players take on the responsibility and their game dropped a little bit. Like the weight was too much for them.  

With Lindgren.  I don't think that happens. Infact I think it bumps him up a notch. He's already a confident player, but if you stitch that C on him, I think he becomes even better. 

The guy is indestructible and played top notch throughout the playoffs, while being decimated by how many injuries. 

I think by the end of the summer, the Rangers will name a captain. I think Lindgren best exemplifies grit and commitment to his team, more than anyone else on the roster.

I also think he can handle the responsibility and have it not be a hindrance. My vote is Lindgren and it has more to do with how he can accept that weight VS others.

Kreider maybe could.. but you know he's not scoring 50 again and when he doesn't, the captaincy will be people's go to reasoning for it. Then it will constantly be questioned and a distraction.  

Go Lindgren. 

Trouba and Mika.  Kreider, Fox, Panarin and Lindgren as A's.

Why?

The best leaders lead by example.

If Trouba wasn't showing up 100% last year the Rangers are a first round exit after maybe a 100 pt season.  He led the team in blocks and suddenly everybody was blocking shots.  He was second on the team in hits.  He was a quiet enforcer in the middle of the ice reminding the opponents to keep their heads up at all times.  His hit on Crosby is what jump started the Rangers run.  Taking out the young Carolina winger was likely what gave the Rangers a real shot in games 6 and 7 in that series.  Suddenly Brind'Amour's guys didn't have enough legs to play the frenetic forecheck that let them dominate at home when the crowd got into it.

Mika is kind of the definition of a 200 ft guy.  He does everything well and he's always working.  A few years ago he'd go on the glide now and then, particularly when the game seemed already decided.  Now you never see that happen.  When he's out there he is focused and working end to end, both the ice and his shifts.

Kreider is the vocal leader.  When there's a loud noise happening in the locker room it's likely coming from around his spot.  He's also the longest tenured Ranger and he's the spirit of the team.

Fox is quiet but like Mika he is always working and he's very good at everything he does.  You want guys looking at him and trying to figure out how to be him.  Leadership by example.

Panarin is the best player on the team.  He's always trying to make something happen and he looks for his teammates when he tries to make that happen.  The best player on the team is a natural leadership position.  There is a double edged sword here because a player with Panarin's skills can cause other players to stand around waiting for something to happen.  Making him an alternate captain gives him the ability to really talk to other players one on one, particularly the young guys he plays with, and let them know what he expects.

Lindgren gives up his body to get the job done.  He blocks out the pain and gets back on the ice when he takes a real stinger.  Again, leadership by example.

Edited by Br4d