• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It is Time to Name a Captain

I think it makes sense to allow Laf to keep developing without the added pressure. I can sort of see it with him too, but let’s just play it cool.

It’s worth remembering that, whilst he took big steps to end the regular season and has performed very well in the playoffs, he’s been aids on ice for much of his time as a pro. Patience seems like the way to go for now, and in any case he has to earn it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

I don't think you give the C to one of the kids, not when you have Kreider, Zib, Trouba, etc. all under contract for the foreseeable future. 

Laf doesn't even wear an A, what makes us think he's actually a leader or can rally his teammates? 

Good play ≠ captain material

All these vets have been with the organization for at least couple of seasons and none have been awarded the "C" to this point, and it probably means they never will.  So it will be one of the 'kids' eventually.  I'd prefer it to be Laf cause it looks like he's going to be a bitch to play against on top of being a point producer.  i want that guy to be a leader in the lockerroom

• Applause 1

54 minutes ago, CCCP said:

All these vets have been with the organization for at least couple of seasons and none have been awarded the "C" to this point, and it probably means they never will.  So it will be one of the 'kids' eventually.  I'd prefer it to be Laf cause it looks like he's going to be a bitch to play against on top of being a point producer.  i want that guy to be a leader in the lockerroom

While I agree, I don’t think Lafreniere will get it any time soon. He still seems like a bit of a follower, and tends to suck up to Kreider and Zibs. Additionally, he’s always the first one the finger points at when they talk about compete level dropping, standing around, or not doing the small things to help the team win. 

and I’m pretty sure it was laugh getting screamed at by Gallant on the bench in the third. And that wasn’t the first time we’ve seen it.

Just now, josh said:

While I agree, I don’t think Lafreniere will get it any time soon. He still seems like a bit of a follower, and tends to suck up to Kreider and Zibs. Additionally, he’s always the first one the finger points at when they talk about compete level dropping, standing around, or not doing the small things to help the team win. 

and I’m pretty sure it was laugh getting screamed at by Gallant on the bench in the third. And that wasn’t the first time we’ve seen it.

learning process.  Mess did not become Captain until age 27

• Like 1

No way imo does 13 get it any time soon. Too many guys ahead of him in line and his game while improved is nowhere near what it needs to be. Let's see if he can put a couple of really solid+ better seasons together on the ice first. Not sure what leadership qualities he's shown honestly to date.  He was getting an earful from Turk for sure but Ferraro and a friend who writes for the Trentonian down here in NJ that covers the games said today during post game interviews that Turk was ripping all the forwards telling them to stop watching the fucking game and get the fuck going. Laf got a little extra on top.

1 hour ago, josh said:

Sucks up to Kreid and Zib? He's barely out of his rookie year, and Kreid and Zib are two of the best and longest tenured members of the team. What other example is there to follow? If there's anyone who can handle the tough love approach, it's him. Remember earlier in the year when he'd be slow to backcheck and make defensive mistakes? Very little to none of that through the end of the season even until now.

• 3 weeks later...