• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It is Time to Name a Captain

3 hours ago, G1000 said:

Regardless of who was good and who was not, we all have this fantastical idea of what a captain is and what it means, almost entirely based on Mark Messier from 91-97, and that's just setting ourselves up for disappointment. It's like we think slapping a C on the jersey is like finding a magic talisman that's going to add 10 goals, reinforce their testicles with adamantium, and cause hair loss.

You don't need your captain to be a superhero. You don't need him to be the best player. You don't need him to be grabbing guys by the collar and screaming in their faces.

You need the captain to do three things better than anyone else in NYC: take the heat off everyone else, manage the team's mental state in-game, and be the guy who sets the tone for what the team needs to be doing both on and off ice. Kreider is, without a doubt, the de-facto captain, and at this point I'm honestly kind of confused as to why they haven't just given him the honor. It's entirely ceremonial for him.

Yup. Feels like the Hank years except Kreider can actually wear the letter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCCP said:

CK

I don’t care if a player is sitting in the locker room spanking it for 2 periods. If he produces goals in the 3rd then it’s still worth it.  The Kreider hate is strong in you that even when he scores in bundles, it’s not good enough. I get his history has shown that he’s due for a disappearing act but complaining about him when he’s been scoring (and very noticeable all over the ice) is a little much at this point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I don’t care if a player is sitting in the locker room spanking it for 2 periods. If he produces goals in the 3rd then it’s still worth it.  The Kreider hate is strong in you that even when he scores in bundles, it’s not good enough. I get his history has shown that he’s due for a disappearing act but complaining about him when he’s been scoring (and very noticeable all over the ice) is a little much at this point. 

shake weight GIF

14 hours ago, Kevin said:

We’re talking about captain material tho. Im not talking about Kreider the hockey player (although I think other than playing in front of the net, he’s worthless). If it wasnt for his annual disappearing act he might’ve been named captain years ago 

• 6 months later...

I don't think you give the C to one of the kids, not when you have Kreider, Zib, Trouba, etc. all under contract for the foreseeable future. 

Laf doesn't even wear an A, what makes us think he's actually a leader or can rally his teammates? 

Good play ≠ captain material

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I don't think you give the C to one of the kids, not when you have Kreider, Zib, Trouba, etc. all under contract for the foreseeable future. 

Laf doesn't even wear an A, what makes us think he's actually a leader or can rally his teammates? 

Good play ≠ captain material

It's all just guessing, but the scouting report on him said that he was "captain material" and he was captain for Rimouski.

He's still young, so I understand not giving it to him now, but I see more of a Captain in Lafreniere then say Panarin or Zibanejad.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 minute ago, Morphinity said:

Fox doesn't wear an A either. I think he's next in line for a letter. 

Neither do Lindgren, who also feels like a perfect captain from the outside.

I think Gallant just gave an A to all the experienced guys in his first season, just to make it easy and see if anyone stepped up and "took it". I do think we'll see 1C and 2A's as normal next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of them being among the young guys (Fox, Lindgren, Laf).

• Like 1

Just now, phillyb said:

Oh yeah, I just assumed we were talking offseason lol. 

Def not doing shit right now. 

Yeah, I'm with ya Philly!  This team is doing something that I haven't seen it do in a very long time:  Playing FOR one another! 

I think that's more of a mindset, and it's becoming part of the fabric of this team going forward.  This playoff berth, and playoff experience has been light years better than anything for these youngsters!  Gotta hand it to the older guys that have been here, and the new guys who brought it with them.