• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

Just now, rmc51 said:

Didn’t he even do 2RW already earlier in the year before he got hurt? And actually produced some? Yet the Rangers and Chytil still say he’s a center.

I'll take your word for it. I don't remember. All I know is they seem dead set against the idea of moving him out of the middle and it's hurting their ability to construct a proper lineup.

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Didn’t he even do 2RW already earlier in the year before he got hurt? And actually produced some? Yet the Rangers and Chytil still say he’s a center.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'll take your word for it. I don't remember. All I know is they seem dead set against the idea of moving him out of the middle and it's hurting their ability to construct a proper lineup.

Yeah

It’s almost silly at this point. They just need to drop it and play him on the wing and see what happens. Forget about center for him.

As I see it, in order to keep him at C, you currently have 4 options for 3 spots at C, all of which are better options there than he is. And he’s certainly not going to leap frog Zibanejad or Strome and supplant either of them. 

And yes, they bumped him up to RW in the top-6 earlier this year for a very brief stint and he did better. 

Park him on the W, give him some skill to play with and see what happens.

I don’t think he’s here next season honestly at this point. Part of it I believe will be to move some salary out. But I think they’ve done all they’re going to do with and regarding him and they feel like moving forward they have and will have better options than him moving forward and he won’t fit in a lesser role on a lower line. 

Jeff Marek, who has emerged as a reliable insider in recent months, said he had heard there were talks with the Bruins at the deadline for DeBrusk and that Chytil was going the other way, so I tend to agree — he's a goner. Thankfully.

33 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Chytil had a couple games on the Strome/Panarin line much earlier in the season, and I thought he was okay, but it wasn't setting the world on fire.

Sounds like Filip Chytil, then.

48 minutes ago, Phil said:

Jeff Marek, who has emerged as a reliable insider in recent months, said he had heard there were talks with the Bruins at the deadline for DeBrusk and that Chytil was going the other way, so I tend to agree — he's a goner. Thankfully.

I actually like DeBrusk quite a bit. I know he doesn’t see eye to eye with Cassidy and that’s been the biggest issue he’s had there. But he’s been a productive player there and he’s continued to handle himself well despite those issues and the trade request. He seems like he just needs a change of scenery honestly. Though the inconsistency is definitely a concern for me too.

But…. I don’t know that I like him at 4 million a year. 

This is one of GG's real short comings and it's not even borne of a roster deficiency.

I get playing LWs at RW because we lack RW depth.

I don't get displacing 2 centers who are both better than Chytil to keep Chytil at center while getting absolutely nothing from him.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Chytil played wing from Jan. 13 - Jan. 22. He went from third line to second line back to third line before getting injured Jan 22.

5 GP

1 G

1 A

+1 +/-

8 SOG

43.97 CF%

2.29 xGF

33.11 xGF%

26.67 HDCF%

He had a 4 game point streak through Jan 15 which included two games prior to Jan 13 in which he played center.

All of his advanced statistics in that stretch are worse than his season average:

47.79 > 43.97 CF%

47.00 > 33.11 xGF%

41.38 > 26.67 HDCF%

With his boxcar stats also being pretty pedestrian, I don't think you can even say Chytil has been better at wing this season. He was worse. He's an awful center. He's an equally awful to worse wing.

• TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Chytil played wing from Jan. 13 - Jan. 22. He went from third line to second line back to third line before getting injured Jan 22.

5 GP

1 G

1 A

+1 +/-

8 SOG

43.97 CF%

2.29 xGF

33.11 xGF%

26.67 HDCF%

He had a 4 game point streak through Jan 15 which included two games prior to Jan 13 in which he played center.

All of his advanced statistics in that stretch are worse than his season average:

47.79 > 43.97 CF%

47.00 > 33.11 xGF%

41.38 > 26.67 HDCF%

With his boxcar stats also being pretty pedestrian, I don't think you can even say Chytil has been better at wing this season. He was worse. He's an awful center. He's an equally awful to worse wing.

That can only mean one thing. Strome was clearly dragging him down like he's doing to Artemi this year. Fuckin Stromer.

👀

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

That can only mean one thing. Strome was clearly dragging him down like he's doing to Artemi this year. Fuckin Stromer.

👀

For what it's worth, Strome had 1 G 4 A in that 5 game span. Probably one of the better 5 game stretches he's had this season.

• Keeps it 100 1

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is one of GG's real short comings and it's not even borne of a roster deficiency.

I get playing LWs at RW because we lack RW depth.

I don't get displacing 2 centers who are both better than Chytil to keep Chytil at center while getting absolutely nothing from him.

Yup.

My feeling too.

With younger players, my feeling is this:

At first, you shelter them. Limit their minutes. Limit their exposure. Limit the pressure placed upon them, etc., depending on the player. Don’t put the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Shelter them till they figure it out. 

Kris Letang is a great example. 
Obviously he didn’t have a top prospect first round pedigree on him, but Pittsburgh handled him perfectly. And his talent was never in question. 

Even when he started to play 20+ minutes, which happened pretty quickly, they watched his matchups, limited his exposure, played him with top players, gave him circumstances to succeed in line with his skill set, and protected him. Everything was hand picked. 
And they did that shit on a contending, Cup winning team 12+ years ago. And did so over the course of 4-5 seasons.

Yes, having guys like Crosby and Malkin helped… but they didn’t have a great group on D. 

Point is, the Rangers don’t and haven’t done that. 

And they have the kind of top-end, bail you out kind of talent it takes to do that.

It isn’t just as simple as playing a kid limited minutes vs bottom guys either. You have to think on your feet and pick spots.

Confidence is huge. 

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

It always seems like there's one player the Rangers coaches absolutely love who sucks and clogs things up. lol

Or there's a bunch that they just can't develop properly and when they do, they deal them in favor of shiny new objects that they ruin.

Know who would be a decent 3rd line center option? Brett Howden. Know who would be a solid fit at RW? Pavel Buchnevich.  Know who would be a good 4th line energy LW? Brendan Lemieux.  

Between Goodrow and Copp there's no reason why Chytil should continue playing center. Mayyybe if he had elite wings.

Crap, maybe they should break up Strome and Panarin.  Try Chytil there with any one of Copp, Vatrano, Kakko or Lafreniere on the right.

This 3rd line problem shouldn't even be a problem. They don't try anything new. 

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I believe he had the amazing (lol) 4 game point streak and was unceremoniously removed from the line.  Was it due to injury? 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I believe he had the amazing (lol) 4 game point streak and was unceremoniously removed from the line.  Was it due to injury? 

He had a 2 game point streak, went to that line and had a point in 2 consecutive games, getting him to 4 in a row.

Lafreniere and Goodrow were out with COVID, Hunt out with UBI

Edited by josh

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Or there's a bunch that they just can't develop properly and when they do, they deal them in favor of shiny new objects that they ruin.

Know who would be a decent 3rd line center option? Brett Howden. Know who would be a solid fit at RW? Pavel Buchnevich.  Know who would be a good 4th line energy LW? Brendan Lemieux.  

Between Goodrow and Copp there's no reason why Chytil should continue playing center. Mayyybe if he had elite wings.

Crap, maybe they should break up Strome and Panarin.  Try Chytil there with any one of Copp, Vatrano, Kakko or Lafreniere on the right.

This 3rd line problem shouldn't even be a problem. They don't try anything new. 

Yeah, I mean I like Gallant well enough, but his personnel decisions are really mind-boggling sometimes. I think Cythil is probably gone in the offseason anyway, but I was very surprised he wasn't dealt at the deadline.

I think Chytil's size is keeping him in the 3C slot. At the TB game, he looked HUGE out there. Easily looks like the biggest guy on the Rangers, and he was constantly taking up a lot of space in the middle. That line was great, too, and were close to getting a few more goals with their forecheck and relentless play - and Chytil was 'in the middle' of most of that action.

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

As much as we complain about Chytil, and rightfully so, you can kind of see why he was a first round pick at times. There are glimpses here and there. It's just frustrating waiting for him to put it together, but at the same he's only 22 years old too.

I've been pounding this point for a while. The flashes are promising but.....they are SO FEW AND FAR BETWEEN! His avoidance of body contact drives me NUTS!!!!

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

I've been pounding this point for a while. The flashes are promising but.....they are SO FEW AND FAR BETWEEN! His avoidance of body contact drives me NUTS!!!!

Yes, like only a handful of times a month. lol I wouldn't mind his avoidance of body contact as much of he put up a lot more offense.

2 hours ago, josh said:

I think Chytil's size is keeping him in the 3C slot. At the TB game, he looked HUGE out there. Easily looks like the biggest guy on the Rangers, and he was constantly taking up a lot of space in the middle. That line was great, too, and were close to getting a few more goals with their forecheck and relentless play - and Chytil was 'in the middle' of most of that action.

He's definitely looked more engaged in the last few games.  More jump in his legs, more willing to take a bump, going to the front of the net...

If he had consistent linemates right now we might see better results. I get that he had a big chunk of the season with Lafreniere and Gauthier and they had a few decent games.  I'm saying right now, where he seems a bit more dialed in would be good to have consistent linemates.  I'd try the trio again or I'd much rather move him to a top 6 wing and leave him there. 

Copp or Goodrow should be 3rd line center. Lafreniere on their left.