• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Sign Tony DeAngelo to 1-Year/$1M Contract

Phil

I'm not the one relentlessly "politicizing" every mention of a player, doggedly going to the mat in his defense every time somone writes even the most innocuous of criticisms about him, and then using it as a sounding board to grandstand and grieve.

Like I said before, you believe whatever you want. But this isn't a political thread. If you want to continue posting in it, I'd strongly suggest you keep your arguments tied to the player and not Charlie Kirk talking points about "the left" and all your perceptions of politically-inspired hypocrisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can I post about Evander Kane and his problems and how his actions are far worse than ADA yet nobody cares to exile him?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know he’s currently out of the league and being investigated, right? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know his history is far worse than ADA and he's only now under investigation because of the gambling on games problem. People tolerated him for this long and the NHL even gave him a leadership role in promoting the new Hockey Diversity alliance. Kane has multiple sexual assault allegations and has had multiple occasions on twitter when he has used homophobic language for which hew has apologized for. He has also been involved in an actual fight with a fan that he was sued over for multiple injuries, not just a threat on twitter. LOL though

He's already exiled, but you do you. You know who isn't? ADA. But narrative gotta narrative, I guess.

He hasn't missed one game yet. We'll see if he sits like ADA did. You do you though and you narrative your narrative. For 2 weeks and 7 pages you talked politics but it's me 7 pages into the discussion that's revolved solely on politics that's making it political.

It's not narrative to point out that it took accusations of Kane throwing games to win bets that exiled him. Kane has assault accusations galore both sexual and just your run of the mill beating upon a fan. He has homophobic tweets not when he was a teen but as a NHL player. He has an actual fight with a fan that ended up with him being sued. He had a very public problem with teammates in Winnipeg. He has many controversial instagram posts with a history of horrible gambling problems. All of which cost him not one game form the NHL. All of which are documented. All of which are worse or are what people accuse of ADA as a child and the reason for his exile. ADA to my knowledge has ever assaulted anyone, no less a woman or a fan. ADA to my knowledge never made derogatory comments after his mistakes in Junior hockey.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1673494-evander-kane-tweets-insult-at-miami-heat-star-chris-bosh

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1gbn0m/evander_kane_posts_homophobic_tweet_spends/

Let me see if I fully understand this, because this is a lot to digest.

You don't want politics in sport, yet the first wave of posts making this political were from people saying how great it was that he's gone to a (65/35 D market) that won't exile him for his political views (which we know is a bullshit narrative), were roundly put back on topic, and continually derailed by others making the same claim - including you yourself bringing politics back into this. You also think Logan Couture should not have apologized for using his platform for politics. Which is it - do you want politics in sport, or not? Or is it only okay when it's your politics in sport?

You believe that freedom of speech entails freedom from the consequences of that speech, so Tony DeAngelo should have been able to say whatever he wants without having consequences. Yet you also believe that Carolina season ticket holders do not have the freedom to express their feelings around Tony DeAngelo's signing, going as far to ask of their political views - which rolls back to the first point. Which is it, or is this another case of your freedom of speech meaning more than someone elses?

You believe that you don't have enough information to pass judgment on Tony DeAngelo, but also want judgment passed on Evander Kane less than 12 hours after his ex-wife made allegations via Instagram. Which is it - does judgment get passed with information, or sentiment?

You've also taken great pains to ascribe that there is a lack of outrage over Kane to match ADA, when literally nobody here has said anything of Kane's most recent transgressions, nor made their opinions known. How do you purport to get on a soapbox and tell us how we feel about a situation we've yet to digest, yet get indignant and angry when someone does that to you?

Do I have this right?

• Like 1

You've even made up allegations (Kane has never been accused of sexual assault, let alone by multiple women, though he has a rather long history of physical altercations). How do you purport to get on a soapbox and tell us how we feel about a situation we've yet to digest, yet get indignant and angry when someone does that to you?

Do I have this right?

You apparently DON'T have this or part of this right..

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/evander-kane-makes-counterclaim-in-sexual-assault-civil-suit-190016589.html

Kane has been accused more than once. Cap didn't make that up. A quick search will give you those results.

I just don't see a point to this argument when DeAngelo himself said:

A lot of the stuff that's happened in my career has stemmed from emotions, from being competitive. There's never been any off-ice problems or anything like that. I've made some mistakes along the way, obviously, stuff that I regretted.

Unless they've started doing political debates on ice, I don't see how his politics plays in here. There are some grievances being expressed that not even the player is promoting. Never mind that it's telling how little one knows about James Dolan to think that he'd let his organization make a move expressly based on politics. Especially when those politics are ideals he shares, and that he has taken lengths not to contradict those ideals in PR statements from his organization.

We can all watch to see what happens to Evander Kane. He of the NHL Equity Council or whatever they call it. He who is of the council to tell everyone how racist the sport of hockey is as if he's someone with any moral or ethical compass to pass judgement on anything. Let's see how the Sharks, the NHL, twitter, and the media handle this guy. Should be good for a laugh

Hockey Diversity Alliance and it's an independent body formed to lobby the NHL. He wasn't appointed by the NHL.

You apparently DON'T have this or part of this right..

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/evander-kane-makes-counterclaim-in-sexual-assault-civil-suit-190016589.html

Kane has been accused more than once. Cap didn't make that up. A quick search will give you those results.

The bit I found on that incident noted an assault, not a sexual assault (was investigated as such, but ultimately ruled an assault).

Can see the gray there, though.

This is…uh…interesting

“It’s not always right but it is what it is” is not a quote I’d want to hear from anyone about anything tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone is shocked that an older Italian man who lives close to Philly uses racist terms?

Seriously?

You ever wonder how your grandparents talked? OF COURSE he used the word daily!

This is shocking how? Have people ventured out of their bubble and interacted with different age groups, nationalities and color over the last century?

People are put off by this? I mean where have you been? This isn't shocking that the generation before Tony's used racist words. What? Only the Sopranos TV show were the ones using such language? And since that's fiction it doesn't depict the actual truth that an older generation thought and talked like that?

Just because his father uses the term like a piece of shit, it doesn't mean Tony did. Tony grew up in a time where black culture was accepted by white teens. That included listening to black music, dressing like black people and even talking like black people. From what I remember, the use of the word was directed at a teammate whom he remains friends with today and is a white person...

I'm not suggesting it's not ingrained into Tony's head just by being raised by his father. That's definitely possible. But it's also possible that it totally isn't and Tony thinks differently or has adapted to cultural differences in a different time than where and when his father grew up with his mentality.

Being held to your parents, grandparents and great grandparents ethics shouldn't be a thing. The change in the generations in such a short time SHOULD be recognized. There have been major leaps in acceptance of different races in just the last 25 years.

If we are to hold Tony to the coals for his dad's ignorance. Do the same for yourselves. Because I can almost guarantee everyone's grandparents have said things in the past, that wouldn't be considered acceptable today.

I AM surprised that the video didn't surface when he was a Ranger.

We've discussed this before too. As far as I'm aware, Tony has never made any racist comments that have been scrutinized. None of his discipline has come as a result of racist comments. The noted incident in junior came as a result of a homosexual slur. You probably know what it is. That doesn't lessen that what he did was wrong. But let's not dig up the "Tony is a racist". We have nothing conclusive to support that. Racism isn't why Tony has had issues with teams. Same as his politics.

The bit I found on that incident noted an assault, not a sexual assault (was investigated as such, but ultimately ruled an assault).

Can see the gray there, though.

Well yeah, but he said he was accused. Which he was. I'm a Steelers fan. Ben Roethlisberger was "accused" twice and changes were also dropped.. I'm not blind to how this works.

Anyway if it's just assault then that's fine.. Wait...

With this being said, what exactly is DeAngelo "accused of" that makes him so toxic?

I kinda get where Cap is going with his post. Do you think Kane will be blacklisted the way DeAngelo has been? He hasn't yet.. And again, what exactly did DeAngelo do that deems him a cancer? It's certainly not stacking up to what a few players have done, without this backlash and hate. It really is hate. The comments and the attitude is not of a player people aren't a fan of. It's hate. Just because he's a douche from close to Philly? Ok.. I guess. Seems a bit much.

Let me see if I fully understand this, because this is a lot to digest.

You don't want politics in sport, yet the first wave of posts making this political were from people saying how great it was that he's gone to a (65/35 D market) that won't exile him for his political views (which we know is a bullshit narrative), were roundly put back on topic, and continually derailed by others making the same claim - including you yourself bringing politics back into this. You also think Logan Couture should not have apologized for using his platform for politics. Which is it - do you want politics in sport, or not? Or is it only okay when it's your politics in sport?

You believe that freedom of speech entails freedom from the consequences of that speech, so Tony DeAngelo should have been able to say whatever he wants without having consequences. Yet you also believe that Carolina season ticket holders do not have the freedom to express their feelings around Tony DeAngelo's signing, going as far to ask of their political views - which rolls back to the first point. Which is it, or is this another case of your freedom of speech meaning more than someone elses?

You believe that you don't have enough information to pass judgment on Tony DeAngelo, but also want judgment passed on Evander Kane less than 12 hours after his ex-wife made allegations via Instagram. Which is it - does judgment get passed with information, or sentiment?

You've also taken great pains to ascribe that there is a lack of outrage over Kane to match ADA, when literally nobody here has said anything of Kane's most recent transgressions, nor made their opinions known. How do you purport to get on a soapbox and tell us how we feel about a situation we've yet to digest, yet get indignant and angry when someone does that to you?

Do I have this right?

You have nothing right. My point is not to take issue with ADA or Kane nor discuss what I have a problem with nor to discuss Logan Culture and his tweet. My point is that players are being treated differently because of the nature of their tweets. Kane can call someone a fairy and nobody labels him for life as a homophobic or bigot. Kane can discuss politics and kneeling for anthems or support for BLM protest/riots and nobody seems to care that he tweets about politics. ADA can offer the exact opposite view towards kneeling or BLM protests and than politics is a problem in which it cannot be ignored. Kane has multiple coaches bench and complain about him publicly. Kane has been accused of multiple assaults far worse than anything ADA has ever been accused of. Kane's issues have all been as an adult. ADA mostly as a child.

I have zero problem with Canes fans freedom of protesting ADA but why are they protesting? Politics and their disgust of his. Which is the center of this whole fucking thread. Why was ADA exiled. Politics. It's the same reason the Canes are taking heat for signing him, politics. It's the same reason Pete calls him a cunt. It's the same reason why you guys can't let the guy go without shamming him and kicking him on the way out. It's the same reason why I defend him. Not because I think he's some great guy or I give a fuck about him. It's because I don't want to be fired because of my views. It's why I don't want to be banned from forums on the internet because I don't agree with you. It's all the same shit. Is that really to hard to understand? Freedom of speech is not I say I'm pro-life so now I have 100 lunatics surround my home and harass my family until I relent.

I'm not making judgement on Kane. I'm pointing out it took far less for you and the Rangers front office to pass judgement on ADA. What is the difference between Kane and ADA? Kane checks every box that you cite as the reason for ADA being so far gone to employ. Why has Kane avoided the same punishment or vitriol on twitter? All I'm asking for is consistency and fairness.

Your last paragraph I have no idea what you are talking about. This is political. I'm making the argument that ADA's politics are why he is exiled and pointing out that Kane would have been handed the same fate long ago if it wasn't about politics. I've made no statement about your or anyone elses feelings here towards Kane. My statements are about the powers that be in the NHL and the twitter mob.

You and Phil quickly attacked me about me being me or whatever that is supposed to mean. Pretty sure that's not a compliment Phil but sure It's on me to keep it civil.

This is all about two standards of punishment and reaction. What did Logan Coulture say that made an apology necessary?

We've discussed this before too. As far as I'm aware, Tony has never made any racist comments that have been scrutinized. None of his discipline has come as a result of racist comments. The noted incident in junior came as a result of a homosexual slur. You probably know what it is. That doesn't lessen that what he did was wrong. But let's not dig up the "Tony is a racist". We have nothing conclusive to support that. Racism isn't why Tony has had issues with teams. Same as his politics.

Sorry I was unaware that that was the conclusion.

Figured since he was a racist for stealing Miller's puck, and being accused of being behind the racist comments in Miller's Zoom meeting that it stemmed from there. Also the video of the dad...

So, I guess everyone could use some clarification about why hes a piece of shit and fans want him canceled. It's gotta be more than being punched by the goalie and slamming a penalty box door..

Figured since he was a racist for stealing Miller's puck, and being accused of being behind the racist comments in Miller's Zoom meeting that it stemmed from there. Also the video of the dad...

So, I guess everyone could use some clarification about why hes a piece of shit and fans want him canceled. It's gotta be more than being punched by the goalie and slamming a penalty box door..

Of course it's about slamming the door and Geo punching him. Obviously

Tony's issue is that he's insubordinate. It's not that he's racist. It's not that he's political. "Cancer" is a poor way to describe him. Think of him much in the way you would a class clown. He's well-liked by his peers, but much like a class clown, he detracts from the intended goal. In school, learning. In hockey, performance.

Avery is a fine comparison because he faced similar circumstances. The difference is that there's a decade between their careers which has seen a rise in both social media and cancel culture. Avery was effectively canceled by the league and the Rangers were the only team willing to give him a second shot. Tortorella got tired of his antics and waived him despite the fact that he still provided positive contributions to the team and was beloved by his teammates. You have to be a part of the room, not bigger than it.

Avery was a fan favorite and adored by the teams leadership and stars. That's the answer. But like I've said before, you believe whatever you want.

Sean Avery’s antics wouldn’t have been accepted in today’s NHL.

Sean Avery’s antics wouldn’t have been accepted in today’s NHL.

No disagreement. I think he'd be treated similarly as DeAngelo.

Stealing the puck from Miller was lambasted by the organization. It made the writer of that article go into a several-month hiatus and effectively torched his career. Did anyone legitimately think that he "hacked" the Zoom call?

The goalie punch and the penalty box door slamming were issues in a grander scope of insubordination. I'm pretty sure others have brought that up. Pete comes to mind.

Of course it's about slamming the door and Geo punching him. Obviously

And all of the others acts of insubordination that we don't publicly know of. Tony said that himself. You're politicizing it more than Tony is by implying that there's some deep-rooted cause. There isn't. Management and coaching would tell him to do something across multiple organizations and he would refuse to comply. You're confounding the public backlash towards Tony with the actual disciplinary action.

Exactly. We've been saying this for ever. Cumulative. Behavior. Insubordination. Coaching clashes. I know for a fact his politics weren't a problem -- his going back at fans was. John Roscano, who was with the organization through all of Tony's time, repeatedly warned him about it. He was effectively instructed not to go back at fans. He didn't listen. He tried to fight one, instead.

Well yeah, but he said he was accused. Which he was. I'm a Steelers fan. Ben Roethlisberger was "accused" twice and changes were also dropped.. I'm not blind to how this works.

Anyway if it's just assault then that's fine.. Wait...

With this being said, what exactly is DeAngelo "accused of" that makes him so toxic?

I kinda get where Cap is going with his post. Do you think Kane will be blacklisted the way DeAngelo has been? He hasn't yet.. And again, what exactly did DeAngelo do that deems him a cancer? It's certainly not stacking up to what a few players have done, without this backlash and hate. It really is hate. The comments and the attitude is not of a player people aren't a fan of. It's hate. Just because he's a douche from close to Philly? Ok.. I guess. Seems a bit much.

I mean - he right fucking should get blacklisted if he was betting on his games. Kane was widely seen as a risk acquisition when the Sharks took him on - it wasn't like he was getting off without heat. If he's done what's been accused? He should be gone, immediately.

As for DeAngelo - seems like he's getting precisely as many second chances as everyone else. I don't have the full story of why he's gone, but I have to believe that it's more than tweets. Athletes tweet dumb shit all the time and don't get chucked off their teams for it - Cole Beasley, Lebron, Djokovic - just a few examples. He did something internal - no pro team chucks talent like his to the curb over nothing.

But we're just going to keep exhuming this "but his politics" nonsense.