• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Sign Tony DeAngelo to 1-Year/$1M Contract

Phil

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. I was just saying to someone off the board, if the GM/team aren't going to tell him, expressly, no social media, if I were his agent I would. "This is very likely your last NHL contract if fuck this up like you fucked up the last one. You need to choose — do you want to be an NHL player and maximize your earnings, or do you want to be a conservative/MAGA provocateur? You can't be both. If it's hockey, get rid of Twitter, and lose the fucking podcast. Save that shit for your post-playing career."

So you’re clearly admitting that it was his political views and outspokenness that got him fired and not his on-ice play?

So you’re clearly admitting that it was his political views and outspokenness that got him fired and not his on-ice play?
That's a weird way to put it... What would Phil have to "admit"? He didn't make the decision... What would he have to admit to?

We've also been over this 100 times. It wasn't one thing...it's a collection of behaviors that just make him not worth the headache.

I was gonna list them again but it's well documented.

No, I'm clearly admitting the same thing I've said for months -- he was "fired" for being a cumulative problem. Some cross section of that, however large in your mind, isn't due to his political beliefs but the manner in which he chose to share them. Often by gleefully baiting his own teams fans into lashing out at him on Twitter and by then starting an entire podcast designed to "own the libs."

All fine behavior for any individual, but an absolute distraction for a pro sports team. And it clearly irritated the front office, who spoke to him about it, among other things, including his clashes with the coaching staff. Add to that inviting a fan to fight him outside of MSG, prodding his own teammate after a loss to the point of starting a physical fight, etc and it's pretty clear that they didn't just throw him out on his ass because he's a Trump super fan.

But you can believe whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If history is any guide, we can look forward to Rob Brindamour having to be held back from beating the shit out of Tony D probably before Thanksgiving.

Politics played no role. Dangelo is on his 5th team in a very short career despite some offensive talent. He's an uncoachable loudmouth.

Dangelo is either going to wake up and have solid NHL career. Or spend his 30s getting into fights in LBI bar parking lots.

• Like 1

If history is any guide, we can look forward to Rob Brindamour having to be held back from beating the shit out of Tony D probably before Thanksgiving.

Politics played no role. Dangelo is on his 5th team in a very short career despite some offensive talent. He's an uncoachable loudmouth.

Dangelo is either going to wake up and have solid NHL career. Or spend his 30s getting into fights in LBI bar parking lots.

Pretty much. That's why I said if I were his agent I'd be giving him strong advice to get it in gear. You either want to maximize earnings as a hockey player or you don't. If you don't, good luck in your future endeavors.

No, I'm clearly admitting the same thing I've said for months -- he was "fired" for being a cumulative problem. Some cross section of that, however large in your mind, isn't due to his political beliefs but the manner in which he chose to share them. Often by gleefully baiting his own teams fans into lashing out at him on Twitter and by then starting an entire podcast designed to "own the libs."

All fine behavior for any individual, but an absolute distraction for a pro sports team. And it clearly irritated the front office, who spoke to him about it, among other things, including his clashes with the coaching staff. Add to that inviting a fan to fight him outside of MSG, prodding his own teammate after a loss to the point of starting a physical fight, etc and it's pretty clear that they didn't just throw him out on his ass because he's a Trump super fan.

But you can believe whatever you want.

This is a great way to put it, actually.

This didn't happen strictly because of what was said on social, it happened because the front office told him to knock it off, and he didn't.

Just like Gorton told him he only had one more chance, and he just kept doing what he was doing.

It's a pattern of complete disrespect for authority. You might not like or agree with your boss, but that doesn't give you the right to be insubordinate.

This didn't happen strictly because of what was said on social, it happened because the front office told him to knock it off, and he didn't.

Just like Gorton told him he only had one more chance, and he just kept doing what he was doing.

It's a pattern of complete disrespect for authority. You might not like or agree with your boss, but that doesn't give you the right to be insubordinate.

Exactly. It's why we still see the narrative about "damaging a penalty box," from people who want to believe he's the victim here. He isn't. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Indeed. His political views don't even come into question. I really don't care what they are, he's just not a great person and has had problems going all the way back to his playing days as a youngster. This is nothing new. He's been known to be a malcontent, with fighting and homophobic and/or racial remarks. I remember the game after he got suspended and Panarin and someone else were basically mocking him punching and fighting on the way back to the locker room after a win. I'm sure there were some players who liked him, but I think that whole thing right there says quite a bit.

Exactly. It's why we still see the narrative about "damaging a penalty box," from people who want to believe he's the victim here. He isn't. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Right. He was given plenty of warnings, spoken to plenty of times, and nothing changed.

I'd like to know what else the team should have done with a player breaking team rules. Just keep letting it happen? Fines? He was getting fined almost weekly LOL (per Chiclets, Gorton would see him and say "You owe me money" an ADA would reply back "you're going to owe me more.")

The same thing is happening in Washington with Kuznetsov.

Yup, and despite the talent level, their front office has reportedly had it with him. Is it so hard to believe the same is true of a guy on his fifth team by the age of 25?

Indeed. His political views don't even come into question. I really don't care what they are, he's just not a great person and has had problems going all the way back to his playing days as a youngster. This is nothing new. He's been known to be a malcontent, with fighting and homophobic and/or racial remarks. I remember the game after he got suspended and Panarin and someone else were basically mocking him punching and fighting on the way back to the locker room after a win. I'm sure there were some players who liked him, but I think that whole thing right there says quite a bit.

If it were just political standing and being outspoken, then Tim Thomas would never have lasted as long as he did with the Bruins lol.

If it were just political standing and being outspoken, then Tim Thomas would never have lasted as long as he did with the Bruins lol.

Those were pre-trump times, it’s not even comparable. Not being a woke leftist is a big no-no in sports/entertainment these days.

• Like 1

Those were pre-trump times, it’s not even comparable. Not being a woke leftist is a big no-no in sports/entertainment these days.

Thomas made a big stink about not going to the White House and was labeled racist

Thomas made a big stink about not going to the White House and was labeled racist

Oh yeah but I don't think his job was ever at risk due to his politics. And I think the the ones making a big stink were more in the minority at the time. At the very least the league and team front offices weren't so concerned with a guy like Thomas sticking to his beliefs whereas now it might cost you.

Max Domi, Seth Jones, Brent Burns, T.J. Oshie, Erik Johnson, Ian Cole, Logan Brown, Nathan Gerbe, Brendan Lemieux, Alex Tuch, Tyler Seguin, etc. are all known Trump-supporters and/or ardent conservatives. Many are still in the league. Burns, Jones, and Oshie all signed long-term deals recently. Ian Cole just got a new deal yesterday. Hell, even Jack Eichel has posted conservative talking points/messaging to his social media profiles in recent years.

Tell me again how "not being a woke leftist is a big no-no in sports these days?"

Max Domi, Seth Jones, Brent Burns, T.J. Oshie, Erik Johnson, Ian Cole, Logan Brown, Nathan Gerbe, Brendan Lemieux, etc. are all known Trump-supporters. Many are still in the league. Burns, Jones, and Oshie all signed long-term deals recently. Ian Cole just got a new deal yesterday. Hell, even Jack Eichel has posted conservative talking points/messaging to his social media profiles in recent years.

Tell me again how "not being a woke leftist is a big no-no in sports these days?"

The term "woke leftist" now refers to "is left of the rightest right wing people". It's shifting the Overton window, and you're seeing it in all aspects of society - sport included. Tony DeAngelo is neither unique in his outspoken-ness nor unique in his stances.

The term "woke leftist" now refers to "is left of the rightest right wing people". It's shifting the Overton window, and you're seeing it in all aspects of society - sport included. Tony DeAngelo is neither unique in his outspoken-ness nor unique in his stances.

Holy gaslighting batman lol

Max Domi, Seth Jones, Brent Burns, T.J. Oshie, Erik Johnson, Ian Cole, Logan Brown, Nathan Gerbe, Brendan Lemieux, Alex Tuch, Tyler Seguin, etc. are all known Trump-supporters and/or ardent conservatives. Many are still in the league. Burns, Jones, and Oshie all signed long-term deals recently. Ian Cole just got a new deal yesterday. Hell, even Jack Eichel has posted conservative talking points/messaging to his social media profiles in recent years.

The nhl is basically a bunch of rich white guys.. i wouldnt be surprised to find out its 80% republican/conservative. This narrative is beyond dumb.

No, he's very unique in not taking direction from at least 4 NHL coaches and some more in junior that told him over and over to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY HOCKEY. It's a workplace; we don't need your opinion about EVERYTHING, stay in your lane.

No great secret some of the people who gave him those directions shared the same views. He is not a martyr. Dangelo is really a guy who like some self-absorbed people in the 20s has not come to understand it's not all about you.

And say all this as someone in hopes he gets a clue. Having his talent and not making a fortune playing hockey is going to haunt him when he gets a bit older.