• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Sign Tony DeAngelo to 1-Year/$1M Contract

Phil

No, he's very unique in not taking direction from at least 4 NHL coaches and some more in junior that told him over and over to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY HOCKEY. It's a workplace; we don't need your opinion about EVERYTHING, stay in your lane.

No great secret some of the people who gave him those directions shared the same views. He is not a martyr. Dangelo is really a guy who like some self-absorbed people in the 20s has not come to understand it's not all about you.

And say all this as someone in hopes he gets a clue. Having his talent and not making a fortune playing hockey is going to haunt him when he gets a bit older.

And to take this a step further...Post what you want on social, but don't engage on Twitter wars with fans. And when the front office tells you to stop, stop. It's a maturity issue. He doesn't know when to quit.

He's a good player, and it says a lot when teams are willing to pay you to go away.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he's very unique in not taking direction from at least 4 NHL coaches and some more in junior that told him over and over to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY HOCKEY. It's a workplace; we don't need your opinion about EVERYTHING, stay in your lane.

No great secret some of the people who gave him those directions shared the same views. He is not a martyr. Dangelo is really a guy who like some self-absorbed people in the 20s has not come to understand it's not all about you.

And say all this as someone in hopes he gets a clue. Having his talent and not making a fortune playing hockey is going to haunt him when he gets a bit older.

And to take this a step further...Post what you want on social, but don't engage on Twitter wars with fans. And when the front office tells you to stop, stop. It's a maturity issue. He doesn't know when to quit.

He's a good player, and it says a lot when teams are willing to pay you to go away.

All of this encapsulates the "DeAngelo problem" perfectly. He's not a victim, and if he is, he's a self-made victim. You don't get to shoot yourself in the foot, repeatedly, and blame others for your wounds.

No, I'm clearly admitting the same thing I've said for months -- he was "fired" for being a cumulative problem. Some cross section of that, however large in your mind, isn't due to his political beliefs but the manner in which he chose to share them. Often by gleefully baiting his own teams fans into lashing out at him on Twitter and by then starting an entire podcast designed to "own the libs."

All fine behavior for any individual, but an absolute distraction for a pro sports team. And it clearly irritated the front office, who spoke to him about it, among other things, including his clashes with the coaching staff. Add to that inviting a fan to fight him outside of MSG, prodding his own teammate after a loss to the point of starting a physical fight, etc and it's pretty clear that they didn't just throw him out on his ass because he's a Trump super fan.

But you can believe whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

you dont know what i believe. i never posted my opinion on this. i quoted you because you were saying that its not his political twitter that got him canned and now you stated that he should stay off twitter.

i really dont care for ADA either way, but it is concerning if he got canned because of his political views.

thing is that he wasnt posting his BS during working hours. Everyone is allowed to do whatever the fuck they want during their free time, including athletes.

thing is that he wasnt posting his BS during working hours. Everyone is allowed to do whatever the fuck they want during their free time, including athletes.

I think the point Bugg is trying to make is that ADA explicitly did not listen to the people signing his paychecks.

you dont know what i believe. i never posted my opinion on this. i quoted you because you were saying that its not his political twitter that got him canned and now you stated that he should stay off twitter.

i really dont care for ADA either way, but it is concerning if he got canned because of his political views.

Yes, because he literally went back at fans dozens of times in his mentions and literally challenged one to a fist fight outside of MSG ... on Twitter.

Dozens of other players are on Twitter. Dozens of other players are conservatives. Dozens of other players like and engage with conservative/Trump-supporting content. DeAngelo takes it to a new level. He literally started a podcast that he tongue-in-cheek named "Watch Your Tone" designed to "own the libs."

So, yes, if I'm his agent, I'm telling him he has two paths before him: maximizing his earning potential as a professional hockey player in the National Hockey League or — and this is a massive or — leaning into the conservative/MAGA provocateur racket and sinking the final nail in his professional playing career himself. His choice.

Also, this you?

So you’re clearly admitting that it was his political views and outspokenness that got him fired and not his on-ice play?

Now you're backpeddaling with "if he got canned because of his political views." I don't need you accusing me of prescribing you your own beliefs — which is it?

Yup. And companies who employ you often have policies about social media use, including clauses that empower them to fire you for "abusing it" — be it using it too often, using it during working hours, or using it in a manner in which the company, who's brand is linked to yours so long as you remain employed, find distasteful, or damaging to said brand.

Free speech ≠ freedom from consequences from said speech. You can say whatever the holy hell you want. If you grab a bullhorn and start ranting in public about views people find abhorrent, don't be surprised when you lose your job over it.

Not necessarily. Guys get sent home all the time. Not every issue rises to the offense of suspended without pay or contract termination because those are PA-inducing events.

Insubordination does.

No brained based on his detrimental team actions alleged in this thread

Insubordination does.

No brained based on his detrimental team actions alleged in this thread

"Insubordination" is basically a ten dollar word for "clashed with coach." Can you name me a single player who lost an active contract over it in recent years? Hell, in the cap era, period?

Again, this level of reaction would have absolutely invited a lawsuit from the PA. Contract termination must be agreed to and requires cause. The PA won't simply let players/teams kill deals for the fuck of it because it sets an awful precedent that undermines their collectively-bargained guarantees.

NHLPA might have something to say about that. contracts are guaranteed

Contracts can be terminated by mutual agreement or for a violation of the contract.

Insubordination is a basic workplace rule, like sexual harassment, hence why it’s in the CBA

It’s not a lawsuit by the PA, it would be a grievance. If you have documented facts, not much the PA can do about it.

Not many contracts are violated. The incidents we hear with guys like Lepisic and Virtanen are alleged activities away from the team.

Right, but not reporting is much easier to document than "we've warned him about being a loud mouth a few times before and gave him a verbal ultimatum on X date, therefore we want out."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any good union tells you "obey now, grieve later"

That's because not listening to a manager, or refusal to follow direct orders, is insubordination. Doesn't matter what happened prior, contract is terminated.

Nah. There was a Twitter thread last week about my company. On my own time, I came very close to jumping in to tell some guy he didn't know what he was talking about. That thread ended up in a Politico article and not in a good way. If I had been in the middle of that story, it would have been a big negative for me at work.

Like my company, public relations affects the bottom line of nearly every sports team there is. Like it or not athletes are extensions of that PR department. If they get negative media, they are hurting the PR standing of the team and suffer for it just like I would have. Which is why the overwhelming majority of athletes don't have an issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hurricanes wearing their Whalers thirds this year? Sweet jersey to get lol

was it the Whalers that had a ton of guys suspended for sexual assault? Or were they the team that brawled with cops in a bar? Late 80s or early 90s. Maybe it was the Caps.

That's actually not accurate. My company has a code of ethics training that I have to take and sign that says I represent the company at all times, even when I'm not working, and I am responsible for my own social media handles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cablevision has one.

Right. I was just saying to someone off the board, if the GM/team aren't going to tell him, expressly, no social media, if I were his agent I would. "This is very likely your last NHL contract if fuck this up like you fucked up the last one. You need to choose — do you want to be an NHL player and maximize your earnings, or do you want to be a conservative/MAGA provocateur? You can't be both. If it's hockey, get rid of Twitter, and lose the fucking podcast. Save that shit for your post-playing career."

Not for nothing, but the podcast was all about sports. It stunk.

Nah. There was a Twitter thread last week about my company. On my own time, I came very close to jumping in to tell some guy he didn't know what he was talking about. That thread ended up in a Politico article and not in a good way. If I had been in the middle of that story, it would have been a big negative for me at work.

Like my company, public relations affects the bottom line of nearly every sports team there is. Like it or not athletes are extensions of that PR department. If they get negative media, they are hurting the PR standing of the team and suffer for it just like I would have. Which is why the overwhelming majority of athletes don't have an issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Good call.

Also why this is my only social media.