• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Sign Tony DeAngelo to 1-Year/$1M Contract

Phil

Further, you've got the word of the President of the team that it had nothing to do with his politics and social media, so what you're doing is perverting the narrative to make a point that isn't supported by evidence because you want to make him out to be the victim. That's literally being on a soapbox.0

This just after you said

Because no other Rangers made headlines for being a moron off the ice. Full stop

Which is it?

Being a moron off ice would be what exactly?

You can't stand on the fence and say both things. Was it on ice? Was it off ice? Was it a homophobe comment that puts him.the Ray Rice assault category? Or is it his on ice play that cost the team games (Nevermind the #1 center having 1 point in the first 20 games or what ever)...

You're kinda all over the place with what your actual take is. I'm sorry if Ive misconstrued your take, but in one sentence you say it's all about his on ice play, but then say he was being a moron off the ice. But off the ice the problem was his political takes. Which it seems you are calling him a moron for. Unless you consider telling the back up goalie he sucked and getting punched for it as being a moron..

If there's off ice stuff that you have proof of, that's one thing. You could even tell me that you have a source, but you can't share what you know and I might buy that.. But your not. You're picking a safe stance to just shit on a guy, where you aren't really sharing what it is that makes him a moron, off the ice.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm being 100% genuine.

If cancel culture were the issue, he wouldn't have been signed by the Canes and pursued by other teams. Cancel culture is the angry mob of people on social media calling for him not to have been signed and threatening the cancellation of season ticket subscriptions. Teams don't operate based upon what a loud minority is expressing on social media. Cancel culture might be seeking to stop him, but it hasn't. And let's be abundantly clear, the Rangers never caved nor cared about that cancel culture.

What fans want doesn't equate to what teams want. What fans think doesn't equate to what teams think. You and others are confounding those points.

He struggled to find a taker because teams didn't want to pay $4.5M for a player they could also soon be thrown away. Why should a team take that full contract off of waivers? He's on a deal with the Canes that lasts one year and is capable of being buried. Teams didn't want to take a flier on him because they were worried that they'd be plagued by the issues that followed him through Tampa, Arizona, and then New York. Teams are interested in the talent. They're skeptical of the personality.

It completely adds up. Do the right math.

I disagree that the Rangers didn't cave. That's where our math is different. He shut down his Twitter. Do you honestly think that loud mouth would do that on his own. Of course the Rangers aren't going publicly state that they told a player to stop talking. The Rangers made it out like there was a handful of things that happened. Obviously not sharing everything, but it's plain as day that his social media presence was a factor in his discipline.

The point I'm failing to get across is that for some reason there is a cancel culture out there against DeAngelo. Not entirely that they continue to win against him . Some say there is no such thing as cancel culture. I appreciate you addressing that there is one.

We disagree on how impactful they can be. Without any clear reasons given for his departure from NY, I myself will continue to think cancel culture was heavily influenced on DeAngelos departure from the Rangers. Especially after they had no problem giving him that contract.

So, with that, me and you will just have to agree to disagree.

I disagree that the Rangers didn't cave. That's where our math is different. He shut down his Twitter. Do you honestly think that loud mouth would do that on his own. Of course the Rangers aren't going publicly state that they told a player to stop talking. The Rangers made it out like there was a handful of things that happened. Obviously not sharing everything, but it's plain as day that his social media presence was a factor in his discipline.

The point I'm failing to get across is that for some reason there is a cancel culture out there against DeAngelo. Not entirely that they continue to win against him . Some say there is no such thing as cancel culture. I appreciate you addressing that there is one.

We disagree on how impactful they can be. Without any clear reasons given for his departure from NY, I myself will continue to think cancel culture was heavily influenced on DeAngelos departure from the Rangers. Especially after they had no problem giving him that contract.

So, with that, me and you will just have to agree to disagree.

He deleted his Twitter when Trump was removed from Twitter not because of the Rangers. He said so himself via his Instagram post which coincided with his subsequent joining of Parler. The Rangers never kicked him off of Twitter. They shutdown his podcast, which as you’ve already pointed out, wasn’t politically aligned in the slightest. I also listened to episodes, they sucked for reasons that are completely apolitical. The Rangers likely felt that a player who was prone to distractions didn’t need a podcast running during the season. It’s not uncommon for teams to bar players from such interactions. Tortorella was notorious for not allowing his players to have paid signings mid-season because he didn’t want distractions. Lamoriello is incredibly protective over how his players fraternize with the public. I don’t see the correlation between the Rangers having an issue with his politics and Tony shutting down either his Twitter or podcast. What they did take issue with, specifically John Rosasco, was how Tony conducted himself with fans who disagreed with his political views. It’s not that his views were the issue. It’s that he couldn’t help fighting those who targeted him because of them. The Rangers can’t tell people to stop attacking their player on social media, they have no control there. They can, however, tell Tony to stop engaging with those fans. Which they did on numerous occasions.

Last owner. Last GM. Different owner. Different GM. Different culture.

Because no other Rangers made headlines for being a moron off the ice. Full stop. ADA cost us games this year. He objectively hurt our locker room with his behavior on and off the ice. I don't understand why it's everyone else's fault but his here. He made his bed. He got his warnings. He got his rope and hung himself with it, but it's not his fault. Yeah, I get angry when a team I root for is materially hurt by one of their own players.

Yep. And that's a problem for the NHL to deal with. But we could be talking about Sean Burke or Patrick Kane or Dany Heatley or Craig MacTavish or Slava Voynov (the one time they got it fucking right) or Ryan O'Reilly. It's a long and sustained pattern that the NHL does not fucking care about anything but their skill on the ice. Why should this surprise you?

Your opinion isn't being belittled by your whining from a soapbox. Your opinion isn't supported by facts - it's all assumptions because you have literally the same understanding of the NYR internal issues that ADA had that I do - none. Further, you've got the word of the President of the team that it had nothing to do with his politics and social media, so what you're doing is perverting the narrative to make a point that isn't supported by evidence because you want to make him out to be the victim. That's literally being on a soapbox.0

I shall, because I'm just calling it what it is in the most literal sense, and not trying to spin it into a culture war narrative.

Who said he doesn't have fault. Well Geo was a moron off the ice for one. Other than that incident what did ADA off the ice as a Ranger? Again all of it was political. You say that in no way was any of this political it's as absurd as saying he's completely lacking at fault.

It doesn't surprise me at all with the other guys. The one difference here was that ADA was a unrepentant Trump supporter that shit on BLM rallies, called it the China virus, questioned the election, etc. No matter if you agree or disagree with those views they are political views and they got him in trouble. I don't want to argue the validity of any of it. It doesn't matter.

Nobody ever knows the inner working of the team. We are all speculating. The Rangers would never tell us they exiled him for political discussion because they would be sued at worst and at least they would alienate a part of their fanbase. So stop with that. The evidence is circumstantial. He was signed to a multi year contract for big money. 4 games later all these antics you claim was to much for this team to bare so they exiled him, not even traded him. No team in the league would touch him. Yet they take on problem player after problem player. ADA's reputation stems back to junior. He repeat those offenses, he slammed a door and got into an altercation with a teammate. Which happens all the time.

Coulture the most literal sense spoke his thoughts and feelings. He wasn't being combative, he was speaking sincerely from his experience. His mistake, saying he supported the GOP because his dad was a cop. How that offends anyone is ridiculous. You support the Democrat party. Why would anyone be offended to why you support who you do? It's a personal choice. It's the very essence of Freedom of Speech. Yet he had to apologize to satisfy the mob. In a literal sense that is horrifying.

This just after you said

Which is it?

Being a moron off ice would be what exactly?

You can't stand on the fence and say both things. Was it on ice? Was it off ice? Was it a homophobe comment that puts him.the Ray Rice assault category? Or is it his on ice play that cost the team games (Nevermind the #1 center having 1 point in the first 20 games or what ever)...

You're kinda all over the place with what your actual take is. I'm sorry if Ive misconstrued your take, but in one sentence you say it's all about his on ice play, but then say he was being a moron off the ice. But off the ice the problem was his political takes. Which it seems you are calling him a moron for. Unless you consider telling the back up goalie he sucked and getting punched for it as being a moron..

If there's off ice stuff that you have proof of, that's one thing. You could even tell me that you have a source, but you can't share what you know and I might buy that.. But your not. You're picking a safe stance to just shit on a guy, where you aren't really sharing what it is that makes him a moron, off the ice.

You're misunderstanding my take because you've set up "on ice" and "off ice" as an either-or proposition forgetting that it can be "both" (and yeah, he was awful in those first six games, and yes, he wasn't alone in being poor in the early part of the season), and you're forgetting how much off-ice there is - team meetings, management, team functions, practices, etc. - Off ice is where social media exists, but not the reason why he was cut loose. It's pretty clear from JDs statement that there were other issues at play. I don't know what they were - I know as much as you do about that.

You're also putting his actions on equal footing with abusers. I'm simply giving examples of players that seem to get multiple second chances in spite of their histories. If I gave that impression - not my intent, but the pro sports do have a very long history of "I don't care, he can play the game" situations.

Who said he doesn't have fault. Well Geo was a moron off the ice for one. Other than that incident what did ADA off the ice as a Ranger? Again all of it was political. You say that in no way was any of this political it's as absurd as saying he's completely lacking at fault.

It doesn't surprise me at all with the other guys. The one difference here was that ADA was a unrepentant Trump supporter that shit on BLM rallies, called it the China virus, questioned the election, etc. No matter if you agree or disagree with those views they are political views and they got him in trouble. I don't want to argue the validity of any of it. It doesn't matter.

Nobody ever knows the inner working of the team. We are all speculating. The Rangers would never tell us they exiled him for political discussion because they would be sued at worst and at least they would alienate a part of their fanbase. So stop with that. The evidence is circumstantial. He was signed to a multi year contract for big money. 4 games later all these antics you claim was to much for this team to bare so they exiled him, not even traded him. No team in the league would touch him. Yet they take on problem player after problem player. ADA's reputation stems back to junior. He repeat those offenses, he slammed a door and got into an altercation with a teammate. Which happens all the time.

Coulture the most literal sense spoke his thoughts and feelings. He wasn't being combative, he was speaking sincerely from his experience. His mistake, saying he supported the GOP because his dad was a cop. How that offends anyone is ridiculous. You support the Democrat party. Why would anyone be offended to why you support who you do? It's a personal choice. It's the very essence of Freedom of Speech. Yet he had to apologize to satisfy the mob. In a literal sense that is horrifying.

Bold isn't illegal. Seriously. Look it up. You can be fired for your political affiliation and have zero recourse. It's not a protected status.

Fact is, you're speculating that this is all politics with the only piece of evidence "for" being circumstantial assumption and the piece of evidence "against" being the literal quoted word of the team president. Fact is, Couture didn't need to apologize for anything, wasn't forced to, and made a personal choice to apologize for making the incident public - not for what he said. Fact is, if it makes your more comfortable to sleep at night thinking whatever it is that makes you feel like your views are reinforced without evidence, be my guest. Freedom means freedom to believe what you want to believe, regardless of how wrong.

Bold isn't illegal. Seriously. Look it up. You can be fired for your political affiliation and have zero recourse. It's not a protected status.

Fact is, you're speculating that this is all politics with the only piece of evidence "for" being circumstantial assumption and the piece of evidence "against" being the literal quoted word of the team president. Fact is, Couture didn't need to apologize for anything, wasn't forced to, and made a personal choice to apologize for making the incident public - not for what he said. Fact is, if it makes your more comfortable to sleep at night thinking whatever it is that makes you feel like your views are reinforced without evidence, be my guest. Freedom means freedom to believe what you want to believe, regardless of how wrong.

You keep saying that I'm saying it's all politics and I keep telling you I'm not saying that. Are you just trolling me at this point or can you not read. How am I supposed to discuss with you when you keep distorting my views.

Fact is you have zero idea what Coulture was forced to do or not do. And freedom means being able to do so without losing your job. The Rangers are within their right to fire him for being a right wing idiot, I have no idea what the CBA says about it. Which is why at worst they get sued bye the players association. The Rangers would never admit to the political angle because it alienates a large group of their customers.

Again the sleep at night shit because I'm wrong crap is just that. Why do you put that shit in your posts? Should I not be able to sleep at night? I'm some horrible person according to you because my opinion differs from yours? Should I like Pete says not be allowed my 2 cents because you disagree with me. You guys are really something.

Fact is you have zero idea what Coulture was forced to do or not do. And freedom means being able to do so without losing your job. The Rangers are within their right to fire him for being a right wing idiot, I have no idea what the CBA says about it. Which is why at worst they get sued bye the players association. The Rangers would never admit to the political angle because it alienates a large group of their customers. [/Quote]

Sure I do. It's called evidence. Couture's tweets exist. He apologized not for his opinion, but for making the incident public. The Sharks didn't force his hand, though I'm sure they offered help.

Again the sleep at night shit because I'm wrong crap is just that. Why do you put that shit in your posts? Should I not be able to sleep at night? I'm some horrible person according to you because my opinion differs from yours? Should I like Pete says not be allowed my 2 cents because you disagree with me. You guys are really something.

Nailed it. I'm going to go do something productive instead of pretending to myself that doing the work arguing with you about any of this is worth my time when to you, an opinion without factual basis is just as good as a fact.

Sure I do. It's called evidence. Couture's tweets exist. He apologized not for his opinion, but for making the incident public. The Sharks didn't force his hand, though I'm sure they offered help.

Nailed it. I'm going to go do something productive instead of pretending to myself that doing the work arguing with you about any of this is worth my time when to you, an opinion without factual basis is just as good as a fact.

This whole argument is based on me and others not buying the Rangers excuse for exiling him. So from here on out you can have no opinion about anything. We as fans will never have all the facts only the one's the team cares to share with us. What a joke.

Care to discuss the Buch trade? You can't discuss the market for him because all wee know is the circumstantial evidence to what that market was. So without hard facts we have no idea if Drury got enough for him. How about what the Eichel trade package should be? Nope we don't know all the facts so we can't discuss. Might as well shut down the site, G has spoken.

The Ranger 4 games after signing a player to $9.6M contract decide that he's a piece of shit and decide after all they were wrong and shouldn't have signed him at all. The market for said player is roughly $5M a year but after 4 games he is unemployable. How did smart hockey people get it so wrong, yet realize it so quick after one slammed door?

Anyone change their opinion yet. Lol

But in all seriousness, I just wanted to add that I think it’s kind of tough to compare things that happen to other players especially in different times. Avery from 2007 would likely never survive in 2021 with some of his antics on and off ice. Hell, he ended up not lasting himself, spent time in the AHL when he was already a successful NHLer and was cut by Dallas the same year he signed a contract. Plenty of other players have other legal troubles that go well above what ADA did but that’s not really a perfect comparison.

It’s also an ever evolving world in both good and bad ways. Things tweeted in the past brushed under the rug (ahem, Tyler Seguin) now land guys in far deeper trouble today. ADA dove into the cesspool willingly. Not just that, but he repeatedly did so to the point where it got all the attention by internet baiters that were salivating at the opportunity to engage with him and he willingly went along. I think part of the frustration some might have, and I can understand that, is the vilification of him rather than just calling him an idiot and moving on. Some act as if he’s punted puppies and eats babies. That’s 2021 for ya though I guess.

The second part of that is that if you are going to be that guy outspoken to that point where you actually challenge trolls by trolling yourself, you better be tip top of your game everywhere else on the ice and in the locker room. I think Gorton and Quinn did a horrid job with ADA in 2021 specifically but ADA tightened his own noose by being childish and sulking and or causing problems behind closed doors daring management to do what they inevitably did. When I say Gorton and Quinn did a horrible job I mean specifically

1. Gorton signing him and then days into the season gives an ultimatum of “if I hear your name one more time” to a guy with a troubled past damn well knowing it’s unrealistic. He should have just sent him home for two weeks instead of that ultimatum backing himself into a corner.

2. Quinn singling ADA out on opening night when the entire team didn’t show up to play when they both had a tumultuous relationship at best and Quinn in my mind was in well over his head for a lot of things not even ADA related.

Ultimately, it’s still on ADA. His bosses are his bosses. Sometimes even if you personally feel they are incompetent, you must respect that they your bosses and you are not above that. Ever. He never learned that and just the idea that he doesn’t respect those giving him chances with his own personal issues is unforgivable. ADA let down himself, his teammates, and most importantly his fans. I do not agree with the vilification of him as if he’s the worlds worst human to the point of not being a fan of the team if they employ the man but I personally think he owes a lot of people an apology. First and foremost are every fan and teammates of his while wearing a Rangers sweater. I was a fan. He let me down. He had a job for a team most of would give years off of our lives to have. That’s sacred. He should have remembered that every minute he went to work. The fact I supported him and he let me down disappoints me to no end. He owes me an apology. He owes all of us an apology. I wish him well, but I hope he’s a -5 every game against us now. LGR.

• Like 3

He deleted his Twitter when Trump was removed from Twitter not because of the Rangers. He said so himself via his Instagram post which coincided with his subsequent joining of Parler. The Rangers never kicked him off of Twitter. They shutdown his podcast, which as you’ve already pointed out, wasn’t politically aligned in the slightest. I also listened to episodes, they sucked for reasons that are completely apolitical. The Rangers likely felt that a player who was prone to distractions didn’t need a podcast running during the season. It’s not uncommon for teams to bar players from such interactions. Tortorella was notorious for not allowing his players to have paid signings mid-season because he didn’t want distractions. Lamoriello is incredibly protective over how his players fraternize with the public. I don’t see the correlation between the Rangers having an issue with his politics and Tony shutting down either his Twitter or podcast. What they did take issue with, specifically John Rosasco, was how Tony conducted himself with fans who disagreed with his political views. It’s not that his views were the issue. It’s that he couldn’t help fighting those who targeted him because of them. The Rangers can’t tell people to stop attacking their player on social media, they have no control there. They can, however, tell Tony to stop engaging with those fans. Which they did on numerous occasions.

I was unaware the Rangers shut down his podcast. It seemed stop when he was waived. He did take a break when camp started. But I believe it started up again but haulted when he was benched and then waived. ...edit. his last podcast was titled training camp and was put out on January 7. Day after the.. "Insurrection". ... No connection there???

I don't recall him leaving Twitter in protest of Trump, but it sounds like something he would do. The way I remember it was, that he did what most conservatives did and decided to jump to Parler, which was shut down immediately due to nobody wanting it on their servers or their app stores....Which brought him back to Twitter then disappeared... It was all around the time he was waived. So, I put 2 and 2 together. I could be wrong.. But with Parler being a failure as an awful platform (not for its content but for its interface), you'd think he would resurface somewhere. He hasn't. Which is probably saving his career. The less he talks, the less people talk about him. Whether the actual problem was his "interaction " with some fans, or his unapologetic take on politics, IMO is debatable. Because they are kind of one in the same. He can talk his politics yet he can't have arguments about them? I guess???? Maybe he should just shut up? But isn't that silencing him? It's probably for his own good, but that's because of cancel culture no? It a much more slippery slope than some make it out to be.

Anyone change their opinion yet. Lol

But in all seriousness, I just wanted to add that I think it’s kind of tough to compare things that happen to other players especially in different times. Avery from 2007 would likely never survive in 2021 with some of his antics on and off ice. Hell, he ended up not lasting himself, spent time in the AHL when he was already a successful NHLer and was cut by Dallas the same year he signed a contract. Plenty of other players have other legal troubles that go well above what ADA did but that’s not really a perfect comparison.

It’s also an ever evolving world in both good and bad ways. Things tweeted in the past brushed under the rug (ahem, Tyler Seguin) now land guys in far deeper trouble today. ADA dove into the cesspool willingly. Not just that, but he repeatedly did so to the point where it got all the attention by internet baiters that were salivating at the opportunity to engage with him and he willingly went along. I think part of the frustration some might have, and I can understand that, is the vilification of him rather than just calling him an idiot and moving on. Some act as if he’s punted puppies and eats babies. That’s 2021 for ya though I guess.

The second part of that is that if you are going to be that guy outspoken to that point where you actually challenge trolls by trolling yourself, you better be tip top of your game everywhere else on the ice and in the locker room. I think Gorton and Quinn did a horrid job with ADA in 2021 specifically but ADA tightened his own noose by being childish and sulking and or causing problems behind closed doors daring management to do what they inevitably did. When I say Gorton and Quinn did a horrible job I mean specifically

1. Gorton signing him and then days into the season gives an ultimatum of “if I hear your name one more time” to a guy with a troubled past damn well knowing it’s unrealistic. He should have just sent him home for two weeks instead of that ultimatum backing himself into a corner.

2. Quinn singling ADA out on opening night when the entire team didn’t show up to play when they both had a tumultuous relationship at best and Quinn in my mind was in well over his head for a lot of things not even ADA related.

Ultimately, it’s still on ADA. His bosses are his bosses. Sometimes even if you personally feel they are incompetent, you must respect that they your bosses and you are not above that. Ever. He never learned that and just the idea that he doesn’t respect those giving him chances with his own personal issues is unforgivable. ADA let down himself, his teammates, and most importantly his fans. I do not agree with the vilification of him as if he’s the worlds worst human to the point of not being a fan of the team if they employ the man but I personally think he owes a lot of people an apology. First and foremost are every fan and teammates of his while wearing a Rangers sweater. I was a fan. He let me down. He had a job for a team most of would give years off of our lives to have. That’s sacred. He should have remembered that every minute he went to work. The fact I supported him and he let me down disappoints me to no end. He owes me an apology. He owes all of us an apology. I wish him well, but I hope he’s a -5 every game against us now. LGR.

Well said

You're misunderstanding my take because you've set up "on ice" and "off ice" as an either-or proposition forgetting that it can be "both" (and yeah, he was awful in those first six games, and yes, he wasn't alone in being poor in the early part of the season), and you're forgetting how much off-ice there is - team meetings, management, team functions, practices, etc. - Off ice is where social media exists, but not the reason why he was cut loose. It's pretty clear from JDs statement that there were other issues at play. I don't know what they were - I know as much as you do about that.

You're also putting his actions on equal footing with abusers. I'm simply giving examples of players that seem to get multiple second chances in spite of their histories. If I gave that impression - not my intent, but the pro sports do have a very long history of "I don't care, he can play the game" situations.

Well that's just it. The on ice reasons shouldn't have gotten the guy waived. It shouldn't enter the equation 4 games into a season where there was little camp and the entire team failed to show up.. So it shouldn't BE both. Sulking and slamming penalty box doors IMO doesn't factor in at all.

These "other issues " is where things are extremely cloudy and can't be used by any of us, because there is zero record besides his known Twitter "issues". There's no way in hell JD would blatantly say his social media was an issue. Just not going to happen man. JD will always say the right thing publicly. Thats just who he is and why he continues to work in this business.

The day these other issues are known, we can go off of that. What if other issues is- he dumped Quinns daughter, or he was banging a trainers daughter... Why must it be something like it's a disciplinary thing where he crossed so many lines yet nobody has spoken about them? In a time where you know when a player takes a shit, such things would most definitely be known. I don't know. I find it strange that these off ice issues were never reported by ANYONE. Yet in a time when there was no social media we knew Shanahan and Avery were partying all over NYC and Avery was challenging people to fights in bars and on the street. Or how BrianLeetchwas drunk as shit andbroke his ankle getting off a bus? Mike Keenan notoriouslyshittingon players he didn'tlike?

Then with the way things are now, we know Panarin refused to play with Kakko his troubles with Putin.. Gauthier complaining to the coach about lack of playing time, Trouba stepping up in the locker room and so on.. Yet, this is top secret?

Smoke... Fire.... You know..

I do recall Mike37 having connections to the organization and him suggesting he would share some information once the situation was over and DeAngelo was gone. It'd be pretty cool to see if he has anything on this.

Nevertheless maybe we here discussing this can agree that we don't have enough facts to shit on one another for their opinion on how this shook out and continues to shake out?

Well that's just it. The on ice reasons shouldn't have gotten the guy waived. It shouldn't enter the equation 4 games into a season where there was little camp and the entire team failed to show up.. So it shouldn't BE both. Sulking and slamming penalty box doors IMO doesn't factor in at all.

These "other issues " is where things are extremely cloudy and can't be used by any of us, because there is zero record besides his known Twitter "issues". There's no way in hell JD would blatantly say his social media was an issue. Just not going to happen man. JD will always say the right thing publicly. Thats just who he is and why he continues to work in this business.

The day these other issues are known, we can go off of that. What if other issues is- he dumped Quinns daughter, or he was banging a trainers daughter... Why must it be something like it's a disciplinary thing where he crossed so many lines yet nobody has spoken about them? In a time where you know when a player takes a shit, such things would most definitely be known. I don't know. I find it strange that these off ice issues were never reported by ANYONE. Yet in a time when there was no social media we knew Shanahan and Avery were partying all over NYC and Avery was challenging people to fights in bars and on the street. Or how BrianLeetchwas drunk as shit andbroke his ankle getting off a bus? Mike Keenan notoriouslyshittingon players he didn'tlike?

Then with the way things are now, we know Panarin refused to play with Kakko his troubles with Putin.. Gauthier complaining to the coach about lack of playing time, Trouba stepping up in the locker room and so on.. Yet, this is top secret?

Smoke... Fire.... You know..

I do recall Mike37 having connections to the organization and him suggesting he would share some information once the situation was over and DeAngelo was gone. It'd be pretty cool to see if he has anything on this.

Nevertheless maybe we here discussing this can agree that we don't have enough facts to shit on one another for their opinion on how this shook out and continues to shake out?

I think that's about right. We don't know enough for sure to make a call either way. We do have it on record from JD, but I tend to agree that JD wouldn't just be like "yeah, he did x y z" - no boss would, let alone a hockey guy, let alone a guy who at least stands to benefit from any return on the player in question. We're probably never going to know the full extent of what it was.

A good deal of the old stuff was provbably urban legend too - we just didn't have the convenience of having it all at our fingertips all the time.

So I would expect Evander Kane to be exiled to the KHL for his abhorrent behavior to his wife and kids no less his the accusation of throwing games to win bets. However we all know that will not be the case because what's said on twitter is obviously much worse than what Kane did. Speaking of another Kane, sexual assault also takes a back seat to twitter. We can do this all day.

Professional sports has plenty of villains who do not get banned from playing. Say whatever you want nobody is ever going to convince me that ADA's actions reached the level of no return 2 periods or 4 games into the season after he just resigned to a massive contract. These front offices don't hard out contracts like that without a full analysis of the player. Look at Buch who was just traded because they didn't want to pay him close to what they gave ADA per year. The front office was good with the player that summer. People want us to believe 2 periods into the season ADA slammed a door and that was it, everything changed? Oh no the backup goalie punched ADA in the face not the other way around, that was it? What changed in those two months? What was happening around the country at fever pitch during those two months? What was painted on NBA courts? What was happening with the NFL, MLB, and NHL? Seattle, Portland? The politicalization of the sports industry was at it's peak. The Rangers were concerned about negative coverage and the "mostly peaceful" protests burning through their own city. They did not want or need a player speaking out against all those things happening around the city, leagues, etc. That is why he was exiled. Full stop.

You said that athletes, like anyone else, can say whatever they want in their own time - the implication being that is without consequences at your job. That's simply not true. Full stop.

I think that's about right. We don't know enough for sure to make a call either way. We do have it on record from JD, but I tend to agree that JD wouldn't just be like "yeah, he did x y z" - no boss would, let alone a hockey guy, let alone a guy who at least stands to benefit from any return on the player in question. We're probably never going to know the full extent of what it was.

A good deal of the old stuff was provbably urban legend too - we just didn't have the convenience of having it all at our fingertips all the time.

I go back to the Mercogliano podcast at the time, where he said his sources inside the team told him that an accumulation of behavioral incidents made it untenable for management to keep ADA on the Rangers. There was no malice or political judgement in what he said. You're right, we'll never know the details. But the idea that he was persecuted for his political beliefs doesn't square with almost anything that was written by the beat guys.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I go back to the Mercogliano podcast at the time, where he said his sources inside the team told him that an accumulation of behavioral incidents made it untenable for management to keep ADA on the Rangers. There was no malice or political judgement in what he said. You're right, we'll never know the details. But the idea that he was persecuted for his political beliefs doesn't square with almost anything that was written by the beat guys.

Is behavioral not listening to them say "stop using Twitter because there's a strong group of people who don't like what you talk about"? What's behavioral? Disagreeing with the coach? Continually staying out late? Missing practice? Behavioral can cover a broad spectrum. Including not listening about his mouth on social media.. Any of the above would have been stories when they happened. Except...

You said that athletes, like anyone else, can say whatever they want in their own time - the implication being that is without consequences at your job. That's simply not true. Full stop.

Yeah it used to be that way. Until BLM came along. Now every league has aligned themselves with BLM, NFL/NBA, or at very least is afraid to say that politics and the sports brand should not be mixed. For some reason the leagues have allowed some politics to enter their world. The point is if ADA was taking to twitter to support BLM riots/protests or to bash Trump as a traitor, or to say defund the police nobody would give a rats ass. FULL STOP

Yeah it used to be that way. Until BLM came along. Now every league has aligned themselves with BLM, NFL/NBA, or at very least is afraid to say that politics and the sports brand should not be mixed. For some reason the leagues have allowed some politics to enter their world. The point is if ADA was taking to twitter to support BLM riots/protests or to bash Trump as a traitor, or to say defund the police nobody would give a rats ass. FULL STOP
I think that all speaks for itself and FULL STOP is probably my best move at this point.

• Like 2