• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Yankees Thread

Blue Heaven

Truth is being spoken from Michael and Don. And Michael is right, this was a symbol of the season; all aspects of the team (lineup, offense) were not good enough to win games when they matter. The Yankees can't bring in runners in scoring position. Also, Phil Nevin needs to go, alongside BaBoone.  

• Applause 2

Yeah, the entire coaching staff needs to go. I really don't think Boone is going to get fired, though.  Thames and Nevin, perhaps, but not him. Despite what we may think the players actually like him, which I guess isn't great, either. lol But, I still believe he and especially Cashman are safe, and they'll eliminate some other coaching positions. I new hitting coach with a new voice is absolutely needed. We saw what a difference having a guy like Matt Blake did for the team pitching, now we need a Matt Blake that can help with the hitting. Even if they did manage to beat Boston, I don't think anyone really saw them beating Tampa Bay anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, the entire coaching staff needs to go. I really don't think Boone is going to get fired, though.  Thames and Nevin, perhaps, but not him. Despite what we may think the players actually like him, which I guess isn't great, either. lol But, I still believe he and especially Cashman are safe, and they'll eliminate some other coaching positions. I new hitting coach with a new voice is absolutely needed. We saw what a difference having a guy like Matt Blake did for the team pitching, now we need a Matt Blake that can help with the hitting. Even if they did manage to beat Boston, I don't think anyone really saw them beating Tampa Bay anyway.

Yup...exactly, man!

No need to really go any further either.  I saw Kay's show yesterday and I agree.  They'll make a few adjustments and changes with the staff and be back though. 

Hopefully DJ can come back with a good year because this past season was terrible. Gleyber showed some signs of being 'back' once getting moved back to second base. Keep him there. I also forgot to mention giving Cashman some credit for hiring the new lead trainer, Eric Cressey as the Yankees were able to get relatively full and healthy seasons from Judge and Stanton. Keep Stanton in the field, also. Do they bring Rizzo back to play first? His prime years are over as far as offense goes, but he's still productive and plays a great first base. Voit is better offensively, but is a statue at first and just can't stay on the field.

• Cheers 1

It's great to hear Michael go no holds barred with this entire organization. He is absolutely right. I wanted Sanchez gone about three years ago. What's it going to take here? Cashman being fired needs to happen, but it won't. Most or all of the coaching staff needs to be gutted, though. If things stay largely the same, then don't go to games next year. Send a message with your wallets. If you continue to spend money on this, you're a fool. Attendance was already down this year. Don't support these buffoons until wholesale changes are made.

The Yankees’ persistent offensive brownouts were one of the head-scratching mysteries of an underwhelming 2021 season, prompting the organization not to renew the contracts of hitting coach Marcus Thames and assistant hitting coach P.J. Pilittere, as The Athletic first reported on Thursday.

They'll probably still wind up keeping Boone and Cashman isn't going anywhere, but this is something at least. I think a new voice is just needed for these guys on offense.

Edit: Phil Nevin was let go as well.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-will-not-renew-contracts-of-hitting-coaches-third-base-coach

Edited by Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They'll probably still wind up keeping Boone and Cashman isn't going anywhere, but this is something at least. I think a new voice is just needed for these guys on offense.

Edit: Phil Nevin was let go as well.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-will-not-renew-contracts-of-hitting-coaches-third-base-coach

Probably right Sharpy.  I don't really think shuffling these guys is going to make a difference.  They should probably look at the players:

Gio Urshela - great defensively but for a corner infielder : 14 HR - 49 RBI

Gary Sanchez - .204 Average 23HR - 54 RBI

Joey Gallo - .160 Average with 88 K's in 55 games with us

Gleyber Torres - 9 HR- 54 RBI

...just to name a few!

I just don't see them getting rid of Cashman, Big K.....we'll see about Boone, but I doubt it now.  I was listening to Michael Kay's show the other day and seems that Boone is pretty sought after by San Diego.

I think the Yankees are intent on keeping him.

I really have more issues with Torres, Sanchez, and the players that didn't play up to their potential.  DJ had a shitty year, and Luke couldn't stay on the field.  Hicks also missed the whole season.

Our hitting with RISP was atrocious, and I don't even wanna get into our base running...I just ate!!!  LOL 

Cashman is basically the Yankees Glen Sather. He'll have a job for life under this ownership. A lot of teams now are looking for puppet like managers who are big on analytics. The Cardinals just fired their manager despite the seasons they've had under him because he was more old school in his approach. So, if Boone stays or goes, the Yankees are still going to have some buffoon who's going to answer to the roundtable of Cashman and his analytical cronies. 

Their roster decisions are going to be interesting. I don't see Torres or Sanchez going anywhere. I think they'll try to move Voit again this offseason, and likely get it done this time. We'll see. With DJ I hope his shitty year was just an aberration since he's signed for five more years. lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Cashman is basically the Yankees Glen Sather. He'll have a job for life under this ownership. A lot of teams now are looking for puppet like managers who are big on analytics. The Cardinals just fired their manager despite the seasons they've had under him because he was more old school in his approach. So, if Boone stays or goes, the Yankees are still going to have some buffoon who's going to answer to the roundtable of Cashman and his analytical cronies. 

Their roster decisions are going to be interesting. I don't see Torres or Sanchez going anywhere. I think they'll try to move Voit again this offseason, and likely get it done this time. We'll see. With DJ I hope his shitty year was just an aberration since he's signed for five more years. lol

Why do you have to say stuff like this? I want new management 

Sad Sterling K Brown GIF by This Is Us

im concerned you might be right about Sanchez, but I want them to move on. Don’t care that they’ll lose his bat, they need consistency. Would be okay moving on for Torres too. If Cashman fields the same roster this team is toast.

• Like 1

lol Sorry. I mean, so many Yankees fans will be pissed just if Boone is back, let alone if they don't make enough decent roster moves. Yeah Sanchez's bat came back a bit this year, but he still sucks ass defensively and he hits marginally better than .200. Just, no thanks. Like you said, consistency. If their team offense was better, I wouldn't mind just having a true, good defensive catcher out there every day. Assuming they trade Voit and Rizzo doesn't come back, I really hope they don't move DJ to first. He could probably handle the duties defensively, but that's an offensive position and he just doesn't put up the power numbers and RBI for it. He's not that type of player.

Another guy who will seemingly be on the Yankees roster until he dies is Brett Gardner. He still puts in quality at bats and had a solid second half, which leads me to believe that Cashman will lock him up for another year anyway. lol As far as new management goes, I don't think that will change as long as Hal is in charge. As long as they're bringing in boat loads of money (which they still are), then he'll be alright with it. The Yankees have accepted just being good enough, instead of being elite, and it is sad.

31 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Aaron Boone signs a new deal. I am not surprised.

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-boone-deal-with-yankees

...Figured it was coming....You know what Sharpy, I still think they need to address the players on this one.  Boone's not the issue in my eyes.  A guy that's batting .195 and can't play his position is more worrisome to me.

Yeah, while I'm not a huge fan of Boone by any stretch, they still need to drastically change the makeup and mentality of this team as far as players are concerned. I thought he did a really good job back in 2019 when they had all of those injuries and it was, "Next Man Up!". Get some players that get on base, hit for average, play good defense. The complete opposite has been the case since Cashman has been the GM, though.

• Applause 1

Torres did look a bit better when they moved him to second base. This is a big offseason for the Yankees. They've pissed off a lot of their fans already by bringing Boone back. lol They'll need to do some serious talent evaluation this year. But, I am excited about a full season of Severino (I hope) and someone like Luis Gil getting a steady spot in the rotation. The first base situation will be interesting too.

With this season, it was great that they finally got really good, healthy seasons from Stanton and Judge, but no one else did anything. lol

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Torres did look a bit better when they moved him to second base. This is a big offseason for the Yankees. They've pissed off a lot of their fans already by bringing Boone back. lol They'll need to do some serious talent evaluation this year. But, I am excited about a full season of Severino (I hope) and someone like Luis Gil getting a steady spot in the rotation. The first base situation will be interesting too.

With this season, it was great that they finally got really good, healthy seasons from Stanton and Judge, but no one else did anything. lol

I'm with you Sharpy!  First base is going to be a tough choice, you're right.

Luke Voit can't stay on the field but if he can, I changed my mind....he would be the guy to go with.  Rizzo is an excellent fielder, but I think Luke will outproduce his offensive numbers, and a corner infielder should be putting up big stats.  Voit can field the position pretty well, but he's gotta play rather than sitting on the DL all season!

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Next year will be the "rebound season". 

I still think Boone is the least of my worries, We need to move on from Sanchez, Torres, and a couple others.  They'll be back....it's the Yankees!  LOL

Sanchez has got to go, he's a waste of space. Bring up Brantly and sign Lucroy (yep, he's available). 

Torres can be moved to second base, he was going off since he was moved to 2nd and Gio to shortstop.

Odor needs to be launched to the moon, what a terrible acquisition. The Rangers gave him away for a bag of used baseballs lol.  

I think they let Boone stay, but I think he's been told to get new assistant coaches (especially the hitting). 

So on that note, Go Yankees!

• Applause 1