• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Yankees Thread

Blue Heaven

A huge performance by Heaney last night after two bad starts. As much as I like Gleyber, despite his offensive disappointments, Velasquez has done a super job. He was amazing this series and that game-ending play he made yesterday was icing on the cake. You can absolutely feel everything coming together for this team. I still think winning the division really isn't likely, but I have confidence they can lock down the Wild Card. We shall see. The lineup looks a lot better too, and I don't mean just health wise. Everyone seems to be putting in more quality at bats and seeing more pitches, which is also a good sign.

They have a lot more versatility with Rizzo's and Gallo's left handed bats in there. I think that in itself sets them up better for most pitching matchups. Add in the fact that they're starting to steal bases, and run with more intelligence at the right times of the game, and we have what we're getting now.

As far as Velasquez, I think the guy has been an absolute added shot of adrenaline in this team, Sharpy. He's been really good defensively and he's starting to swing the bat with some success.

The Yanks may very well have to make room for him, and it may free them up to unload some salary in the off season....But for now, the ride is getting very interesting.

Britton looked more true to form last night, thank god!! I'm still concerned with Chapman...I know it was his first game back, but he didn't look right out there. Hopefully he gets his shit together fast....we're gonna need him a lot.

I am concerned about Chapman too. I mean, is it still a fingernail issue with him? How about getting it addressed? I know he was just on IL for some arm fatigue, but we're probably never going to know the whole story. Even though it got hairy late last night, another win. Hopefully they can win all four against Minnesota, they are good at beating them. lol But, this lineup is definitely in place and Urshela hasn't even come back yet. I think Stanton getting more reps in the outfield really helps him and switching he and Voit in DH role is a good way of keeping everyone happy and having another bat in the lineup.

I am concerned about Chapman too. I mean, is it still a fingernail issue with him? How about getting it addressed? I know he was just on IL for some arm fatigue, but we're probably never going to know the whole story. Even though it got hairy late last night, another win. Hopefully they can win all four against Minnesota, they are good at beating them. lol But, this lineup is definitely in place and Urshela hasn't even come back yet. I think Stanton getting more reps in the outfield really helps him and switching he and Voit in DH role is a good way of keeping everyone happy and having another bat in the lineup.

It's really got a good feeling to it right now, Sharpy and you hit on all cylinders here!

It's going to be a fun ride to the finish, and hopefully they can continue to win games, and take each series like a playoff series, and win the games they're "supposed" to. I don't expect to win 'em all, but as long as they hang in there, they'll have a fighting chance in a lot of them!

10 straight! I read a stat where Yankees starters the last 3 months or so have an ERA of 3.25 or something like that. The Matt Blake factor is real. He's even made Wandy Peralta very reliable. This team is just buzzing right now. I feel like that this is the first time all season they've actually had fun, since getting Gallo and Rizzo, especially. Even if Gallo has a low average and strikes out a lot, he still gets on base a lot with walks. It seems like he's had a run scored every game with this team since being acquired.

10 straight! I read a stat where Yankees starters the last 3 months or so have an ERA of 3.25 or something like that. The Matt Blake factor is real. He's even made Wandy Peralta very reliable. This team is just buzzing right now. I feel like that this is the first time all season they've actually had fun, since getting Gallo and Rizzo, especially. Even if Gallo has a low average and strikes out a lot, he still gets on base a lot with walks. It seems like he's had a run scored every game with this team since being acquired.

I can't believe what I'm seeing outta these guys. They've developed a way of manufacturing runs with speed and fundamental play. Rizzo and Gallo have been a breath of fresh air and Gil/Ridings have made a nice impact as well.

All that aside, Velasquez has been phenomenal, and makes me wonder how long Gleyber is going to be in pinstripes after this season. He's been a great guy to rally around.

It's been a lot of fun to watch lately, and I haven't missed too many innings during this stretch.

Chapman looked a lot better last night too! :thumbs:

I can't believe what I'm seeing outta these guys. They've developed a way of manufacturing runs with speed and fundamental play. Rizzo and Gallo have been a breath of fresh air and Gil/Ridings have made a nice impact as well.

All that aside, Velasquez has been phenomenal, and makes me wonder how long Gleyber is going to be in pinstripes after this season. He's been a great guy to rally around.

It's been a lot of fun to watch lately, and I haven't missed too many innings during this stretch.

I’m concerned about the lineup, now that Gio and Torres are coming back soon. I don’t want Boone making changes tbh. Just leave it as is for now. It’s working and working well. I don’t want to see Velasquez benched either.

I’m concerned about the lineup, now that Gio and Torres are coming back soon. I don’t want Boone making changes tbh. Just leave it as is for now. It’s working and working well. I don’t want to see Velasquez benched either.

I hear ya, Shane...The thing is the Yankees now have a "problem" of having too many good players!!! I can see them doing a rotation to rest some guys coming down the stretch though.

We're gonna need Gio for sure. Torres, not so much....I think he's gonna get Wally Pipp'd.

DJ and Odor could rotate at 2nd base

Luke and Rizzo at 1B

The outfield is pretty solid right now with Gallo in Left, Judge rotating in CF and RF, and Stanton has held his own out there in RF. Gardner is best coming off the bench with Wade being our "All-Purpose guy".

I would think come the playoffs they're going to roll with who's hot....but for this stretch run, I'm digging this mix. This team has life for the first time in ages, and even though Rizzo is slumping a little, the "Squid" is a fun guy to watch!! They're doing the little things that win a ball game when the big fly isn't available; stealing bases, hitting behind the runner, and sacrificing to knock in runners in scoring position.

The bullpen got a chance to get a little rest the last few days, and it's paying off in spades. Loisiga seems to have found "it", and he looks untouchable out there. Chapman has me concerned, but when he's on, he's dynamite.

...still a lot of games to go and they're probably gonna need all hands on deck for this to get there. They dug themselves a hell of a hole in the first half of the season, as you know, but this thing's far from in the bank!

We'll see how it goes, but it's been a great watch since the All Star break. :thumbs:

I really don't underatand why getting two power hitters in Gallo and Rizzo has gotten them to play more with speed, but they are. I think they said since the ASB the Yankees are leading the league in stolen bases. If they played that aggressive all year, you have to wonder where they would be.

I would still prefer to see more base to base. Listen, if a guy like Gardner is up and it's 1st and 2nd nobody out, SAC BUNT. I feel there are lots of runs still left on the board.

I really don't underatand why getting two power hitters in Gallo and Rizzo has gotten them to play more with speed, but they are. I think they said since the ASB the Yankees are leading the league in stolen bases. If they played that aggressive all year, you have to wonder where they would be.

I would still prefer to see more base to base. Listen, if a guy like Gardner is up and it's 1st and 2nd nobody out, SAC BUNT. I feel there are lots of runs still left on the board.

Absolutely, RMC...If I had a nickel for everytime I said, "How about a bunt?" I could've retired already this year!!! :rofl:

I love the old school play, and I don't like it when guys strike out a lot. Productive at bats is where it's at for me. We're actually seeing a lot more of that now, and even Stanton has been more selective at the plate.

About Gallo and Rizzo, I don't think it's the "speed", I think it allows them to be a more balanced team in the way of Lefty/Righty. We had all right handed bats playing in a stadium that's best suited for lefties! LOL

Now the lineup goes Lefty/righty all the way down, and I belive it's harder for teams to match up when they go to the pen late in games.

The Yanks are doing a lot of damage in the later innings because I think they're getting more favorable matchups. Rizzo and Gallo, both lefty bats have added a dimension that had been lost due to Hicks' injury. But both of those guys can really play! Rizzo is a Platinum Glove award winner and Gallo has a rocket of an arm and is a former All star Left Fielder.

I can't help it though, I've really latched on to Velasquez, and I think he's a really slick infielder. He reminds me of a certain #2, the way he plays shortstop.

Eleven! Also, Ozzy, thank you for reminding me that Hicks existed. I completely forgot about that awful baseball player. That was one thing that mystified me going into the year was that the Yankees basically had zero power left-handed bats. Yeah, Hicks has some pop, but he's not that great. I had never seen that before in my life where a team like the Yankees didn't really have a huge power threat on the left side of the plate. I don't think that's ever happened. lol Again, though, it's been the pitching and defense that's improved big time, and a big reason why they're on this streak. They're even doing better on the bases and stealing more. I think playing the outfield more is helping Stanton tremendously. August is traditionally one of his better months in his career statistically. Rizzo has cooled off offensively, and despite his prime years being over, he's still very much a threat, while providing very good defense. I also think his acquisition has lit a fire under Voit's ass who is now finally healthy as well.

Eleven! Also, Ozzy, thank you for reminding me that Hicks existed. I completely forgot about that awful baseball player. That was one thing that mystified me going into the year was that the Yankees basically had zero power left-handed bats. Yeah, Hicks has some pop, but he's not that great. I had never seen that before in my life where a team like the Yankees didn't really have a huge power threat on the left side of the plate. I don't think that's ever happened. lol Again, though, it's been the pitching and defense that's improved big time, and a big reason why they're on this streak. They're even doing better on the bases and stealing more. I think playing the outfield more is helping Stanton tremendously. August is traditionally one of his better months in his career statistically. Rizzo has cooled off offensively, and despite his prime years being over, he's still very much a threat, while providing very good defense. I also think his acquisition has lit a fire under Voit's ass who is now finally healthy as well.

100% on all fronts, Sharpy! Rizzo is definitely pushing Voit, and he needed that! I don't even remember what number Hicks wore, for Christ' sake!! LOL

Judge in CF looks like a win! No one runs on him....EVER! And yeah, Stanton probably feels more involved playing RF. He's starting to catch fire at the plate too! Nothing wrong with that!!

Chapman is really getting to be a concern, and now with Britton on the shelf we're gonna have to rely on some of these younger arms to step up. I'm actually cool with that, because I wanna see more of Ridings, Gil, and I've taken a bit more of a liking to Loiasga, now that he's not afraid to trust his stuff.

How's that Tochman trade for Peralta looking now??? :rofl:

Stanton playing the field needs to be a regular thing. I don't know if this team is good enough to win the World Series, but they're just playing some really good fundamental baseball right now. Judge has been amazing as well. There's just more spirit in their game that wasn't there a month or two ago. Also, I would like to thank Matt Blake for doing a fantastic job with the pitching staff.

Cashman, I think is fine....he still gets great deals on players like Rizzo and Gallo.  The farm system still has some good prospects and he's been OK in my book.  He's made some blunders along the way, but nothing earth shattering...

With Boone, he's been kinda damned if he does or damned if he don't.  The players on the field simply haven't executed to their potential.  He was handed a good lineup to start the year, and ended up with all righties until Cash pulled the trigger on Gallo and Rizzo to get some balance.

They were looking so unstoppable during that 13 game run....They just stopped executing and playing small ball!!  WHY???

It was working...now it's back to hitting into double plays and scoring only when they hit a home run.  That's where they were when they fell in the standings and here we go again.  I'm hoping Boone puts Velasquez back in there over Torres because I think they need another approach with getting runners on base and being able to execute in the field.

Torres made me sick on Sunday, when he held the ball and let the guy beat the throw to first on a routine play for the 3rd out.  Then the next batter hits a home run and now its 5-4 instead of 5-2 and coming to bat! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Cashman, I think is fine....he still gets great deals on players like Rizzo and Gallo.  The farm system still has some good prospects and he's been OK in my book.  He's made some blunders along the way, but nothing earth shattering...

With Boone, he's been kinda damned if he does or damned if he don't.  The players on the field simply haven't executed to their potential.  He was handed a good lineup to start the year, and ended up with all righties until Cash pulled the trigger on Gallo and Rizzo to get some balance.

They were looking so unstoppable during that 13 game run....They just stopped executing and playing small ball!!  WHY???

It was working...now it's back to hitting into double plays and scoring only when they hit a home run.  That's where they were when they fell in the standings and here we go again.  I'm hoping Boone puts Velasquez back in there over Torres because I think they need another approach with getting runners on base and being able to execute in the field.

Torres made me sick on Sunday, when he held the ball and let the guy beat the throw to first on a routine play for the 3rd out.  Then the next batter hits a home run and now its 5-4 instead of 5-2 and coming to bat! 

Agree with most of this. It’s Boone that I’m tired of. I think he’s too reliant/easily swayed by the analytics department and  it continues to blow up in his face. Those two losses to Baltimore were absolutely brutal. 

26 minutes ago, Shane Falco said:

Agree with most of this. It’s Boone that I’m tired of. I think he’s too reliant/easily swayed by the analytics department and  it continues to blow up in his face. Those two losses to Baltimore were absolutely brutal. 

I'm with you Shane, I think Boone gets really wrapped up in the numbers too...sometimes to a fault.  But the thing is, when you have players like Torres, who is playing FAR below expectations, and Chapman, who's confidence is as fragile as balsa wood, there's only so much a manager can do.

I forget sometimes to add in that they were pretty beaten up with injuries to some pretty significant guys like Hicks, Seve, and Kluber when he was pitching much better.  It's hard to fall back on that too, because every team has had their share of that crap as well....but if there's a silver lining for Boone I think that'd be it.

I really liked when they were stealing bases and bunting to manufacture runs with Velasquez, Davis and Florial.  That small ball mixed in with the big bats was working so well.  I don't know why they messed with it. 

Seems as soon as Torres came back they went in the shitter!  LOL