• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Brendan Lemieux to LAK For 4th Round Pick

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admired his toughness, wanted him to improve and succeed. But he didn't. With DeAngelo and Lemieux gone, they better sign Smith to a team-friendly deal or Buch is going to be the one to take on Tom Wilson.

That said, this why they drafted both Schneider and Cuylle. So their stock just rose.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

we’ve got some scrappy guys to get by in Lindgren, Truba, Smith, &even Strome. it’s unfortunate though that a lot of our big guys are so passive (Buch, Kreider, Gauthier, Miller..). but hey, we drafted Braden “The Jaw” Schneider for this very purpose so cheers.

we’ve got some scrappy guys to get by in Lindgren, Truba, Smith, &even Strome. it’s unfortunate though that a lot of our big guys are so passive (Buch, Kreider, Gauthier, Miller..). but hey, we drafted Braden “The Jaw” Schneider for this very purpose so cheers.

Where is Schneider playing now?

Two years was plenty of time for him to pan out. In anticipation of the Expansion Draft, everyone is looking to move bodies for picks, making the picks your going to get for a given player probably not as high as in an ordinary year.
  • Like 1

Let's be honest, he fucking sucked. He brought chippiness to the table for sure, but he got his ass beat in most fights and took dumb ass penalties. I won't be sad to see him gone.

This sums it up perfectly. Won’t be said to see him go, he was just taking a roster space from someone, anyone else.

At the end of the day, the Rangers managed to get, figure, the 100th overall pick and 1.5m in cap space in return for a guy they couldn't protect in the expansion draft, was a marginally net negative offensive player, a marginally net negative defensive player, and someone who really only offered "toughness". Lemieux's maybe got a little more pop in him than what we saw here, but it's not really enough to cover the shortcomings. He plays a dying breed of hockey - you can't be only tough or only a pest or only physical anymore. He's a good dude, and you want to root for him, but he's a replacement level player. Getting a 4th for a replacement level player is simply good asset management.
  • Like 1

At the end of the day, the Rangers managed to get, figure, the 100th overall pick and 1.5m in cap space in return for a guy they couldn't protect in the expansion draft, was a marginally net negative offensive player, a marginally net negative defensive player, and someone who really only offered "toughness". Lemieux's maybe got a little more pop in him than what we saw here, but it's not really enough to cover the shortcomings. He plays a dying breed of hockey - you can't be only tough or only a pest or only physical anymore. He's a good dude, and you want to root for him, but he's a replacement level player. Getting a 4th for a replacement level player is simply good asset management.

Yup. It might even allow them to move up 8-10 spots in the 3rd round to get a player they are targetting.

I wouldn’t go as far as good roster management as I’d say indifferent roster management. He wasn’t really a problem and if it was to make roster space for Kravtsov so be it, but at least he somewhat had grit.

My problem isn’t so much getting rid of him as it is that we have no other toughness really. You really can’t just have 4 lines of the same style and we still have a zero identity 4th line. We just became more vanilla and I wasn’t 3vrn sure that was actually possible. I’m also not so huge on specifically having your toughest guys be defensemen in terms of the possibility of fighting. If they do fight, it puts a strain on the rest of the D a lot more than if it’s a fwd but that may be nitpicking.

Speaking of nitpicking. How sad is it that Lemieux had more points than Kakko? Jesus.

• Like 1

If they do fight, it puts a strain on the rest of the D a lot more than if it’s a fwd but that may be nitpicking.

Good point. It will now fall on Smith, if he's in the lineup, and if he's not, who? I don't want to see someone like Kreider feeling like he has to fight because he's strong and supposed to be a leader. Tom Wilson may be eyeing the lineup to see who he wants to pick on. Not that he wouldn't be with Lemieux around, but at least having Lemieux around would make for a pretty painless sacrifice to the Wilson dragon.

I can buy the good roster management angle. That's logical. There's obviously a bit of a crunch, even if the decisions are between a shit sandwich and a giant douche.

My issue is with roster construction. These are two different things, and now we're even softer than yesterday, and yesterday we were really soft. I know it's hard to find grit that can play, but we're not even trying at this point.

• Like 1

I can buy the good roster management angle. That's logical. There's obviously a bit of a crunch, even if the decisions are between a shit sandwich and a giant douche.

My issue is with roster construction. These are two different things, and now we're even softer than yesterday, and yesterday we were really soft. I know it's hard to find grit that can play, but we're not even trying at this point.

I think the brass would argue that they're trying to acquire toughness through the draft. Both Schneider and Cuylle are big boys with a somewhat felonious love for crushing people. Schneider seems a lock to make the NHL but Cuylle is a coin flip at this point.

But they've also picked up boy giants Adam Edstrom and Matthew Rempe. Edstrom has been suspended once this year in the uber-polite SHL, but who knows if either one will ultimately distinguish themselves as anything more than a pituitary gland run amok.

Maybe Gorton has a trade target that comes with that skill set. But I agree that this leaves leaves them largely vulnerable to intimidation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think the brass would argue that they're trying to acquire toughness through the draft. Both Schneider and Cuylle are big boys with a somewhat felonious love for crushing people. Schneider seems a lock to make the NHL but Cuylle is a coin flip at this point.

But they've also picked up boy giants Adam Edstrom and Matthew Rempe. Edstrom has been suspended once this year in the uber-polite SHL, but who knows if either one will ultimately distinguish themselves as anything more than a pituitary gland run amok.

Maybe Gorton has a trade target that comes with that skill set. But I agree that this leaves leaves them largely vulnerable to intimidation.

They’re 18 with 0 nhl games. We need those guys 2 years ago

Admired his toughness, wanted him to improve and succeed. But he didn't. With DeAngelo and Lemieux gone, they better sign Smith to a team-friendly deal or Buch is going to be the one to take on Tom Wilson.

That said, this why they drafted both Schneider and Cuylle. So their stock just rose.

They'll be okay, but I could see them signing and established fourth line presence this off-season to shore things up. Not sure who's available but someone in the Martin or Clifford mold. Big, tough, but can legitimately play and keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk