• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Brendan Lemieux to LAK For 4th Round Pick

I hear that, but you also can't have "just" toughness - it's got to be a value add.

You can be tough and also be a shutdown forward. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also be a goalscorer. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also be a puck possession master. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also be a situationally aware playmaker. That's not Lemieux.

You can be tough and also trusted to win key faceoffs. That's not Lemieux.

You can be Ryan Callahan, or Mike Fisher, or Brad Marchand, or Matthew Tkachuk, or even Sean Avery and still succeed in this league. You can't be just tough - it's got to be "tough, and" - and Lemieux is "just tough". Doubly so when he's a player getting paid over league minimum and would be a loss in the expansion draft.

I know it subtracts an element from our lineup, but this is probably the best possible outcome for us. Get a decent mid-round pick, clear some cap, clarify the expansion draft situation for a guy that's generously replacement level. That's a win.

There are 3-5 guys they should have dealt, waived or sent to Hartford instead of trading a locker room guy and your only pain in the ass/ rigid player.

They could easily have gotten rid of Howden (redundant/useless) Rooney (redundant if you keep Howden), Blackwell (AHL lifer) Bitetto, DGP (AHL lifer)... There's garbage like Brodzinski and Johnson counting against the roster...

Get rid of the deadweight, redundant, no future here or in the league, filler before you get rid of the one guy that does something NOBODY on the roster is capable of doing.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3-5 guys they should have dealt, waived or sent to Hartford instead of trading a locker room guy and your only pain in the ass/ rigid player.

They could easily have gotten rid of Howden (redundant/useless) Rooney (redundant if you keep Howden), Blackwell (AHL lifer) Bitetto, DGP (AHL lifer)... There's garbage like Brodzinski and Johnson counting against the roster...

Get rid of the deadweight, redundant, no future here or in the league, filler before you get rid of the one guy that does something NOBODY on the roster is capable of doing.

Brodzinski and Johnson don't count against the roster so that's not right. Rooney, Blackwell, and PDG are all better players than Lemieux. He's just better at getting punched in the face than they are.

Howden is expansion draft fodder.

Do you really watch Lemieux and think that he's a factor in anything? He's been invisible for 99% of the season.

Brodzinski and Johnson don't count against the roster so that's not right. Rooney, Blackwell, and PDG are all better players than Lemieux. He's just better at getting punched in the face than they are.

Do you really watch Lemieux and think that he's a factor in anything? He's been invisible for 99% of the season.

Some fans just looooove toughness and grit, and that outweighs the ability to play defense in their eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

People said that when he left Winnipeg and it didn’t exactly pan out. Let’s call a spade a spade. 4th line grinder

Worked pretty well when slotted up during Kreiders injury last season. Can be parked in front on a PP and contribute. Dude has done everything they put on his plate. I guess they wanted him to kill penalties? I don't see why he couldn't be used there. He wasn't.

I think we'll hear about a bit more success from him by next season.

Worked pretty well when slotted up during Kreiders injury last season. Can be parked in front on a PP and contribute. Dude has done everything they put on his plate. I guess they wanted him to kill penalties? I don't see why he couldn't be used there. He wasn't.

I think we'll hear about a bit more success from him by next season.

He was an albatross on the PP and can’t play defense. He can barely handle the puck. Let’s not get bent out of shape for a guy that wasn’t gonna be here for more than another year or two, and certainly isn’t make or break for our roster

Right. He's 25 and it's not as though he hasn't been given offensive opportunities. He was on the second PP unit for the start of this season and had some stints playing up in the lineup last season. He just doesn't have the tools.

Well yeah but no. He did good when slotted up. On the 2nd PP unit for the start of the season? Does that mean one shift or three?

I'm not saying he's a top line player. But he should be getting more time than he's been. Plus that 4th line center situation is not helping any wings.

Well yeah but no. He did good when slotted up. On the 2nd PP unit for the start of the season? Does that mean one shift or three?

I'm not saying he's a top line player. But he should be getting more time than he's been. Plus that 4th line center situation is not helping any wings.

26:15 on the PP. More than Chytil and just 8 seconds under Blackwell. That's more than enough for a player of his skillet.

I see that out of the guys I listed. Atleast with Lemieux, you get a fight, a net crash, some semblance of offense as well as grit.

These players are NOT better IMO. Not when the team has 3 other AHL lifers who do the sa. Being a better skater doesn't make them better. What they contribute can be found elsewhere on the roster Unlike Lemieux.

He was an albatross on the PP and can’t play defense. He can barely handle the puck. Let’s not get bent out of shape for a guy that wasn’t gonna be here for more than another year or two, and certainly isn’t make or break for our roster

Lmao, you'd rather keep players that clear waivers daily. Lemieux wouldn't. There's a reason for that.

26:15 on the PP. More than Chytil and just 8 seconds under Blackwell. That's more than enough for a player of his skillet.

Wasnt this during the time when the team was dogshit, just released its top PP QB, and the their first line center had 1 point for the first 3 months of the season? Let's not talk about the grinders production on the 2nd PP unit as if it has legs to stand on. Again... he's out producing Kakko, has 2 less goals and the same amount of assists, than the offensive dynamo just picked 1st overall.

By comparison of what the player is supposed to be. He was phenomenal

And in that order:

Is a center, required for expansion exposure and outscoring Lemieux, required for expansion exposure and outscoring Lemieux, required for expansion exposure, outscoring Lemieux, completely irrelevant guy who played four games, guy out for season.

Almost like they got rid of the guy they should have.

I would say 99% of his Rangers career. The guy always got his ass kicked.

It's mostly because it screams lack of a plan. Just another inconsistent decision imo.

I don't think Lemieux was a part of any plan to begin with so I don't think this affects much. I don't disagree that this team needs a little more bite or at least a change-of-pace from most of the roster makeup, but Lemieux wasn't that. They got an asset for him and are going to use his minutes to play younger and more deserving players like Kravtsov and eventually Barron. There is a plan. It just might not be something you agree with. They can worry about properly replacing Lemieux in the offseason.

I don't think Lemieux was a part of any plan to begin with so I don't think this affects much. I don't disagree that this team needs a little more bite or at least a change-of-pace from most of the roster makeup, but Lemieux wasn't that. They got an asset for him and are going to use his minutes to play younger and more deserving players like Kravtsov and eventually Barron. There is a plan. It just might not be something you agree with. They can worry about properly replacing Lemieux in the offseason.

grand plan no, but he was pretty cost effective and still had another year remaining. I sort of agree about Kravtsov and Barron but game one and it made room for..........PDG. Plus soon you get Howden back too. Think he aint cracking the lineup with Quinn at the helm?

As for Lemieux providing grit. It's whatever you want to call it. Did he scare anyone? No but this is 2021. There are 3 probably 3 players in the entire league that actually scare anyone. Did he step up when need to? Yes. At least in my mind. He also was around 4th in the team in hits this year despite barely playing. PDG hits too and passes him soon so there is that. Lemieux also led all forwards last year in hits and by a lot so the grit is there. Whether he wasnt allowed to show it as much this year or not is up for debate. He was given the least TOI per game for everyone not named Gauthier. But again, if we are going to say "well, players are judged on this year only" then I'm all for that. So get Howden off this team yesterday. I'll take the more specialized Lemieux rather than the vanilla Brett anyday. At least one actually provides SOMETHING or has the potential to. And for better actual production with 2 minutes less ice time per game.

Like I said, just strange roster inconsistencies that mirror the on ice inconsistencies. That leads me to believe the problem lies moreso with management than anything and that includes Gorton who has not been good at all.

grand plan no, but he was pretty cost effective and still had another year remaining. I sort of agree about Kravtsov and Barron but game one and it made room for..........PDG. Plus soon you get Howden back too. Think he aint cracking the lineup with Quinn at the helm?

As for Lemieux providing grit. It's whatever you want to call it. Did he scare anyone? No but this is 2021. There are 3 probably 3 players in the entire league that actually scare anyone. Did he step up when need to? Yes. At least in my mind. He also was around 4th in the team in hits this year despite barely playing. PDG hits too and passes him soon so there is that. Lemieux also led all forwards last year in hits and by a lot so the grit is there. Whether he wasnt allowed to show it as much this year or not is up for debate. He was given the least TOI per game for everyone not named Gauthier. But again, if we are going to say "well, players are judged on this year only" then I'm all for that. So get Howden off this team yesterday. I'll take the more specialized Lemieux rather than the vanilla Brett anyday. At least one actually provides SOMETHING or has the potential to. And for better actual production with 2 minutes less ice time per game.

Like I said, just strange roster inconsistencies that mirror the on ice inconsistencies. That leads me to believe the problem lies moreso with management than anything and that includes Gorton who has not been good at all.

Could be as simple as there wasn't a market for Howden.

Most of the players Gorton thinks aren't useful end up being useful elsewhere. I expect this to continue that trend.

Just be grateful the 4th rounder isn't due a new contract. Gorts would be offering slightly more than Panarin's note.

And in that order:

Is a center, required for expansion exposure and outscoring Lemieux, required for expansion exposure and outscoring Lemieux, required for expansion exposure, outscoring Lemieux, completely irrelevant guy who played four games, guy out for season.

Almost like they got rid of the guy they should have.

Seriously think this was done for the expansion draft? I don't think they gave up on the season just yet. This was just an non thought out move.. You don't drop a guy because you need others to Expose in the expansion draft, in which they are more likely to lose Kinkaid or Hajek.

Seriously think this was done for the expansion draft? I don't think they gave up on the season just yet. This was just an non thought out move.. You don't drop a guy because you need others to Expose in the expansion draft, in which they are more likely to lose Kinkaid or Hajek.

No, I think they sold a depreciating asset who will cost them cap space and who won't have a shot at next years lineup.

But there are rules governing the minimum level of player you need to expose in the expansion draft that require us to keep Rooney and Blackwell. That and they're markedly better players than Lemieux.