• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I can't get remotely upset if that ends up being the "out" for Eichel. If the untouchable list is at the Kakko/K'Andre level, barring Lundkvist, we're not giving up anything potentially elite.

As tbe article says, you functionally lose Zibanejad to start with. It's essentially Zibanejad, plus, plus, plus...

Fuck that.

As tbe article says, you functionally lose Zibanejad to start with. It's essentially Zibanejad, plus, plus, plus...

Fuck that.

In a vacuum, yes, but if the team expects to lose him anyway, it's easier to rationalize.

In a vacuum, yes, but if the team expects to lose him anyway, it's easier to rationalize.

Not even in a vaccuum though. If Zib comes in at 8-8.5 it is doable.They can absolutely make them both work. It will certainly be tight in a couple of more seasons (summer '23 specifically), and they would eventually be forced to move out Trouba or Kreider shortly after their NMC becomes a NTC. But it's doable.

The breaking point now, for me, is the injury concern.

Not even in a vaccuum though. If Zib comes in at 8-8.5 it is doable.They can absolutely make them both work. It will certainly be tight in a couple of more seasons (summer '23 specifically), and they would eventually be forced to move out Trouba or Kreider shortly after their NMC becomes a NTC. But it's doable.

Of course. That's the number one, two, three, eight, twelve, sixty-eight, etc. concerns.

What I mean, though, is if what Brooks is suggesting is valid and Zibanejad is looking for something richer than Eichel's current deal, it's a lot easier to rationalize the idea of acquiring Eichel and then trading or letting Zibanejad leave, knowing this.

One of the bigger considerations, imo, is that league average salary dropped over 11% last year. That's probably a consistent trend and one that at least makes you ask what true market value for Eichel and Zibanejad really is.

Zib's got an unfortunate reality coming fast in that he can pretty much either get paid next season and go wherever the world takes him, sign long term at below market value with us, or sign a 2 year extension and gamble that he'll still be big-ticket payable in 2024 when the cap rises and he's 31.

Of course. That's the number one, two, three, eight, twelve, sixty-eight, etc. concerns.

What I mean, though, is if what Brooks is suggesting is valid and Zibanejad is looking for something richer than Eichel's current deal, it's a lot easier to rationalize the idea of acquiring Eichel and then trading or letting Zibanejad leave, knowing this.

Gotcha. Yeah agreed. If Eichel checks out, I'll take Eichel @10 over Zib @ 10+. Trade Zib in that case.

From what I've been reading, an Eichel deal happens sooner rather than later for multiple reasons. If the Rangers can't negotiate a contract extension with Zib until 7/28, that is post-draft which doesn't work. Can they at least verbally negotiate with Zib now to find out price or is that against the rules?

Hopefully just standard DD, or even better, complete horseshit.

any time I hear Buffalo wanting Miller, I think its horseshit.

That would have to mean Buffalo is taking Berniers, because they aren't going Dahlin - Power - Miller down the left.

Oh sorry "demand" Miller

Gotcha. Yeah agreed. If Eichel checks out, I'll take Eichel @10 over Zib @ 10+. Trade Zib in that case.

From what I've been reading, an Eichel deal happens sooner rather than later for multiple reasons. If the Rangers can't negotiate a contract extension with Zib until 7/28, that is post-draft which doesn't work. Can they at least verbally negotiate with Zib now to find out price or is that against the rules?

Against the rules, but they have time to make that call. Basically an entire year. So you could, theoretically, acquire Eichel, run Eichel-Zib most of this season, and then make a call at whatever point this year prior to the deadline to extend or trade. Like they did with Kreider.

The question is if people value Zibanejad as a player you KNOW performs here less than the lure of the "elite" talent that is Eichel, who has been a perennial loser, who can't lead a team..

Unless they can get Zibanejad to take a team friendly deal, they are essentially walking away from him, giving up assets and running with Eichel and very realistically, no 2nd line center after next season.

Is much changing with this teams make up by bringing in Eichel?

Unless Zibanejad or Strome are deemed locker room problems, or guys that were insubordination with the previous coach, I don't know if they should get Eichel in here. Do you risk breaking up what actually does work on this team, to bring in a similar type player?

Unless it's a trade that they absolutely can't walk away from, they have to resist making a change for the sake of change.

If this were for a big hulking power center, I'd get it. But for a sulking, injured, guy who is constantly a part of bottom dwelling teams? It'd have to be a steal if not a hard no.

Hard pass on Malkin, the guy is injured most of the time. Need someone younger, heather.

I cant believe we are even still talking about this. This core does not need Eichel. He adds 0 to this roster. Pry Malkin from Pitt if you wanna give assets for something this team is lacking. No to Eichel. Hands down.

Yeah, I don't think they absolutely need Eichel, plus that neck issue scares me. I don't care if he's deemed good to do after a second, third, and fourth opinions, I'm just steering clear of that. I understand him voicing his displeasure with Buffalo and all, I get it, but something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

The question is if people value Zibanejad as a player you KNOW performs here less than the lure of the "elite" talent that is Eichel, who has been a perennial loser, who can't lead a team..

Unless they can get Zibanejad to take a team friendly deal, they are essentially walking away from him, giving up assets and running with Eichel and very realistically, no 2nd line center after next season.

Is much changing with this teams make up by bringing in Eichel?

Unless Zibanejad or Strome are deemed locker room problems, or guys that were insubordination with the previous coach, I don't know if they should get Eichel in here. Do you risk breaking up what actually does work on this team, to bring in a similar type player?

Unless it's a trade that they absolutely can't walk away from, they have to resist making a change for the sake of change.

If this were for a big hulking power center, I'd get it. But for a sulking, injured, guy who is constantly a part of bottom dwelling teams? It'd have to be a steal if not a hard no.

In a rare moment of what has to be the planets aligning and the actual Mayan apocalypse, we agree on something.

My sole kickback here is if Buffalo retains salary and Mika signs for whatever the Rangers are paying Eichel - that's a 1-2 punch that I cannot argue with regardless of size. Both of them on twin 8m salaries with three young wings on ELCs and Panarin...that works.

In a rare moment of what has to be the planets aligning and the actual Mayan apocalypse, we agree on something.

My sole kickback here is if Buffalo retains salary and Mika signs for whatever the Rangers are paying Eichel - that's a 1-2 punch that I cannot argue with regardless of size. Both of them on twin 8m salaries with three young wings on ELCs and Panarin...that works.

If the trade comes with them eating some salary b/c truthfully to give up Mika next offseason for Eichel is likely at best a lateral move.

Lmao.

Is there that big a difference between Strome and Eichel? Or Strome and Zibanejad?

You'd be trading assets for what really really seems like a lateral move and not a serious upgrade. I don't really see the point, unless the Rangers want to do a hard reset and break up the band. The only reason to do this lateral move is if one of Zibanejad or Strome are problematic. Which I can't imagine. BUT, it does seem like they would have to be part of the group that tuned out their coach and stopped playing for him. Is that maybe seen as a problem?

I just can't make sense of dismantling what actually does work here, for a player with similar abilities and styles of play. Only difference being Eichel has captained a bunch of bottom dwelling teams, despite having a few decent rosters.

It's a move for the sake of making big splash. Maybe it's an excuse to trade the young players, before any contract issues make it an even harder decision?

Lmao.

Is there that big a difference between Strome and Eichel? Or Strome and Zibanejad?

You'd be trading assets for what really really seems like a lateral move and not a serious upgrade. I don't really see the point, unless the Rangers want to do a hard reset and break up the band. The only reason to do this lateral move is if one of Zibanejad or Strome are problematic. Which I can't imagine. BUT, it does seem like they would have to be part of the group that tuned out their coach and stopped playing for him. Is that maybe seen as a problem?

I just can't make sense of dismantling what actually does work here, for a player with similar abilities and styles of play. Only difference being Eichel has captained a bunch of bottom dwelling teams, despite having a few decent rosters.

It's a move for the sake of making big splash. Maybe it's an excuse to trade the young players, before any contract issues make it an even harder decision?

All about the price, and at the rumored asking price it's hard to say no, especially if Buffalo retains salary.

Beyond 2021-22...Eichel with any moderate level of retention is probably better than Strome at whatever his next deal is. Also sets a logical ceiling for where Zibajenad lands on his next deal. You get Eichel at 8 and Zib at 8, you can add grit on the wings, in the bottom 6, and on the back-end and accomplish the same goals.

All about the price, and at the rumored asking price it's hard to say no, especially if Buffalo retains salary.

Beyond 2021-22...Eichel with any moderate level of retention is probably better than Strome at whatever his next deal is. Also sets a logical ceiling for where Zibajenad lands on his next deal. You get Eichel at 8 and Zib at 8, you can add grit on the wings, in the bottom 6, and on the back-end and accomplish the same goals.

Sorry I missed it, what is the rumored price in prospects/talent?

Lmao.

Not considering salary, 100% undoubtedly yes. From a value perspective that gets more debatable depending on the contract (i.e., Strome at 6.5 vs Zibanejad at 9.5).

Sorry I missed it, what is the rumored price in prospects/talent?

We know Columbus backed off this one:

5th overall

Merzlikins

One of Marchenko or Chinakov

One of Peeke/Texier

Our equivalent would be probably be something like the 15th overall, Georgiev, Kravtsov/Jones, Roberston/Chytil