• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

All about the price, and at the rumored asking price it's hard to say no, especially if Buffalo retains salary.

Beyond 2021-22...Eichel with any moderate level of retention is probably better than Strome at whatever his next deal is. Also sets a logical ceiling for where Zibajenad lands on his next deal. You get Eichel at 8 and Zib at 8, you can add grit on the wings, in the bottom 6, and on the back-end and accomplish the same goals.

But what do they gain in swapping Eichel for Strome or Zibanejad? The production isn't there to justify it. Being a winner isn't part of the equation, because, well you know...

We have guys that do what he does at a lower salary. We also already have them. Why trade the assets?

Is it the allure of him being a former 2nd overall pick behind McDavid?

He's really not an upgrade. Slight edge over Strome I guess, but how much can Panarin improve with Eichel instead of Strome? How much can KZB improve with Eichel instead of Zibanejad?

I understand the aspect of a deal that's hard to refuse. He's GOING to be traded at a discount. But to me, it doesn't make the team any better or any different. I think you have to pass on this sale. I think no matter what they do, they will somehow regret it.

Give more and get Tkachuk if he's available. Getting him justifies the assets being moved, as well as potentially having to walk away from Zibanejad or Strome in a year. If you're going to make a change, make a change .

• Like 1

But what do they gain in swapping Eichel for Strome or Zibanejad? The production isn't there to justify it. Being a winner isn't part of the equation, because, well you know...

We have guys that do what he does at a lower salary. We also already have them. Why trade the assets?

Is it the allure of him being a former 2nd overall pick behind McDavid?

He's really not an upgrade. Slight edge over Strome I guess, but how much can Panarin improve with Eichel instead of Strome? How much can KZB improve with Eichel instead of Zibanejad?

I understand the aspect of a deal that's hard to refuse. He's GOING to be traded at a discount. But to me, it doesn't make the team any better or any different. I think you have to pass on this sale. I think no matter what they do, they will somehow regret it.

Give more and get Tkachuk if he's available. Getting him justifies the assets being moved, as well as potentially having to walk away from Zibanejad or Strome in a year. If you're going to make a change, make a change .

It's not really an apples to apples thing because of salary cap implications. Strome won't cost 4.5m after next season. Zibanejad won't cost 5.5. Both stand to earn raises. Eichel doesn't massively improve on Strome as things stand (though let's be honest, Panarin and Kakko would be the best wings he's literally ever played with, so who knows how far that goes) or Zibanejad (ditto Lafreniere/Kreider/Buchnevich).

The question is probably more "Do you want Strome at 5 years, 35m taking him to 33 or Eichel at 4 more years and (assuming salary retention) 8m taking him to 29? That feels quite straightforward to me - I'm probably getting 4 better years from Eichel there at a better rate.

The other side of this is the reality that the sort of center you want to get here is almost never actually for trade. Tkachuks are nice, but they're wings. That's a whole other set of considerations. There really isn't a Ryan Getzlaf at 25 out there on the trade market or bluntly, much of anywhere in the NHL these days. Short of STL blowing it up and dealing O'Reilly, or lucking into a draft pick, I don't see how that guy comes up.

I'd also use Tampa as a bit of a prototype here - their centers are all smaller by NHL standards (especially Point and Gourde), all have a bit of a chip on their shoulders, all play hard both ways.

• Like 1

My main issue with Eichel is the surgery he is going to get and what kind of player he will be afterward. No NHL player has had this kind of surgery.

According to Larry he may not be getting it. He's been inactive since the end of the season and now they're reassessing. If he does get it, it's a 3 month recovery. So I imagine a team would want to make that trade ASAP so they can assess and still have him there for camp.

My main issue with Eichel is the surgery he is going to get and what kind of player he will be afterward. No NHL player has had this kind of surgery.

Speaking from the standpoint of one who has multiple herniated discs and has researched and kept up with all of the treatments, I can say that this replacement that Eichel seems to want is not common and the outcome not predictable. Herniated discs are funny things. Some people carry on with only minor inconvenience. For others, they are absolutely debilitating. One thing is for sure, they are not like knee injuries where you have surgery, go through painful rehab, and are essentially better. Upshot of all of this: pass on Eichel.

It's not really an apples to apples thing because of salary cap implications. Strome won't cost 4.5m after next season. Zibanejad won't cost 5.5. Both stand to earn raises. Eichel doesn't massively improve on Strome as things stand (though let's be honest, Panarin and Kakko would be the best wings he's literally ever played with, so who knows how far that goes) or Zibanejad (ditto Lafreniere/Kreider/Buchnevich).

The question is probably more "Do you want Strome at 5 years, 35m taking him to 33 or Eichel at 4 more years and (assuming salary retention) 8m taking him to 29? That feels quite straightforward to me - I'm probably getting 4 better years from Eichel there at a better rate.

The other side of this is the reality that the sort of center you want to get here is almost never actually for trade. Tkachuks are nice, but they're wings. That's a whole other set of considerations. There really isn't a Ryan Getzlaf at 25 out there on the trade market or bluntly, much of anywhere in the NHL these days. Short of STL blowing it up and dealing O'Reilly, or lucking into a draft pick, I don't see how that guy comes up.

I'd also use Tampa as a bit of a prototype here - their centers are all smaller by NHL standards (especially Point and Gourde), all have a bit of a chip on their shoulders, all play hard both ways.

Great post G1

Speaking from the standpoint of one who has multiple herniated discs and has researched and kept up with all of the treatments, I can say that this replacement that Eichel seems to want is not common and the outcome not predictable. Herniated discs are funny things. Some people carry on with only minor inconvenience. For others, they are absolutely debilitating. One thing is for sure, they are not like knee injuries where you have surgery, go through painful rehab, and are essentially better. Upshot of all of this: pass on Eichel.

A good friend of mine just had a disc replacement in his lower back about 6 months ago. Recovery has been good but he still has some lingering pain and symptoms that he will probably have the rest of his life. A fusion of the neck will severely limit Eichels ability to play considering the loss of rotation (My father had a neck fusion). The replacement is the other option and is a gamble which could be successful but to think it will bring him back to injury free with no lingering symptoms is a pipe dream. Hope the guy gets better and hope he can continue his career, just not as a Ranger

I was just LOL'ing at a Sabres twitter account (obviously not the official one, but a Sabres rumour/fan account) suggesting that Laf, Shesty, Kreider, and our first rounder isn't enough because our 1st isnt top 10, and 15 is too low of a pick.

1st of all, imagine poo-pooing a huge deal because of 5 spots in the draft, when you are already getting that big of a package

2nd of all, holy shit if thats the asking price, Drury needs to counter with offering Kevin Rooney, Brett howden and a 7th, since we're playing jokes on eachother

I was just LOL'ing at a Sabres twitter account (obviously not the official one, but a Sabres rumour/fan account) suggesting that Laf, Shesty, Kreider, and our first rounder isn't enough because our 1st isnt top 10, and 15 is too low of a pick.

1st of all, imagine poo-pooing a huge deal because of 5 spots in the draft, when you are already getting that big of a package

2nd of all, holy shit if thats the asking price, Drury needs to counter with offering Kevin Rooney, Brett howden and a 7th, since we're playing jokes on eachother

I saw that. The funny thing about it was I wouldn't deal Laf or Shesty straight up for Eichel

I just assumed it was over the top sarcasm about needing a top 10 pick specifically

Lindross, LaFontaine, Eichel.

How quickly memories fade. Obviously different injuries but the same old story. SAY NO TO LINGERING INJURIES!

When the rangers traded for messier there were concerns about his knee injury and he had also demanded a trade out of Edmonton.

When the rangers traded for messier there were concerns about his knee injury and he had also demanded a trade out of Edmonton.

Also Lindros and Lafontaine trades were minimal, we didn’t really give up much for either. However, I feel this one will take a lot more than I’m willing to part with for the risk

Also Lindros and Lafontaine trades were minimal, we didn’t really give up much for either. However, I feel this one will take a lot more than I’m willing to part with for the risk

there's no doubt to me that Eichel makes this team better. Hell, I think adding him makes us an immediate contender.

With that said, he's got to be healthy. And the price can't be what Sabres fans seem to think they should recieve.

No Kakko, No Shesty, No Laf

Strome, Georgiev, Jones and our 1st for Eichel. Fine

I'd also rather not lose Chytil but I'd be fine with it if absolutely necessary to get Eichel.

If I remember correctly though, Cappy....that "knee injury" was kinda....not really a knee injury....he wanted outta Edmonton so badly after they dealt Graves.

I also remember John Davidson being so pumped about getting Messier here, he was commenting during a broadcast how Dr. Bart Nisonson was said to have called Messier "quite a specimen" after his first Rangers team physical.

We also got Messier for basically nothing: Louie DeBrusk (Jake DeBrusk's dad), Bernie Nicholls, and Steven Rice. A far cry from the pending ransom that Buffalo is rumored to want for Eichel.

I think G man's post above really explains it very well. That post is pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned; This is really the crux of it in my opinion:

Other than that, I just don't see where we would need Eichel.

He's damaged goods in my opinion, and aside from all the grit factor specifications we've been talking about for incoming trade/UFA targets, which he doesn't posses, he just doesn't check enough boxes for what the Rangers can use going forward. I'd rather pay Zibby and Strome to do what they CAN do, than bring in Eichel who if he gets hit awkwardly enough, may just end his career.

Look what happened with Panarin; if that was Eichel, only god know what the result would've been.

The Rangers right now have no "insurance policy" for guys like Wilson. That's going to change, hopefully....but even if they add a Reaves, I'd be holding my breath every time a guy breaks wind out there, with Eichel on the ice.

Keep in mind I like Eichel as a player and I think he's a fantastic talent....I just don't think he's what we need for the Rangers. The Rangers, I think need a 3C, one rugged winger and a 4th liner who can play and drop the mitts. Other than that, I say tell the pussies over the off season to get in the gym, play tougher, and we could solve the grit issue with what we have already in house! But as far as Eichel....no way Jose! Not for all they're asking!

Best of luck in L.A.!!!

Little bit of revisionist history here, folks. Let's remind ourselves that some of the assets moved in these trades were very high value pieces at the time even if hindsight proved them wrong.

Pavel Brendl was a year off being a top 5 pick.

Jan Hlavac was coming off a 64 point season with us in his second year in the NHL.

Kim Johnsson was probably our second best defender at the time and would go on to be one of the highest scoring defenders of the next 5 seasons.

Bernie Nicholls was still a point per game player when healthy for 8 years after that Messier trade.

We didn't exactly trade nothing for these guys.

The idea of Strome, Georgiev, Jones, and a 1st is probably your upper limit here. MAYBE consider Kravtsov or Miller if there's good salary retention here, but yeah, there's a lot of question marks around Eichel's health and wellbeing that need answers before we feel good about going higher.

The idea of Strome, Georgiev, Jones, and a 1st is probably your upper limit here. MAYBE consider Kravtsov or Miller if there's good salary retention here, but yeah, there's a lot of question marks around Eichel's health and wellbeing that need answers before we feel good about going higher.

I think buffalo laughs at this the way we laugh at giving up laf shety and more..

I think it will take one of our top prospects (laf, kakko, krav, Lundqvist), probably a A2 prospect like chytil, jones, miller, our first this year + another pick and likely a roster player such as buch or strome. And I am sure they are asking for more to get the talks started.

I am not willing to pay that for... eichel. Sorry I still dont see why we need another #1C. Once you sign Zib youre at round 25-30mil in 3 players. What happens when Kakko, Laf start putting up numbers and you need to re-sign them? He adds no toughness either. And he has a possible career altering injury.

If I am Drury I kick the tires on this.. first round pick, howden, jones, reunanen, gauthier, and georgiev and additional picks if they retain salary. If they say no I move on.

I think buffalo laughs at this the way we laugh at giving up laf shety and more..

I think it will take one of our top prospects (laf, kakko, krav, Lundqvist), probably a A2 prospect like chytil, jones, miller, our first this year + another pick and likely a roster player such as buch or strome. And I am sure they are asking for more to get the talks started.

I am not willing to pay that for... eichel. Sorry I still dont see why we need another #1C. Once you sign Zib youre at round 25-30mil in 3 players. What happens when Kakko, Laf start putting up numbers and you need to re-sign them? He adds no toughness either. And he has a possible career altering injury.

If I am Drury I kick the tires on this.. first round pick, howden, jones, reunanen, gauthier, and georgiev and additional picks if they retain salary. If they say no I move on.

Maybe they do, but the truth of the matter is that Buffalo's overplayed its hand at this point. The relationship is publicly stressed. Eichel is publicly upset. His injury issues are out there, known, and risky. They've just shit the bed this season again for their third 1st overall in 6 years - and it's gotten bad enough that this guy is legit threatening to stay in school instead of going to the NHL.

I keep coming back to the deal that the Jackets backed off as reason to believe the price isn't as high as we think (5th overall, Merzlikins, one of Chinakov/Marchenko, one of Peeke/Texier). If the price is 1st rounder, possible starter goalie, a top 6 level prospect, and a mid-six roster player - that's reasonable for us to engage with.

I'm kind of wondering if Drury might be feeling some pressure to do something "big", like getting Eichel, to put his stamp on the team. Right now, if he makes minimal changes and the Rangers take another step forward, the conversation won't be what a job Drury has done. It will be how fortunate he was to get handed the franchise without needing to do much of anything to be successful. He will get next to zero credit, because he wouldn't have earned it. Firing Quinn and replacing him with Gallant was a no brainer, obvious move. There's no credit for that. Signing a couple of bottom 6ers isn't going to get him much recognition. What will get him recognition? Making a big splash, if it works. If he doesn't, and the Rangers are successful, the tone will always be that the heavy lifting was done for Drury.

I'm kind of wondering if Drury might be feeling some pressure to do something "big", like getting Eichel, to put his stamp on the team. Right now, if he makes minimal changes and the Rangers take another step forward, the conversation won't be what a job Drury has done. It will be how fortunate he was to get handed the franchise without needing to do much of anything to be successful. He will get next to zero credit, because he wouldn't have earned it. Firing Quinn and replacing him with Gallant was a no brainer, obvious move. There's no credit for that. Signing a couple of bottom 6ers isn't going to get him much recognition. What will get him recognition? Making a big splash, if it works. If he doesn't, and the Rangers are successful, the tone will always be that the heavy lifting was done for Drury.
I highly doubt that. Firstly that would require a much larger ego than we've ever seen from Drury.

Secondly it's already widely known how integral he's been to this team which is why he was so highly sought after.

The league knows who the up-and-comers are, Drury is already highly regarded.

Exactly. It’s not like Drury was brought in and inherited all of this. He was a part of making this team.

What our holes are are what our holes are. They exist primarily in the bottom-6. If he can get that fixed, then that along with bringing in what many believe is the right coach in Gallant, will draw him tremendous praise IMO.

Sometimes, it can be harder to find the right role players than it is to find the right star players. If he can get this right, and it is a lot of work, then he’ll be held in high regard.

As with the Gretzky trade to LA, there was big time money in the Messier trade, the amount of which was never disclosed. Nichols was two years removed from a 70 goal season and was no chump. We gave up quite a lot for Lindros considering that he was coming off a full year missed due to his umpteenth concussion. The trade turned out as a wash, with Lindros ineffective after yet another originally undiagnosed concussion 50 games in and Johnsson the only piece that was useful to Philly. If Lindros had switched to the style of play that he employed during those first 50 odd games with the Rangers earlier, he would have had a much longer and better career.

Buffalo's management, unlike its fans, is going to get schooled on what a realistic return for Eichel is and will back off its demands accordingly. The fans will erupt at the eventual trade terms.

Personally, given that I wouldn't sign Eichel for 5 years at $10m per as a UFA at the moment, I wouldn't take him off of waivers.

As with the Gretzky trade to LA, there was big time money in the Messier trade, the amount of which was never disclosed. Nichols was two years removed from a 70 goal season and was no chump. We gave up quite a lot for Lindros considering that he was coming off a full year missed due to his umpteenth concussion. The trade turned out as a wash, with Lindros ineffective after yet another originally undiagnosed concussion 50 games in and Johnsson the only piece that was useful to Philly. If Lindros had switched to the style of play that he employed during those first 50 odd games with the Rangers earlier, he would have had a much longer and better career.

Buffalo's management, unlike its fans, is going to get schooled on what a realistic return for Eichel is and will back off its demands accordingly. The fans will erupt at the eventual trade terms.

Personally, given that I wouldn't sign Eichel for 5 years at $10m per as a UFA at the moment, I wouldn't take him off of waivers.

C'mon. We shouldn't pay out the nose for him, but that's a bit ridiculous.