• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I highly doubt that. Firstly that would require a much larger ego than we've ever seen from Drury.

Secondly it's already widely known how integral he's been to this team which is why he was so highly sought after.

The league knows who the up-and-comers are, Drury is already highly regarded.

Exactly. It’s not like Drury was brought in and inherited all of this. He was a part of making this team.

What our holes are are what our holes are. They exist primarily in the bottom-6. If he can get that fixed, then that along with bringing in what many believe is the right coach in Gallant, will draw him tremendous praise IMO.

Sometimes, it can be harder to find the right role players than it is to find the right star players. If he can get this right, and it is a lot of work, then he’ll be held in high regard.

Maybe you guys are right, but I still think if the Rangers are successful with minimal moves, the narrative will be the heavy lifting and foundation was not done by Drury and he inherited it rather than earned it. It will take away from any future legacy so to speak. Whether he cares or not, who knows, but I would agree he comes across as pretty selfless without much ego.

[/b]

C'mon. We shouldn't pay out the nose for him, but that's a bit ridiculous.

It's a reasonable thing to say if the injury is as bad as it sounds. Tying up 12% of the cap is a critical amount. It's not a reasonable thing to say if the injury is blown out of proportion.

We are hemming and hawing about paying Zibanejad something like that, and Zibanejad has been better than Eichel for two years now.

Maybe you guys are right, but I still think if the Rangers are successful with minimal moves, the narrative will be the heavy lifting and foundation was not done by Drury and he inherited it rather than earned it. It will take away from any future legacy so to speak. Whether he cares or not, who knows, but I would agree he comes across as pretty selfless without much ego.

There’s a flip side though too. Because if he goes that route and makes a move like that and relinquishes a young asset that we shouldn’t have to trade right now and it comes back to bite us in the ass, he looks very inexperienced and gives off the perception that he got taken to the cleaners on his first major trade.

any notion that Eichel doesn't help this team is ridiculous. He is an absolutely ELITE level talent. He's been hidden in Buffalo playing for a trash organization. There is not a shot that he doesn't immediately go to a team and make them a contender (or cup favorite, depending on where)

with that said, the only reason he makes a team a contender is when he adds to what's there. Not when you give up everything that is there to get him. You don't get 'fair' value for a player this good/expensive, cap wise.

Chytil, Jones, Georgiev + a mid-level prospect, and our 1st this year and maybe a conditional pick next year (2nd, turns into a first if we go to ECF or something like that)

Eichel + 1-2 minor league contracts to offset.

I think that's basically the best we could ever offer Buffalo. and I don't know any other team that would be able to offer them much more than that

There’s a flip side though too. Because if he goes that route and makes a move like that and relinquishes a young asset that we shouldn’t have to trade right now and it comes back to bite us in the ass, he looks very inexperienced and gives off the perception that he got taken to the cleaners on his first major trade.

Absolutely. It's a tough spot. He can ruin it and take all the blame. He could sit on his hands and let things go with minimal change, like quite a few people would like, but if that doesn't work we will be saying he didn't do anything. He could sit on his hands, and if it does work, the best he might get is "Drury showed good patience, but he inherited the house mostly built. All he did was paint the spare bedroom a different color". It's really quite a tough spot. Not to mention, Dolan breathing down his neck.

It's a reasonable thing to say if the injury is as bad as it sounds. Tying up 12% of the cap is a critical amount. It's not a reasonable thing to say if the injury is blown out of proportion.

We are hemming and hawing about paying Zibanejad something like that, and Zibanejad has been better than Eichel for two years now.

Nah dude. There's a Mariana Trench level difference between "I wouldn't give up four top players for him if he's hurt" and "I wouldn't take the guy for free". If the injury is worrisome, sure, but even then you're on LTIR with no cap impact.

Absolutely. It's a tough spot. He can ruin it and take all the blame. He could sit on his hands and let things go with minimal change, like quite a few people would like, but if that doesn't work we will be saying he didn't do anything. He could sit on his hands, and if it does work, the best he might get is "Drury showed good patience, but he inherited the house mostly built. All he did was paint the spare bedroom a different color". It's really quite a tough spot. Not to mention, Dolan breathing down his neck.

I doubt Julien Brisebois cares about that perception, and he should absolutely have it too if that's the worry.

Drury was ALWAYS a "whatever it takes to win" sort of guy - I have to imagine he gives two shits about the perceptions so long as the moves work.

Nah dude. There's a Mariana Trench level difference between "I wouldn't give up four top players for him if he's hurt" and "I wouldn't take the guy for free". If the injury is worrisome, sure, but even then you're on LTIR with no cap impact.

It's not for free. It's for 12% of the cap. The same argument applies to any high priced free agent that has come about for the Rangers. It generally hadn't worked, which is why there were detractors about signing Panarin. It really wouldn't be any different than any other high priced FA in the past, especially given the injury. If he were healthy, I would still be beating the "get him at just about any cost" drum though.

It's not for free. It's for 12% of the cap. The same argument applies to any high priced free agent that has come about for the Rangers. It generally hadn't worked, which is why there were detractors about signing Panarin. It really wouldn't be any different than any other high priced FA in the past, especially given the injury. If he were healthy, I would still be beating the "get him at just about any cost" drum though.

It's absolutely free if you claim the dude off waivers and he goes to IR. How much did Nikita Kucherov cost against the cap this year when he was hurt?

[/b]

C'mon. We shouldn't pay out the nose for him, but that's a bit ridiculous.

A major UFA hits the market place. He has an unresolved injury and is asking $10m per long term. We decide not to bid on him. Ridiculous?

A major UFA hits the market place. He has an unresolved injury and is asking $10m per long term. We decide not to bid on him. Ridiculous?

Not "a major UFA" - a top tier C at a position of need with reasonable expectations that once healthy they have five plus years of prime level production left?

Yeah, it'd be absolutely ridiculous if we didn't bid. Completely insane, even, because injured players are generally paid by insurance and don't hit the cap number.

To me, a potential Eichel trade all comes down to salary retention on Buffalo's part.

While taking on a 10 million cap hit will not affect the Rangers if Eichel is on perpetual IR, it will complicate big raises that are inevitably going to be owed to Fox, Zib, Laf, etc...... That risk is simply not worth some of the sh!tty offers I have seen others propose here(Howden, Gauthier, Hajek, etc....).

Now if you are talking about 50% salary retained, which is what Buffalo just may need to do to save face in getting a reasonable return. The average Sabres fan is not going to grasp that management traded the franchise player for a bucket of mediocre players and draft picks. At 4 years left on it that 50% retention is digest-able for Buffalo, it could get a return like:

Strome or Chytil

Buchnevich or Chytil

Zac Jones or Matthew Robertson

Georgiev

2021 1st rounder

If I am Drury I would do that deal in a NY minute, if it meant potentially having Eichel's hopefully healthy production slotted in at 2C.

Go ahead poke holes in that trade proposal; I dare you to!

• Like 1

To me, a potential Eichel trade all comes down to salary retention on Buffalo's part.

While taking on a 10 million cap hit will not affect the Rangers if Eichel is on perpetual IR, it will complicate big raises that are inevitably going to be owed to Fox, Zib, Laf, etc...... That risk is simply not worth some of the sh!tty offers I have seen others propose here(Howden, Gauthier, Hajek, etc....).

Now if you are talking about 50% salary retained, which is what Buffalo just may need to do to save face in getting a reasonable return. The average Sabres fan is not going to grasp that management traded the franchise player for a bucket of mediocre players and draft picks. At 4 years left on it that 50% retention is digest-able for Buffalo, it could get a return like:

Strome or Chytil

Buchnevich or Chytil

Georgiev

2021 1st rounder

If I am Drury I would do that deal in a NY minute, if it meant potentially having Eichel's hopefully healthy production slotted in at 2C.

Go ahead poke holes in that trade proposal; I dare you to!

My guess is an actual Eichel trade will look an awful lot like this.

I would strongly consider trading Chytil, Buchnevich, Jones, Georgiev and this year's first for Eichel if Buffalo was to retain 50% salary, but I don't see them retaining that much of his salary.

Probably not; but OK let's say they can only retain 2.5 million?

Here is my new deal if I am Chris Drury:

Strome or Chytil

2021 1st rounder

Even though like Al, I hate the idea of losing Robertson too; but this is the NHL, you have to give to get. I am taking that gamble all day long even with the assumption that Eichel needs 2021-22 to recover from surgery.

Probably not; but OK let's say they can only retain 2.5 million?

Here is my new deal if I am Chris Drury:

Strome or Chytil

2021 1st rounder

Even though like Al, I hate the idea of losing Robertson too; but this is the NHL, you have to give to get. I am taking that gamble all day long even with the assumption that Eichel needs 2021-22 to recover from surgery.

I don't think that deal works salary cap wise.

Plus I'm only interested if getting Eichel if it means Strome is the 3rd line center.

Today, both John Vogl of The Athletic and John Warrow from the AP got Eichel’s agent to go on record. “We are communicating with the team and are heading towards a resolution,” agent Peter Fish replied. With the NHL Draft just weeks away, a trade is imminent. https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-roundup-blueshirts-back-in-jack-eichel-mix-adam-fox-on-winning-the-norris-trophy-and-more/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk