• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draft Day Deals — Let's Hear 'Em

jsm7302

Chances of them trading the pick are less than 1% probably.

And if they keep the pick, which isn’t really an if, they take LaFreniere

Only way they took someone else is if they trade it. They’re not going to keep the pick and select someone else when they can do that by trading it and at the same time acquire other assets in that trade.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances of them trading the pick are less than 1% probably.

And if they keep the pick, which isn’t really an if, they take LaFreniere

Only way they took someone else is if they trade it. They’re not going to keep the pick and select someone else when they can do that by trading it and at the same time acquire other assets in that trade.

I agree they will not attempt to look like idiots and pick somebody other than Laf at #1, but the chance of them trading down to #2 or #3 is not less than 1%.

I agree they will not attempt to look like idiots and pick somebody other than Laf at #1, but the chance of them trading down to #2 or #3 is not less than 1%.

I tend to disagree, but I’ll indulge you on that, yet counter by saying it’s no better than a 1-2% chance of that happening

Given the article yesterday regarding what Melnyk said regarding the Sens keeping their 2 picks in the top 5, I dot see Ottawa as a viable trade partner.

I won’t repost it as it’s already up elsewhere, and obviously the draft is still 7 1/2 weeks away and things can change, but I’m inclined to think they won’t move off either of those picks.

It’s too good of a class to pass up 2 picks that high. They really need to make both selections and given how cheap Melnyk is, the appeal of those 2 guys being cheap and cost controlled is too high.

The Kings are really the only viable option, IMO, because I don’t think the Rangers would want to move outside of the top-3. If they were to trade the pick, it HAS to put them in a spot where they’d end up with Byfield or Stutzle.

Given the article yesterday regarding what Melnyk said regarding the Sens keeping their 2 picks in the top 5, I dot see Ottawa as a viable trade partner.

I won’t repost it as it’s already up elsewhere, and obviously the draft is still 7 1/2 weeks away and things can change, but I’m inclined to think they won’t move off either of those picks.

It’s too good of a class to pass up 2 picks that high. They really need to make both selections and given how cheap Melnyk is, the appeal of those 2 guys being cheap and cost controlled is too high.

The Kings are really the only viable option, IMO, because I don’t think the Rangers would want to move outside of the top-3. If they were to trade the pick, it HAS to put them in a spot where they’d end up with Byfield or Stutzle.

Melnyk said they will not do 3+5 for 1. They might do a 3 + picks and prospects.

No they won't. Yet another post where you're wishing things into reality and frankly just being contrarian.

just being politically correct.

Agree with Pete.

Ottawa simply needs both those picks. Can’t pass up the opportunity that it gives them.

LA would be only option. Rangers won’t trade out of the top-3 in the very low-percentage chance they trade the pick at all. As stated, they’d still have to end up with Byfield or Stutzle, and neither of those guys will be there at 4 or below.

Melnyk said they will not do 3+5 for 1. They might do a 3 + picks and prospects.

Why would we want that? We have prospects. We have the 1st overall that is head and shoulders above the pack. What is it that makes it so difficult for you to want the 1st overall pick? Lol

No, he said they would be sticking with what they have. Which means they won't be trading any of it. This is getting really annoying dude. We're drafting Laf, why don't you just focus on talking about him as a player or other types of trades. We aren't trading Laf. He's a Ranger.

• Like 1

No, he said they would be sticking with what they have. Which means they won't be trading any of it. This is getting really annoying dude. We're drafting Laf, why don't you just focus on talking about him as a player or other types of trades. We aren't trading Laf. He's a Ranger.

I just have a bad feeling that 5 years from now or even sooner it will be apparent that Lafreniere was not the best player in this draft. If Byfield is the next Malkin or Joe Thornton then we made a big mistake by not trading down.

I just have a bad feeling that 5 years from now or even sooner it will be apparent that Lafreniere was not the best player in this draft. If Byfield is the next Malkin or Joe Thornton then we made a big mistake by not trading down.

The hype on Byfield is literally that he's a year younger, he's huge, and that he MIGHT be able to do what Lafreniere did this season. Note that third bit - Lafreniere did it already. Byfield might.

So why are we trading a more known commodity for an unknown commodity? That's the kind of crap that keeps teams like the Senators in the basement.

The hype on Byfield is literally that he's a year younger, he's huge, and that he MIGHT be able to do what Lafreniere did this season. Note that third bit - Lafreniere did it already. Byfield might.

So why are we trading a more known commodity for an unknown commodity? That's the kind of crap that keeps teams like the Senators in the basement.

Byfield's production translated from better OHL to crappier QMJHL probably is equal if not better and considering he is 10 month younger he is possibly if not likely going to be better. Then also consider size difference and center position which is exactly what we need.

Byfield's production translated from better OHL to crappier QMJHL probably is equal if not better and considering he is 10 month younger he is possibly if not likely going to be better.

That's just not true. The article that Pete cited earlier, that you dismissed, even proved that. Lafreniere's NHLe, which accounts exactly for that "translation," ranks Lafreniere ahead of Byfield. You're straight up making things up now.

The Senators coming out and saying they wouldn't trade #3 and #5 for Lafreniere, and that it is nonsensical, is what keeps teams like the Senators in the basement.

The Senators coming out and saying they wouldn't trade #3 and #5 for Lafreniere, and that it is nonsensical, is what keeps teams like the Senators in the basement.

How? They need bodies. Lafreniere by himself isn't going to bring him out of the gutter. They missed out on a top pick last year. They could use two this season. Trading all of their assets for Lafreniere just makes them an even shittier Sabres.

That's just not true. The article that Pete cited earlier, that you dismissed, even proved that. Lafreniere's NHLe, which accounts exactly for that "translation," ranks Lafreniere ahead of Byfield. You're straight up making things up now.

I just ran the numbers there Byfield projected at 48 NHL points, while Lafreniere is 50 NHL points, that is basically same thing. thank you for proving my point.

How? They need bodies. Lafreniere by himself isn't going to bring him out of the gutter. They missed out on a top pick last year. They could use two this season. Trading all of their assets for Lafreniere just makes them an even shittier Sabres.

It can't be both ways. Either Lafreniere is that good that you can build a franchise around him, or two bodies is worth more than him. And two picks is not all of their assets. It's two.

It can't be both ways. Either Lafreniere is that good that you can build a franchise around him, or two bodies is worth more than him. And two picks is not all of their assets. It's two.

And I refer you back to Buffalo. How good is having an elite player without a supporting cast? It's already been established that he's likely an elite talent, not a generational one. If McDavid, an undeniable generational talent, can't power Edmonton to success than how is Lafreniere expected to for Ottawa? Especially when he has no supporting cast around him. Hockey isn't a one-player sport. Ottawa has nothing. They just need to fill the cupboards and they can afford the risk and development time. The Rangers can't.

And I refer you back to Buffalo. How good is having an elite player without a supporting cast? It's already been established that he's likely an elite talent, not a generational one. If McDavid, an undeniable generational talent, can't power Edmonton to success than how is Lafreniere expected to for Ottawa? Especially when he has no supporting cast around him. Hockey isn't a one-player sport. Ottawa has nothing. They just need to fill the cupboards and they can afford the risk and development time. The Rangers can't.

Ottawa has Tkachuk and Chabot and at least a top 10 farm system right now. Trading 3 and 5 for Laf would be a no brainer on their end.