• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draft Day Deals — Let's Hear 'Em

jsm7302

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly do not make any deals. Stay the course. This team is shaping up to be dominant in the years to come.

I am open to possible trades involving Lias, Trouba, Strome, Gauthier and DiGiuseppe.

Maybe I misunderstood the thread. I am not sure why I assumed this thread was just based on deals for the #1OA. If we're talking any deals at all on draft day then yes there are a lot of players I would be fine with moving.

So we want to trade a can't miss, leader, elite talent because we need to address the SECOND LINE center? Really? Hell we can resign Strome to a bridge and still have pieces like ADA, our other 1st, Georgiev, Kravtsov if need be if we feel we are THAT close.

Yeah

The speculation is fine and all, but speculation about trading the pick to fill the need at 2C is to me ridiculous.

While I’ll certainly acknowledge that good centermen are hard to find and generally expensive to acquire, they literally have SO MANY ASSETS to deal from to go out and get the player they want to fill that roster void. They can even roll with Strome on a 1 year deal and go get their guy next deadline or in the summer of 2021. And they’re not tied to whatever is available in a FA class at a position. There’s absolutely no rush to do it. They aren’t just that 1 player away.

Ouch. Ok...lets play. Who else is going the other way? Surely it's not going to be #1OA straight up for McDavid. While LaFreniere is supposed to be a superstar talent I believe he is not scouted as "generational talent" as McDavid is. Maybe a tier below, Matthews/Laine type? McDavid gives us our 1C which makes Zib a great 1-2 punch as the 2C...barring him not going back in the trade. Now we have a 23yo $12.5M generational superstar 1C and a 27yo (probable soon to be)$10M superstar 2C to go along with our 28yo $11+M superstar winger. Hello Toronto south. Idk, I just don't see it happening. Mika would most likely have to go the other way in the deal in which case we're trading McD's $12M for Mika's eventual $10-11M. I'd say we win that trade for sure. EDM obviously wins the trade between #1OA and #14OA. So, again, what else is going the other way for McDavid?

The point of my post was just to show that there is a price for the #1 for all of us, even if that price is McDavid.

We have something of considerable worth. It's only human nature to try and assign a value on it. I think the chances of getting an actual offer that moves the needle for me are slim, but it doesn't mean that there isn't an offer that could. So it's fun to speculate and something to talk about.

I'd be hard pressed to turn down that hypothetical Ottawa offer I made earlier.

You wouldn’t be receptive to some other deal, with existing roster pieces and that other 1st, to acquire a 2C or maybe a LD?

Definitely not. This kid is that good, especially for D of any kind. A 2 center makes such little sense when they have a 2c already they can keep short term. This is a franchise player. They have enough pieces to replace a Strome for an improvement without giving up a franchise player. For D, they could use complimentary pieces to who they have, not an impact player worth trading an 18 year old elite franchise player.

Definitely not. This kid is that good, especially for D of any kind. A 2 center makes such little sense when they have a 2c already they can keep short term. This is a franchise player. They have enough pieces to replace a Strome for an improvement without giving up a franchise player. For D, they could use complimentary pieces to who they have, not an impact player worth trading an 18 year old elite franchise player.

I should have clarified more.

My fault.

When I said another deal, I IN NO WAY MEANT THEY SHOULD TRADE 1st OVERALL PICK

That’s why I said “existing roster pieces and that other 1st.”

I’m 100% in the mind frame that they HAVE to pick LaFreniere.

They can go through the process of interviewing and checking out all the top prospects. They can listen to any offers they might get.

But in the end, just take the kid.

Let’s be honest, the community of NHL GM’s and front office people is a small community. The reason these guys always listen when another in their group calls them is in part because you have to in order to stay on decent terms with one another. You never know who you might want something from.

I should have clarified more.

My fault.

When I said another deal, I IN NO WAY MEANT THEY SHOULD TRADE 1st OVERALL PICK

That’s why I said “existing roster pieces and that other 1st.”

I’m 100% in the mind frame that they HAVE to pick LaFreniere.

They can go through the process of interviewing and checking out all the top prospects. They can listen to any offers they might get.

But in the end, just take the kid.

Let’s be honest, the community of NHL GM’s and front office people is a small community. The reason these guys always listen when another in their group calls them is in part because you have to in order to stay on decent terms with one another. You never know who you might want something from.

I hear you. I remembered you saying you wouldn’t trade the 1st so my repose was more general , not toward you.

I’ll just say it here. Our management is not trading the 1st pick. Not this year with Laf being what he is. It’s career suicide to do so. No GM wants to be “ that guy” labeled cas the GM that passes up on a cant miss. It’s the same reason the Devils didn’t pass on Hughes even though Kakko is bigger, stronger, more “NHL ready.” If they passed on Hughes and he lit it up, you might as well kiss your reputation goodbye in my opinion. If you pick that consensus guy and it doesn’t work, it is what it is. If you pass up on him though and he’s a HOFer, well then you’re Dick. No one wants to be Dick.

Exactly. You take the star player, you take the best player. Every time. The Blazers took Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they already had a good player at Jordan's position. Laf is not Jordan, but it's the same principal. Don't let position need cause you to pass on a star for a better fit or you may regret it forever. This is why there is zero chance we do anything but draft Laf and it's why the 1st pick never actually ends up being traded. Nobody wants to be that guy. It won't happen and it's a waste to even discuss.

Also the fact that we have the amazing luck and fortune to end up with this pick and the amazing feeling and excitement that it brought and there are fans of this team talking about trading it away makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. This was incredible and it was a gift. You don't squander it. You take the franchise player and reap the benefits.

• Like 1

I hear you. I remembered you saying you wouldn’t trade the 1st so my repose was more general , not toward you.

I’ll just say it here. Our management is not trading the 1st pick. Not this year with Laf being what he is. It’s career suicide to do so. No GM wants to be “ that guy” labeled cas the GM that passes up on a cant miss. It’s the same reason the Devils didn’t pass on Hughes even though Kakko is bigger, stronger, more “NHL ready.” If they passed on Hughes and he lit it up, you might as well kiss your reputation goodbye in my opinion. If you pick that consensus guy and it doesn’t work, it is what it is. If you pass up on him though and he’s a HOFer, well then you’re Dick. No one wants to be Dick.

You’re good.

I didn’t take it that way.

100% agree. And while you’re point is totally correct, I don’t even think it needs to go that deep.

He’s just too good to pass up.

I’m not making the comparison, but it’s the same 2-3 years of hype that guys like Tavares and McDavid had.

That doesn’t happen by accident

Exactly. You take the star player, you take the best player. Every time. The Blazers took Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they already had a good player at Jordan's position. Laf is not Jordan, but it's the same principal. Don't let position need cause you to pass on a star for a better fit or you may regret it forever. This is why there is zero chance we do anything but draft Laf and it's why the 1st pick never actually ends up being traded. Nobody wants to be that guy. It won't happen and it's a waste to even discuss.

Also the fact that we have the amazing luck and fortune to end up with this pick and the amazing feeling and excitement that it brought and there are fans of this team talking about trading it away makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. This was incredible and it was a gift. You don't squander it. You take the franchise player and reap the benefits.

Drafting for need is a dangerous game. BPA is best approach.

You?re good.

I didn?t take it that way.

100% agree. And while you?re point is totally correct, I don?t even think it needs to go that deep.

He?s just too good to pass up.

I?m not making the comparison, but it?s the same 2-3 years of hype that guys like Tavares and McDavid had.

That doesn?t happen by accident

I think Crosby, Mcdavid, and Tavares were the only three players in the CHL the last 15 years to do what Lafren did.

He?s a franchise player, no doubt about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think you’re trying to read too much between the lines. I’m saying I’m not trading the 1st overall and rather trade our other first round plus whatever to move up in the draft for a center.

I wasn’t trying to cherry pick

Just didn’t understand exactly what you meant.

Here's an out of the box suggestion, given that we love trading with Arizona. Stepan has one year left on his contract and Arizona, as was its option as it traded for him before the NMC took effect, has terminated the NMC. I wouldn't take him without some some degree of retaining, but if Strome is going to cost $5m for one year, I'd prefer Stepan for that price for one year, as he is simply a better center. Arizona might take an unsigned Strome, and because he's only an RFA, they would be guaranteed of having him for a year (as they would with Stepan) and they would have a chance to sign him for longer. Strome is younger, but that hardly matters if we have concluded that we are not going to keep Strome for more than one year anyhow. Okay, you can jump down my throat now!

Here's an out of the box suggestion, given that we love trading with Arizona. Stepan has one year left on his contract and Arizona, as was its option as it traded for him before the NMC took effect, has terminated the NMC. I wouldn't take him without some some degree of retaining, but if Strome is going to cost $5m for one year, I'd prefer Stepan for that price for one year, as he is simply a better center. Arizona might take an unsigned Strome, and because he's only an RFA, they would be guaranteed of having him for a year (as they would with Stepan) and they would have a chance to sign him for longer. Strome is younger, but that hardly matters if we have concluded that we are not going to keep Strome for more than one year anyhow. Okay, you can jump down my throat now!

While I can’t say I agree, I understand the sentiment. Stephan is just too slow for a second line that would include anyone on our team. Strome would make more sense at a 1-2 year deal

Didn't Arizona trade away Strome's brother? We can trade Strome at the deadline or during the season. Don't think Stepan at this point is better than Strome.