• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draft Day Deals — Let's Hear 'Em

jsm7302

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a vague statement I've seen you make twice now so I decided to look into it. A cursory glance at Caprfriendly says that's unture, but why don't we take a deep dive?

Looking at the UFA goalies, I've narrowed down the starters and fringe starters. They are as follows (ages included): Aaron Dell (31), Anton Khudobin (34), Braden Holtby (30), Brian Elliott (35), Cam Talbot (32), Corey Crawford (35), Craig Anderson (39), Jacob Markstrom (30), Jimmy Howard (36), Mike Smith (38), Robin Lehner (28), Ryan Miller (39), and Thomas Greiss (34). Anderson, Miller and Smith all at 38+ are unlikely to be starters anywhere they go but I'll include them just because. I've also included Matt Murray (26), an RFA, who is likely Georgiev's only competition on the trade market.

You were vague as to what those "stats" are so I've decided to pick them. I looked at SV%, GSAA (Goals Saved Against Average), and HDSV% (High Danger Save Percentage) over the last three seasons and just this season alone.

Let's look at the cumulative stats over the last three seasons:

3Yr.png

Georgiev ranks 6th in SV%, 6th in GSAA, and 3rd in HDSV%. There are only 15 total goaltenders included in the data and Georgiev is nowhere near the back.

Let's look at just this season alone then:

1-Yr.png

Georgiev ranks 7th in SV%, 7th in GSAA, and 5th in HDSV%. Yet again nowhere near the back.

If anything, Georgiev compares quite favorably to his UFA competition especially when you account for him being the youngest, 24, and the only option with RFA years remaining.

So "20th among free agent goalies this summer" is just nowhere near being right. It's fiction.

Thank you.

I don't really care, he is better than his stats, we were not good defensively or had a good defensive system. It will mean we can also re-sign him for less than if he had better stats.

So why would you worry about Georgiev when you have Vezina Trophy winner Lundqvist and future Hart Memorial Trophy winner Shesterkin both signed.

he cherry picked players.

But, proved the point showing we arent losing anything special if Georgiev leaves.

What players do you think Georgiev should be compared with when looking at available goaltenders that might be considered by teams?

I been wanting Vezina winner gone for a while now.

I don't really care, he is better than his stats, we were not good defensively or had a good defensive system. It will mean we can also re-sign him for less than if he had better stats.

What players do you think Georgiev should be compared with when looking at available goaltenders that might be considered by teams?

Available goaltenders.

If I'm looking for a backup, I'd probably take a guy with some experience, that I dont have to trade for, that will be affordable.

If I'm looking for a starter, I'm looking for some proven track record, and someone who has shown they can be a starter.

he cherry picked players.

But, proved the point showing we arent losing anything special if Georgiev leaves.

I cherry picked? Lol. Why not back up your point? Or can you not.

Let's do that cursory glance at Capfriendly since you claim I'm cherry picking. Here's both RFA and UFA goalies this offseason on Capfriendly ranked by SV%. Georgiev is 12th and that's already not accounting for sample sizes. That's the top 20. There are goalies I "cherry picked" that aren't even on there.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-21-at-11-25-17-AM.png

But let's do another look because apparently I "cherry picked." Let's look at the last two seasons, all of the same goalies and all of the same stats, where Georgiev compares even more with GP. I'll even include GP this time.

2Yr.png

Let's see. 11th in GP. Still 6th in SV%. Also still sixth in GSAA. And would you look at that, tied for third in HDSV%.

Guess you're just wrong.

I'll leave you with a song.

Available goaltenders.

If I'm looking for a backup, I'd probably take a guy with some experience, that I dont have to trade for, that will be affordable.

If I'm looking for a starter, I'm looking for some proven track record, and someone who has shown they can be a starter.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-21-at-11-49-50-AM.png

Look at all these pRoVEn TrACk ReCOrdS.

This is a vague statement I've seen you make twice now so I decided to look into it. A cursory glance at Caprfriendly says that's unture, but why don't we take a deep dive?

Looking at the UFA goalies, I've narrowed down the starters and fringe starters. They are as follows (ages included): Aaron Dell (31), Anton Khudobin (34), Braden Holtby (30), Brian Elliott (35), Cam Talbot (32), Corey Crawford (35), Craig Anderson (39), Jacob Markstrom (30), Jimmy Howard (36), Mike Smith (38), Robin Lehner (28), Ryan Miller (39), and Thomas Greiss (34). Anderson, Miller and Smith all at 38+ are unlikely to be starters anywhere they go but I'll include them just because. I've also included Matt Murray (26), an RFA, who is likely Georgiev's only competition on the trade market.

You were vague as to what those "stats" are so I've decided to pick them. I looked at SV%, GSAA (Goals Saved Against Average), and HDSV% (High Danger Save Percentage) over the last three seasons and just this season alone.

Let's look at the cumulative stats over the last three seasons:

3Yr.png

Georgiev ranks 6th in SV%, 6th in GSAA, and 3rd in HDSV%. There are only 15 total goaltenders included in the data and Georgiev is nowhere near the back.

Let's look at just this season alone then:

1-Yr.png

Georgiev ranks 7th in SV%, 7th in GSAA, and 5th in HDSV%. Yet again nowhere near the back.

If anything, Georgiev compares quite favorably to his UFA competition especially when you account for him being the youngest, 24, and the only option with RFA years remaining.

So "20th among free agent goalies this summer" is just nowhere near being right. It's fiction.

You have built a strong case to keep Georgiev for a couple of more seasons if there are no legitimate offers. Cutting bait on him otherwise for one more year out of Lundqvist is bad asset management, and leaves a gap if Shesterkin gets injured or needs a lighter workload as he adjusts to the rigors of a full NHL season. Top goalies get upwards of 60-70 games a year.

I see more of a 60/40 split for Shesty's first full year as he adjusts to the workload. Figure between 50-55 games. That leaves a significant chunk of games for the backup.

3rd string goalie level?

Oh sorry, 18th* among Free Agent goalies in 2020 for GAA. You got me!

Keep posting more stats, then trashing all the goalies in the list to try to prove... Georgiev is on another level...??

You have built a strong case to keep Georgiev for a couple of more seasons if there are no legitimate offers. Cutting bait on him otherwise for one more year out of Lundqvist is bad asset management, and leaves a gap if Shesterkin gets injured or needs a lighter workload as he adjusts to the rigors of a full NHL season. Top goalies get upwards of 60-70 games a year.

I see more of a 60/40 split for Shesty's first full year as he adjusts to the workload. Figure between 50-55 games. That leaves a significant chunk of games for the backup.

I don't know...I think if anything he's shown that there are goalies to be had on the market who are Geo level. There are every year.

If Shesterkin doesnt get injured, then its bad asset management Not trading him when he has value. A 60/40 split, he's still playing less games than he did this season.

3rd string goalie level?

Oh sorry, 18th* among Free Agent goalies in 2020 for GAA. You got me!

Keep posting more stats, then trashing all the goalies in the list to try to prove... Georgiev is on another level...??

Oh man. GAA! A stat that’s so great for context!

I’m not proving Georgiev is on another level. I’m proving you’re wrong and that he’s not “a third string goalie.”

But keep making weak arguments.