• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draft Day Deals — Let's Hear 'Em

jsm7302

Whatever label you use or whatever he truly is under those labels, be it Generational, Foundational, Elite, Franchise-changing, etc., the bottom line is that he is the best player in this draft class, by a good margin.

He?s one of the top-5 players in any and all draft classes over the last 10 years.

He?s been touted by consensus as that for 2-3 years approaching this draft, and deservedly so.

The hype isn?t hype with him. He?s the real deal. Maybe he?s not quite to Crosby/McDavid levels, but by all accounts he?s not far south of that. And you don?t need to see him play very much to see that. It?s beat you over the head obvious.

They?ve not had the opportunity to draft a player of this caliber basically ever.

They can?t pass that up.

Take LaFreniere. Make him your guy. Move forward.

This. I find it nonsensical that people wanna trade away this pick. Drafting LaFreniere makes Buchnevich expendable in my opinion. Package Buch and some other pieces to try to find that 2C. Whether those other pieces are other picks in this draft/following draft, a prospect, or another current roster player.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. I find it nonsensical that people wanna trade away this pick. Drafting LaFreniere makes Buchnevich expendable in my opinion. Package Buch and some other pieces to try to find that 2C. Whether those other pieces are other picks in this draft/following draft, a prospect, or another current roster player.

Well, most of the talk is just for talking’s sake. It’s an interesting topic that’s fun to talk and speculate about. And the media, whether it’s writers, radio/podcast hosts, or people with TV segments, have column inches and airtime to fill up. If they’re in a city where the team has been eliminated, they don’t have tons to talk about, so there’s that as a contributing factor too.

And I agree they absolutely have plenty from which to deal to acquire help in other areas like a 2C, bottom-6 depth, and on the left side of the D.

Well, most of the talk is just for talking’s sake. It’s an interesting topic that’s fun to talk and speculate about. And the media, whether it’s writers, radio/podcast hosts, or people with TV segments, have column inches and airtime to fill up. If they’re in a city where the team has been eliminated, they don’t have tons to talk about, so there’s that as a contributing factor too.

And I agree they absolutely have plenty from which to deal to acquire help in other areas like a 2C, bottom-6 depth, and on the left side of the D.

I agree 100%, its just talk. And you're right, it is fun to think about deals that could happen to make the deal worth it. But in reality, it just shouldn't happen.

Lafreniere is not guaranteed to be great. He might struggle, he might get injured.
What you're saying is logical.

By that logic we should never draft anyone because they might not be good or they might get hurt.

We should just trade those pics for players who never get hurt... Like Lindros, like Bure... Oh dear.

• Like 1

Lafreniere is not guaranteed to be great. He might struggle, he might get injured.

That’s true of any draft pick. In any spot in the draft. In any sport.

It’s just resoundingly less of a possibility with a pick that high, and a prospect of this kid’s status.

But yes, any pick can bust or fail to reach the ceiling he’s believed to possess. It’s just very much less likely.

I agree 100%, its just talk. And you're right, it is fun to think about deals that could happen to make the deal worth it. But in reality, it just shouldn't happen.

Everyone has a price. There is nothing wrong with speculating on what price it would hypothetically take to move you off the pick.

Nothing wrong with the talk and speculation at all. It’s certainly fun and interesting. And yes, every time has a price for anything.

The price though for that pick would be astronomically high and I don’t think anyone would be willing to meet it. And even then, it would still be at least a little riskier, depending on the return of course, to take the return over LaFreniere.

We can talk all we want till October 9th. But come that day, they’re almost certainly taking him

No. Even if you add their #5 pick, it still isn't overwhelming, but that would certainly start to approach it.

Here's overwhelming: Tkachuk, #3, #5, 2021 unprotected 1st

Zero chance from Ottawa's side, which is why it won't happen.

Nothing wrong with the talk and speculation at all. It’s certainly fun and interesting. And yes, every time has a price for anything.

The price though for that pick would be astronomically high and I don’t think anyone would be willing to meet it. And even then, it would still be at least a little riskier, depending on the return of course, to take the return over LaFreniere.

We can talk all we want till October 9th. But come that day, they’re almost certainly taking him

What would you say to the bold?

That’s true of any draft pick. In any spot in the draft. In any sport.

It’s just resoundingly less of a possibility with a pick that high, and a prospect of this kid’s status.

But yes, any pick can bust or fail to reach the ceiling he’s believed to possess. It’s just very much less likely.

I am trying to say if there is a great package on the table it might be smart to take it. By the way what does Lafrenier's injury history looks like? Any possible red flags?

I am trying to say if there is a great package on the table it might be smart to take it. By the way what does Lafrenier's injury history looks like? Any possible red flags?
"hey guys, I'm looking for a reason not to take the best number one overall of the last three years... Who can make an excuse for me?"

What would you say to the bold?

That’s an offer that’s absolutely worth considering. And if they could somehow get Ottawa to give them a little cap relief too, it’s even more a consideration.

But it’s also a ridiculous and gross overpayment that I don’t believe Ottawa would do and then you have to wait around for those picks to reach the NHL and develop. LaFreniere is ready now and by all accounts should be an immediate impact player. Ottawa is giving up 4 potentially premium pieces, basically the guys of their future core, for 1 player... in a rebuild.

Those 3-5 for 1 deals are ones you make when you go out and get that 1 piece when that 1 piece is the piece you’re missing, and you send 3-5 young, futures the other way.

Even with LaFreniere, Ottawa is still a dumpster fire. And years away. And hurting their ability to assemble a core moving forward.

And I think I’d rather have him be my guy and build my team around him for the next 10-15 years if I’m the Rangers

The likelihood of that package is so remote, I have difficulty even saying the numbers.

It would be in the neighborhood of a Lindros package. Which we haven’t seen since Lindros. That was nearly 30 years ago.

And Quebec was forced into that.

So we want to trade a can't miss, leader, elite talent because we need to address the SECOND LINE center? Really? Hell we can resign Strome to a bridge and still have pieces like ADA, our other 1st, Georgiev, Kravtsov if need be if we feel we are THAT close.
  • Like 1

So we want to trade a can't miss, leader, elite talent because we need to address the SECOND LINE center? Really? Hell we can resign Strome to a bridge and still have pieces like ADA, our other 1st, Georgiev, Kravtsov if need be if we feel we are THAT close.

no that is dumb reason. I don't think anybody wants to trade him, I think the only way he is traded is if some team really wants him and is willing to pay through the nose.

What you're saying is logical.

By that logic we should never draft anyone because they might not be good or they might get hurt.

We should just trade those pics for players who never get hurt... Like Lindros, like Bure... Oh dear.

Not really. Us fans always want the shiny new toy. Exact same discussions were happening last year with Kakko. You would hope a GM is more adept at determining real value. Have a feeling these deals of Tkachuk, #3, #5, plus more would never happen from Ottawa’s perspective. As a fan I want LAF in the hopes he is a superstar.

Not really. Us fans always want the shiny new toy. Exact same discussions were happening last year with Kakko. You would hope a GM is more adept at determining real value. Have a feeling these deals of Tkachuk, #3, #5, plus more would never happen from Ottawa’s perspective. As a fan I want LAF in the hopes he is a superstar.

If some team was offering us great return for Kakko then, maybe we should have taken it.

So you guys wouldn't trade Laf for McDavid?

Ouch. Ok...lets play. Who else is going the other way? Surely it's not going to be #1OA straight up for McDavid. While LaFreniere is supposed to be a superstar talent I believe he is not scouted as "generational talent" as McDavid is. Maybe a tier below, Matthews/Laine type? McDavid gives us our 1C which makes Zib a great 1-2 punch as the 2C...barring him not going back in the trade. Now we have a 23yo $12.5M generational superstar 1C and a 27yo (probable soon to be)$10M superstar 2C to go along with our 28yo $11+M superstar winger. Hello Toronto south. Idk, I just don't see it happening. Mika would most likely have to go the other way in the deal in which case we're trading McD's $12M for Mika's eventual $10-11M. I'd say we win that trade for sure. EDM obviously wins the trade between #1OA and #14OA. So, again, what else is going the other way for McDavid?