• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

This one stings more than Eli Manning for me. Eli had a couple of golden years that resulted in Super Bowl wins and awesome memories from them. Lundqvist was far better at his position than Eli was at his, yet he is walking away with no Cups, at least as a Ranger. This is a tough goodbye.

It does sting a lot for us fans that's for sure. But I can only imagine how much it must sting for Henrik. He's gotta feel like he gave everything, absolutely everything in those years when the Rangers had a shot...and still somehow came up short. I don't think anyone can question how much he wanted to take the Rangers to the Cup. So even if he gets to lift it for another team, I'm sure that's something he'll always have to live with.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes Rangers' management did him a bit dirty building better teams around him. But, they still had a good sized window to get a championship, and unfortunately just couldn't do it. Games 1 and 2 of the Final against the Kings still give me nightmares. Then, the following season, they are one home win away from going to the Stanley Cup Final in back to back seasons in the salary cap era, pretty astounding. Both of those teams were special, as was the 2012 team.

It's weird that it hurts as much as it does with the advanced notice. I thought that would lessen the blow for me, but I've just got a pit in my stomach.

I've never known a Ranger team without Lundqvist. I grew up on him. I was raised by his teams. He was my idol. I guess I took that for granted. I never really gave serious consideration to a Ranger team without Lundqvist. Now seeing it as reality makes me feel like part of my childhood died. I know it's probably his choice, but the thought of seeing him in another sweater is nauseating. It feels wrong. I know there are factors from both sides that contribute to this but for once I'm not interested in debating or focusing on the facts. I know those.

This is a sad conclusion to a chapter in Rangers' history. The next one is set to be great. It might be the best one yet. I just wish we could re-write this ending.

• Like 2

Sad day today....end of an era for a lot of us!

I'm already looking forward to his first game at MSG....Like RJ said..."Giacomin re-visited" for us old guys!!

Hopefully his first game back at MSG fans will be in the stands to chant Hen-Rik! Hen-Rik! Hen-Rik! one final time and give him the proper sendoff he deserves from the Ranger faithful.

• Like 1

Sometimes Rangers' management did him a bit dirty building better teams around him. But, they still had a good sized window to get a championship, and unfortunately just couldn't do it. Games 1 and 2 of the Final against the Kings still give me nightmares. Then, the following season, they are one home win away from going to the Stanley Cup Final in back to back seasons in the salary cap era, pretty astounding. Both of those teams were special, as was the 2012 team.

Yeah. Fact is the Rangers were fucking awesome for a long period of time. I don?t really subscribe to the idea that management failed to give him a good team. How many hall of fame players did hank play with in his career? 4? They won the division twice. They won the league once. Went to the ECF multiple times and the finals once.

Yeah there were disappointing springs mixed in there but overall that?s one hell of a run. Hank was a part of some of the best hockey any of us have ever watched. Stinks they couldn?t close it out but that?s how it goes.

His cap hit was $1.5 mil more than any other goalie in the league (Raask and Rinne were the next highest paid at 7m with Price behind them at 6.5). With huge a high cap hit, advancing years and diluted skill set this was always gonna happen.

Thanks though Hank, it was a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Fact is the Rangers were fucking awesome for a long period of time. I don’t really subscribe to the idea that management failed to give him a good team. How many hall of fame players did hank play with in his career? 4? They won the division twice. They won the leave once. Went to the ECF 3 times and the finals once.

Yeah there were disappointing springs mixed in there but overall that’s one hell of a run. Hank was a part of some of the best hockey any of us have ever watched. Stinks they couldn’t close it out but that’s how it goes.

Indeed. There were definitely times where the offense could have been better, but it's really hard to complain about anything from that era. It was one of the better periods the Rangers had since the late 60's-early 70's probably. They did everything but win the Cup. They might even be setting themselves up for an even longer period of success. I think that helps and this hurts a bit less, but still sucks. It helps that the Rangers are in good hands in goal with Shesterkin and just in good hands in general with the front office and everything.

Even knowing all year that this would happen (and had to happen), it's a very sad moment.

I became a fan before the lockout, but basically 99% of the games I was able to watch were in the Lundqvist-era.

(mostly only had Rangers-Radio before the lockout and the rise of Internet streaming)

• Like 1

He will end up living in New York, and he should be a fixture at MSG, like Gilbert and Graves. I'm glad for that. When you sign a seven year contract extension when you are already into your thirties, this sort of thing is almost inevitable at the end. I have mixed feelings about him coming back in another sweater and getting the start. I sort of would prefer his career to wind up quietly without a Giacomin type spectacle. Maybe the next appearance should be for the sweater raising.

Yeah, Henrik was one of the last big pillars of my early-mid 2000s idols. I lost David Wright, then I lost Eli Manning, and Henrik was the last New York sports icon for me. It really does feel like a part of me died.

I think the thing that really hit home for me is that I will never again hear at the Garden: "And in goal, Number Thirty, Heeennnnnrrriiiikkkkk Lundqvist!!!"

• Like 2

not much to be said than what has been.

always nice to be a fan and have a guy like hank that always conducted himself with class and professionalism. Hope he gets a run on a true contender next year. if not i hope he finds a place long term in the rangers family. 3 man booth with sam and joe perhaps? or better yet replace vally in the studio.

however knowing him he'd probably angle for an executive position.

I want to see JD mentor Lundquist and groom him for a successful career when all is said and done.

That aside, is Panarin the biggest NY sports icon in 2021?

I don't picture Hank in that role. It doesn't seem like it'd suit him for some reason. I think his future after the NHL is outside of the NHL. Like some type of Sweden hockey thing.

I don't picture Hank in that role. It doesn't seem like it'd suit him for some reason. I think his future after the NHL is outside of the NHL. Like some type of Sweden hockey thing.

Agreed. I think if he ends up in any managerial position it'll be something like buying the Frolunda Indians and staying out in Sweden. New York has been his home, but I think Sweden is still very much where his heart is.

I'm guessing that he has an offer for a good gig somewhere in the league (Avs) but they don't want to pay him even at 50%. He'll get his starting job elsewhere on the cheap. He doesn't want to be a back up. So the Rangers did him a favor and bought him out.

Go chase that cup Henrik. We love you man. Wish you could have stuck around and split starts with Shestyorkin.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why they bought out Henrik Lundqvist for a net 1.5 Million cap savings, to retain a scrub like Georgiev. In fact, after factoring in a Georgiev raise, you're probably further behind than you would be just trading Georgiev for the 4th round pick he's worth. Why would you pay Georgiev 2.5-3 million to back up? He fucking sucks.

There has to be something else to this. Perhaps he didn't want to backup, or I dunno, but it makes no sense.