• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

I just don't understand why they bought out Henrik Lundqvist for a net 1.5 Million cap savings, to retain a scrub like Georgiev. In fact, after factoring in a Georgiev raise, you're probably further behind than you would be just trading Georgiev for the 4th round pick he's worth. Why would you pay Georgiev 2.5-3 million to back up? He fucking sucks.

There has to be something else to this. Perhaps he didn't want to backup, or I dunno, but it makes no sense.

Pretty sure he didn?t want to sit on the bench. Understandable. Georgiev ain?t that bad either. Feel more confident with him then I did Vally, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand why they bought out Henrik Lundqvist for a net 1.5 Million cap savings, to retain a scrub like Georgiev. In fact, after factoring in a Georgiev raise, you're probably further behind than you would be just trading Georgiev for the 4th round pick he's worth. Why would you pay Georgiev 2.5-3 million to back up? He fucking sucks.

There has to be something else to this. Perhaps he didn't want to backup, or I dunno, but it makes no sense.

I'd love to know who's better at that price that's available.

I count 12 FA goalies that could be an adequate back up to Shesterkin that would cost between 1-2 Million.

Their insistence on keeping Geogiev is a hedge against Shesterkin, which I think is a mistake.

I disagree. I'd also like to know how Georgiev "fucking sucks" when he compares more favorably statistically to most of those UFA goaltenders who you claim are adequate. So do they also suck?

There's a growing sentiment in the NHL that the days of goaltenders being able to handle a severe load are ending. It's just not practical to push a goaltender to play 70 games even if they're incredibly good. 19 out of 31 teams used a tandem (qualified by a goaltender starting fewer than 60 games) just this past season. That's a 25% increase from just three seasons ago. If you have an Athletic subscription, read the article on it.

Shesterkin has never started more than 39 games in a season.

The Rangers likely envision Georgiev as being a better goaltender for that tandem than most of the 34+-year-old options that are available. I'm inclined to agree with them. Are the available goaltenders a significant step-down? No. But does Georgiev fucking suck? Also no.

I'd love to know who's better at that price that's available.

At that price? Probably Crawford or Greiss. Maybe even Talbot for less. Khudobin would have been if he'd not went on the run he just did. He's going to make stupid money, though he'd be perfect.

Georgiev is another example, like Howden, of why youth is not a skill set. He's mostly gotten worse as his workload increased, with only minor improvements between the last two seasons in which he's played 30+ games.

2017-18 — 10 games, .918, 2.05 GSAA (Goals Saved Above Average), 22.9 xGA (Expected Goals Against)

2018-19 — 33 games, .914, 4.27 GSAA, 73.3 xGA

2019-20 — 34 games, .910, 0.12 GSAA, 66.6 xGA

But — also like Howden — from what I've been told, the coaching staff love him because his work ethic is incredibly high.

OK, so keep Lundqvist.

It was about a mutual understanding that the time had come to part ways. Lundqvist didn't want to endure another season as a glorified backup, surrounded by questions about age and playing time, and the Rangers are happy to move forward with a tandem of Shesterkin and Georgiev.

Link: https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/09/30/what-like-covering-henrik-lundqvist-after-years-watching-him/3586236001/

Simple as that.

At that price? Probably Crawford or Greiss. Maybe even Talbot for less. Khudobin would have been if he'd not went on the run he just did. He's going to make stupid money, though he'd be perfect.

Georgiev is another example, like Howden, of why youth is not a skill set. He's mostly gotten worse as his workload increased, with only minor improvements between the last two seasons in which he's played 30+ games.

2017-18 — 10 games, .918, 2.05 GSAA (Goals Saved Above Average), 22.9 xGA (Expected Goals Against)

2018-19 — 33 games, .914, 4.27 GSAA, 73.3 xGA

2019-20 — 34 games, .910, 0.12 GSAA, 66.6 xGA

But — also like Howden — from what I've been told, the coaching staff love him because his work ethic is incredibly high.

Exactly. We all watched his value slowly erode as the year went on, to the point where he wasn't being trusted with much. He's still a raw project, and he's starting to get expensive.

I was overly harsh with saying he fucking sucks, so I'll go with he's fucking eminently replaceable.

Perhaps, buts that's pretty simplistic. Why would he regard his situation as a glorified bench warmer if he played 35 games, as is tbe trend you pointed out?

It could have gone several different ways over the past year, or so. I'm pretty sure he would have stayed had they really wanted him to.

That makes more sense and that’s what I was saying that there has to be a bit more to this than just simply keep him for his last year. I don’t think Henrik wanted to stay, but teams weren’t willing to pay half his cap hit so this buyout is the only way this can work at this point.

My biggest issue with Geo is that he's a skating polarity. It's basically one/none against or six.

I can't disagree with that, but I also see that as a reason to keep him. When he's on he's fantastic. I know you can say that about most goalies, but I feel as though Georgiev has displayed high caliber goaltending. The issue is that he's evidently rattled very easily. If they can work out the mental kinks with him then I think you'll see a lot less of that polarity. He's 24. By all accounts, that's still young for a goaltender at his age. And while you included his 5v5 stats, he performs really well on the PK, especially when compared to Lundqvist despite their similar stats in some areas this season.

Perhaps, buts that's pretty simplistic. Why would he regard his situation as a glorified bench warmer if he played 35 games, as is tbe trend you pointed out?

It could have gone several different ways over the past year, or so. I'm pretty sure he would have stayed had they really wanted him to.

It could be that those 35 games still weren't enough for him.

That makes more sense and that’s what I was saying that there has to be a bit more to this than just simply keep him for his last year. I don’t think Henrik wanted to stay, but teams weren’t willing to pay half his cap hit so this buyout is the only way this can work at this point.

Right. If he feels he still has mileage left then power to him. There was still some old Henrik left in game one against Carolina. Put him behind a defense that isn't as putrid as the Rangers and he's probably a little better than he was this season. I don't know if he's going to get the games he's used to, though.

I disagree. I'd also like to know how Georgiev "fucking sucks" when he compares more favorably statistically to most of those UFA goaltenders who you claim are adequate. So do they also suck?

There's a growing sentiment in the NHL that the days of goaltenders being able to handle a severe load are ending. It's just not practical to push a goaltender to play 70 games even if they're incredibly good. 19 out of 31 teams used a tandem (qualified by a goaltender starting fewer than 60 games) just this past season. That's a 25% increase from just three seasons ago. If you have an Athletic subscription, read the article on it.

Shesterkin has never started more than 39 games in a season.

The Rangers likely envision Georgiev as being a better goaltender for that tandem than most of the 34+-year-old options that are available. I'm inclined to agree with them. Are the available goaltenders a significant step-down? No. But does Georgiev fucking suck? Also no.

Agree 100%

Something I didn't realize that that every team has to expose a goalie to the expansion draft at the end of next season. So that means if Hank stayed, they'd have to expose Shesterkin, no?

Resigning Georgiev means he'll be exposed I guess.

Shesty is ineligible for the draft I think. They would have had to protect hank cuz of his nmc.

Shesty is ineligible for the draft I think. They would have had to protect hank cuz of his nmc.

Hank would've been a free agent so they wouldn't have had to protect him I think?

Didn't they sign Berube so they can expose him in the draft?

Right. Protections don't matter in the case of expansion for pending UFAs.

Players with two or fewer years of professional NA experience are ineligible for selection. As 20-21 will only be Shesterkin's second year he's ineligible.

Berube is still un-signed but he can be exposed as long as they re-sign him.

It's weird that it hurts as much as it does with the advanced notice. I thought that would lessen the blow for me, but I've just got a pit in my stomach.

I've never known a Ranger team without Lundqvist. I grew up on him. I was raised by his teams. He was my idol. I guess I took that for granted. I never really gave serious consideration to a Ranger team without Lundqvist. Now seeing it as reality makes me feel like part of my childhood died. I know it's probably his choice, but the thought of seeing him in another sweater is nauseating. It feels wrong. I know there are factors from both sides that contribute to this but for once I'm not interested in debating or focusing on the facts. I know those.

This is a sad conclusion to a chapter in Rangers' history. The next one is set to be great. It might be the best one yet. I just wish we could re-write this ending.

I feel your pain man. Your Lundqvist was my Richter. I hated seeing him end his career due to all those injuries. Fighting back from those knee injuries just to get another concussion was gut wrenching for me. I literally cried watching his press conference. I met him back in 2013-14-15(don't remember which year exactly) and I told him that and I asked if I could hug him and he laughed and actually pulled me in hahaha. Anyways, I was raised by Richter but I matured with Hank so this hurts too. I haven't cried, yet, though I came close a few times reading his IG posts that he posted that day(more on that later). Its a shitty ending for sure. Watching him as much as we all have we all know how much he really did leave everything he had out on the ice. Especially 2014. I know a lot of his haters will talk down about the way he stared down his dmen sometimes but that was his competitive drive. I really do hope he wins wherever he goes.

As for the IG posts, those lead me to agree with whoever mentioned that this might just be more of the team doing him a solid so he can continue playing rather than the team telling Hank to go kick rocks. I think if this was truly a bitter dispute that he might not have gone out the way he did. I am not saying that he would publicly badmouth the team, he is too classy for that. But I think maybe he wouldn't have been so graceful in his goodbye. Maybe something more similar to last season where he was crickets at the end of the season instead of his usual end of season "thank you" posts. I don't know, pure speculation obviously.

Indeed. There were definitely times where the offense could have been better, but it's really hard to complain about anything from that era. It was one of the better periods the Rangers had since the late 60's-early 70's probably. They did everything but win the Cup. They might even be setting themselves up for an even longer period of success. I think that helps and this hurts a bit less, but still sucks. It helps that the Rangers are in good hands in goal with Shesterkin and just in good hands in general with the front office and everything.

This has Don Mattingly written all over it. Granted, the Yankees were in way worse shape than the Rangers. Star franchise player never quite getting there and then just misses out on the team putting it all together and going on a run.

• Like 1

I feel your pain man. Your Lundqvist was my Richter. I hated seeing him end his career due to all those injuries. Fighting back from those knee injuries just to get another concussion was gut wrenching for me. I literally cried watching his press conference. I met him back in 2013-14-15(don't remember which year exactly) and I told him that and I asked if I could hug him and he laughed and actually pulled me in hahaha. Anyways, I was raised by Richter but I matured with Hank so this hurts too. I haven't cried, yet, though I came close a few times reading his IG posts that he posted that day(more on that later). Its a shitty ending for sure. Watching him as much as we all have we all know how much he really did leave everything he had out on the ice. Especially 2014. I know a lot of his haters will talk down about the way he stared down his dmen sometimes but that was his competitive drive. I really do hope he wins wherever he goes.

As for the IG posts, those lead me to agree with whoever mentioned that this might just be more of the team doing him a solid so he can continue playing rather than the team telling Hank to go kick rocks. I think if this was truly a bitter dispute that he might not have gone out the way he did. I am not saying that he would publicly badmouth the team, he is too classy for that. But I think maybe he wouldn't have been so graceful in his goodbye. Maybe something more similar to last season where he was crickets at the end of the season instead of his usual end of season "thank you" posts. I don't know, pure speculation obviously.

This has Don Mattingly written all over it. Granted, the Yankees were in way worse shape than the Rangers. Star franchise player never quite getting there and then just misses out on the team putting it all together and going on a run.

Well I pray to the ho key gods that our organization ends up just like the Yankees the year after he left and subsequent years there after.