• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staal was a big surprise. Hank was gone once they declared no three goalies next year. Such a glut of goalies available that there was probably no market for Georgie or Hank.

Would have been best for everyone if Hank agreed to move on back when the letter went out. Team was going nowhere and the way this played out was much worse to go through.

Rangers must have something big in the works to be freeing up all this space a year early. Maybe an RFA included in a deal. Also looking a lot more possible to bring back Fast which is real nice.

I am somewhat surprised given the Staal cap clear. At this point, it seems more a favor for Lundqvist to go sign somewhere else than it does to benefit the Rangers.

Yeah, it's a favor to him. The best case scenario here was probably a Lundqvist half-retained trade. Even then...the difference this season in cap hit versus a buyout is 1.25M (and then the dead cap next year, but that's not the biggest deal here).

Fuck, I'm sad. He deserved so much better than he got here - he deserved teams that could score a big goal, he deserved more than the one Vezina, he deserved a Cup.

He's headed to the rafters, though.

Because Georgiev has a multitude of years ahead of him that Lundqvist doesn't.

I mean they were shopping him though before the deadline. Just something seems a miss. Trading Geo mid season, Henrik postseason, now back to keeping Geo.

I’ve said thry should do this for a while but still. I figured when they tried trading Geo, they had made their decision on a direction gosltender wise. Then when they bought out Staal u figure they trade Geo now and recoup that 2nd.

One thing that doesn’t exactly still make sense. If this is a case of “as an organization we favor Geo over Hank” then why didn’t Geo play against the Canes?

That was a favor to Hank. I don't believe for a second that Shesty was magically injured. They knew this buyout was coming.

Yeah, it's a favor to him. The best case scenario here was probably a Lundqvist half-retained trade. Even then...the difference this season in cap hit versus a buyout is 1.25M (and then the dead cap next year, but that's not the biggest deal here).

Fuck, I'm sad. He deserved so much better than he got here - he deserved teams that could score a big goal, he deserved more than the one Vezina, he deserved a Cup.

He's headed to the rafters, though.

He deserved better results. The Rangers tried like hell to make it happen though. How many 1sts did they trade away? How many guys did they bring in to try and become better offensively? They just couldn't quite get the performance out of the offense when they needed it most.

He deserved better results. The Rangers tried like hell to make it happen though. How many 1sts did they trade away? How many guys did they bring in to try and become better offensively? They just couldn't quite get the performance out of the offense when they needed it most.

At one point at the tail end of the Rangers' longer runs, there was a reasonable case that he was far and away the best player in the NHL post-lockout.

It just sucked that when he was at his best, some of ours were not.

Really sad to hear this happening. Would love to have kept him going as a backup, or see him retire as a Ranger. I don’t know how easy it’s gonna be for him to get a job in the NHL, I mean is anyone looking for a goaltender of his magnitude that is close to a championship? I hope this was mutual though. Hate to see a beloved player who was the face of the franchise go like this. It’s gonna be hard seeing him in another teams uniform.

I'd like to see him sign on as a #2 with a contender for a modest amount and then see some action in the finals and win.

Tampa: Curtis McElhanney is the No.2, with one year left on a $1.3m contract and no no trade or no move clause. They certainly did fine with the seemingly expired Girardi and Shattenkirk after the Rangers bought them out.

Aves. And he'll win a cup Ray Bourque style.

This is what I want. At this point, I would love for him to get a Cup and further cement his legacy. It will suck that it wasn't here, of course, but it's better than nothing. Even moreso than McDonagh, Girardi, etc., it would really cement him as an all time great. I mean, I think he is anyway, but a title would be the cherry on top, as that's really the only he hasn't done.