• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that backups who are cost efficient who can play 30+ games are easy to find. Hank certainly can’t handle that many.

There are 10 UFA goaltenders that started 30+ games this past season: Holtby, Markstrom, Crawford, Smith, Lehner, Anderson, Dell, Greiss, Elliott, and Khudobin. Howard and Talbot both barely miss the cut with 3 and 4 games short respectively.

Holtby, Markstrom, and Lehner are all definitively starters. Crawford and Khudobin are still capable of being fringe starters somewhere despite being 35 and 34. The rest are old and are pretty much on par with Georgiev or worse. Assuming Lundqvist moves on, I'd rather have Georgiev over what's available. The options out there aren't a significant downgrade, but given their ages, I'd be worried about deterioration.

There are 10 UFA goaltenders that started 30+ games this past season: Holtby, Markstrom, Crawford, Smith, Lehner, Anderson, Dell, Greiss, Elliott, and Khudobin. Howard and Talbot both barely miss the cut with 3 and 4 games short respectively.

Holtby, Markstrom, and Lehner are all definitively starters. Crawford and Khudobin are still capable of being fringe starters somewhere despite being 35 and 34. The rest are old and are pretty much on par with Georgiev or worse. Assuming Lundqvist moves on, I'd rather have Georgiev over what's available. The options out there aren't a significant downgrade, but given their ages, I'd be worried about deterioration.

Exactly.

and assumption is Georgiev has a lot more room to grow and improve.

Okay and? He was an undrafted UFA. Good scouting allowed them to find him. It's not like there's an influx of UFA goalies at his age coming from Europe.
Okay and did you predict them signing Geo? So it could possibly be that you don't know about all the goalie talent in Europe?

Let's stop the nonsense. Back up goalies are pretty easy to find. In fact the only team that had trouble getting one this year was Toronto, and their management is crap.

Okay and did you predict them signing Geo? So it could possibly be that you don't know about all the goalie talent in Europe?

I don't, but I think "we can just find another young Euro" is a poor way to operate. You'll just end up with more Jonas Gustavssons than Georgievs.

Let's stop the nonsense. Back up goalies are pretty easy to find. In fact the only team that had trouble getting one this year was Toronto, and their management is crap.

Okay. And we know the current UFA pool of backup goalies and we also know that they're old and compare negatively to Georgiev. So what's the purpose of moving on from someone who's competent with room to grow while the others are likely to recede?

I don't, but I think "we can just find another young Euro" is a poor way to operate. You'll just end up with more Jonas Gustavssons than Georgievs.

Okay. And we know the current UFA pool of backup goalies and we also know that they're old and compare negatively to Georgiev. So what's the purpose of moving on from someone who's competent with room to grow while the others are likely to recede?

A backup for Shesty in 2022 doesn't worry me.

A backup for Shesty in 2022 doesn't worry me.

That's fair. I don't know if Quinn is ready to give Shesterkin the full starter treatment (60-70 games), and I also don't know if that's really the way to go in the current NHL.

The Athletic put out a good piece recently emphasizing the switch to tandems of late. Link: https://theathletic.com/2088618/2020/09/24/in-todays-nhl-it-takes-two-goalies-and-that-should-have-a-big-offseason-impact/?article_source=search&search_query=tandem

That's fair. I don't know if Quinn is ready to give Shesterkin the full starter treatment (60-70 games), and I also don't know if that's really the way to go in the current NHL.

The Athletic put out a good piece recently emphasizing the switch to tandems of late. Link: https://theathletic.com/2088618/2020/09/24/in-todays-nhl-it-takes-two-goalies-and-that-should-have-a-big-offseason-impact/?article_source=search&search_query=tandem

And not all goalies can effectively play 70 games + playoffs.

The buyout possibility could be a nice leverage piece. Look at the options

Trade- Highly unlikely. Why assume 8.5 when you might be able to get him for peanuts.

Buyout- has to be the most appealing option for Hank if he still wants to play. Can pick the best fit.

Stay as backup- does Hank want to ride the pines for 75% of the season? For arguments sake, The team is playing meaningful games right up to the end of the regular season, does Hank want his send off from the Garden to be done with a baseball cap on not having played in 2 weeks? Perhaps NOT using the buyout creates a leverage play.

Retirement- I had thought it insane.. but if the alternative is being a spectator for his last season? I?ve talked myself into this being a 20% chance now. I was at .00001% earlier.

Regardless, it going to be weird next year watching the core of what was a largely successful group move on to retirement and/or other teams as the careers wind down.

When I read this, I agree with it.

But as I think more on it, for this team, next year there is really no difference between Hank and Geo as a backup. They're not a Cup contender, and according to JD not even mandated [expected?] to make playoffs.

Plus, backup goalies are really easy to find. That's the exact reason Geo has little value.

There's really no whopper of a reason not to let Hank finish his contract.

I agree with you 100% here Pete. Next season is not going to be anything more in my eyes than a year of experience for the kids and the year to sweep all of those old expensive Sather contracts that have been dogging us for years, out the door.

I can go either way with Georgiev, but backup's are a dime a dozen right now, and that goalie market looks like it's going to last a while, in my estimation.

Wednesday, Henrik Lundqvist will no longer be a Ranger.

Once unthinkable, but essentially inevitable for the last six months, The Post has learned that the Blueshirts are expected to announce the buyout of the King, thus ending one of the most storied and celebrated careers in franchise history.

Fifteen seasons, 11 trips to the postseason the first 12 years, 11 playoff series victories, a trip to the Cup final in 2014 folded into three trips to the Eastern Conference finals within four years during the halcyon days of the last decade, franchise records with 459 victories, 64 shutouts, 61 postseason victories, the 2011-12 Vezina Trophy and a first-All-Star team berth that same Black-and-Blueshirt season.

All of it.

All of it except a Stanley Cup championship and a ride up the Canyon of Heroes for this New York hockey hero who will have his No. 30 retired and raised to a place of honor at the Garden?s pinwheel ceiling just about the moment he himself decides to retire.

Which is not now, for as the Rangers go forward with an Igor Shesterkin-Alex Georgiev tandem in nets, Lundqvist will sift through the free agency market and determine whether there is a team for whom he might be a match.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/29/rangers-buying-out-henrik-lundqvist-in-bittersweet-end-of-an-era/?sr_share=twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPSportsTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow