• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

IIRC if he does retire, he can’t come back mid season right? He has to file papers to retire and apply for reinstating at some point? Vaguely remember discussing it with MSL when he hung it up, and Kovy too I guess

I've looked through the CBA on this issue multiple times and haven't found anything on it. This article on Kovalchuk's return to the NHL says:

When Kovalchuk left the NHL, his contract was terminated and he was placed on the voluntary retirement list. That allowed the Devils to maintain his NHL rights until he turns 35, which would be April 15, 2018.

Prior to turning 35, if Kovalchuk wants to sign with another team, he would need approval from all 31 NHL teams. That's unlikely to happen, but the Devils could sign Kovalchuk and either keep him or trade him.

Lundqvist is over 35 so that isn't an issue. The issue being that I'm not sure how having one year left on his deal would affect his ability to unretire. Mike Fisher and Justin Williams are examples of players who retired during the summer only to come back the following season, but both were UFAs when they had retired. Lundqvist's situation is a bit more unprecedented if you tried going down the route you suggest. It bothers me that I can't find any literature to come to any conclusion.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it'll be sad and officially the end of an era.

But there's just so much promise with the team right now. And I can see a scenario where Hank moves into the front office somehow.

It's bittersweet for sure. I can't pretend I'm not avoiding thinking about it until we finally have to put up the thread about it. Trying to save the emotions for that moment.

• Like 1

I've looked through the CBA on this issue multiple times and haven't found anything on it. This article on Kovalchuk's return to the NHL says:

Lundqvist is over 35 so that isn't an issue. The issue being that I'm not sure how having one year left on his deal would affect his ability to unretire. Mike Fisher and Justin Williams are examples of players who retired during the summer only to come back the following season, but both were UFAs when they had retired. Lundqvist's situation is a bit more unprecedented if you tried going down the route you suggest. It bothers me that I can't find any literature to come to any conclusion.

Found it. Phil said it so I’m not sure if he knows better or not.

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?16931-Ballsy-Predictions-Rangers-Edition-2015-2016&p=801826&viewfull=1#post801826

Sadly, My ballsy prediction didn’t come true :(

Found it. Phil said it so I’m not sure if he knows better or not.

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?16931-Ballsy-Predictions-Rangers-Edition-2015-2016&p=801826&viewfull=1#post801826

Sadly, My ballsy prediction didn’t come true :(

Mine either. Stepan still hasn't had a fight in the NHL. Pussy.

But yeah I dunno where Phil got that from. Phil?

Lol I actually even checked hockey fights to see if Steps did. I mean being in the league for over a decade and not fighting once is an accomplishment.

I think he may have gotten a roughing minor at some point. I distinctly remember getting excited. "Is this the moment?!?!" Nah. I really should've been predicting how many Bud Lites he was crushing in a season.

It used to be that players who sign retirement papers, who then decided to "unretire," were barred from returning to the NHL for four years. It's why Kovalchuk couldn't return right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The NHL article says that the stipulation was tied to Kovalchuk being under 35. So maybe the four years only pertained to Kovalchuk's particular situation?

I just don't see them buying him out or trading him.

a) buyout is bad business and we've already got three non-rostered players on the books, including Shattenkirks enormous cap hit.

b) trade isn't going to happen based on age, skill level, and contract. There's no reason any team would take him over the other goalies listed above other than as a favor to Gorton and JD.

I can't say I don't see it happening regarding the buyout but I don't agree with it. Rangers are still rebuilding, they're most likely not winning the Cup next year....Let Lundqvist ride the season out as Shesterkin's backup (if he's willing to be a backup), mentor the kid. The cap will be flat this year and next year, can't afford another buyout cap hit for next season. You fully get his cap hit off the books after next season. Get some sort of capital with Georgiev by trading him, Rangers have had a multitude of success finding backup goalies.

If Lundquist hangs em up....

You guys are much more educated and knowledgeable with Rangers history than I. Best all time career Ranger draft pick??

If you mean by best diamond in the rough? You can make a case he’s too 10 nhl history for that. If you mean most accomplished Ranger pick, that’s still Leetch.

If you mean by best diamond in the rough? You can make a case he’s too 10 nhl history for that. If you mean most accomplished Ranger pick, that’s still Leetch.

If he won a few Cups, he'd be hockey's Tom Brady as Brady was a 6th round pick. We'd be having discussions about Lundqvist being mentioned with guys like Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur.

I was narrowing the field a bit, but what I meant was a Ranger pick that spent his entire career as a Ranger and then retired.

He's one of the greatest Rangers ever. How great? I don't know and I don't really care to rank him against players I wasn't alive to see play. He's a generational player. The actual face of the franchise.

When he's gone, it'll feel like something's missing... You can't say that about any other player on the team or any other player who's played for the team in the last 15 years.

• Like 1

http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPPyok-bcIk

Not sure if this has been posted but Nick Kypreos says NHL players are talking about Hank retiring.

Section about Hank at 59 minutes.

I love Kyper!! He's always entertaining to me, 31!

In a perfect world (to me), I'd like to see Hank play as Shesty's back up for one more season....Finish his contract and career here in NY, and then MSG have one helluva wiz-bang send off for him in April. The guy gave us more than anyone ever expected and he's had one awesome career here for 15 years or so.

I realize hockey is also a business, but we have still a little too much baggage on the books, and still a little wet behind the ears to make any kind of a run at a Stanley Cup next season in my opinion, so why the hell not. ..Staal too. Albeit Staal, hasn't exactly been the face of the franchise like Hank, but he has spent his entire career here, and he was a pretty damn good player here for a long time before father time and injuries slowed his play.

I dunno, that's just the way I'd like to see it go down.