• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

Guys, a majority of the fanbase is treating him like crap on the way out.

crazy to think he doesn't read some of this stuff, I'm sure he does.

We have people on this forum totally crapping on him on the way out.

He owes them nothing.

But in the end, even for that player. When he’s sitting 5 years down the road looking at his legacy. You think he will look back fondly of himself in a Devils sweater? Think Brodeur doesn’t sort of regret a bit having those 5 minutes in a Blues Jersey?

I could see going to a contender. I can’t see the point of going to a bottom dwelling rival but then again, it’s his career and this is all these guys know. Still though, these players still do know what going to certain clubs mean compared to others.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But in the end, even for that player. When he?s sitting 5 years down the road looking at his legacy. You think he will look back fondly of himself in a Devils sweater? Think Brodeur doesn?t sort of regret a bit having those 5 minutes in a Blues Jersey?

I could see going to a contender. I can?t see the point of going to a bottom dwelling rival but then again, it?s his career and this is all these guys know. Still though, these players still do know what going to certain clubs mean compared to others.

Right. Avs pick him up? Awesome. Go win a Cup, dude. Devils? Fuck you, and fuck the Devils. I hope you help them... finish in 9th place.

I get that, and I agree, but there's a line between "I'm continuing my career elsewhere," and "I'm signing with the Devils."

It'd be a great way for him to live long enough to become the villain.

So if they're the only team to offer a contract he should say no? Come on.

So if they're the only team to offer a contract he should say no? Come on.

If that literally is true and only one team in the entire NHL offer him a contract, a bottom dwelling rival of the franchise he spent 15 or so years with, what should that tell Henrik the man himself?

If that literally is true and only one team in the entire NHL offer him a contract, a bottom dwelling rival of the franchise he spent 15 or so years with, what should that tell Henrik the man himself?

It can't be very easy to walk away from a game you love to play, especially if you can still play at a high enough level. The Devils might not represent a very good opportunity to win a Cup, but it doesn't mean Lundqvist wouldn't enjoy being out on the ice actually playing and doing something he's done for 30 something years.

Just like the Rangers might make a business decision about him, Lundqvist should be free to do what he feels will make him happiest in life. Even if that means signing on with one of our most hated rivals. It's just business.

It makes sense that they will continue to work out a trade, with full knowledge that it is not likely. I also think it is unlikely that they will let it drag out to Oct. 8. If there continues to be no real trade possibilities early next week, look for it to happen then. I don't see what would be in it for the Devils to sign him for the reasons cited often is this thread. Perhaps Hank would consider sharing the position with Blackwood, if that were offered, and there were no offers to be more than a backup from a contender.

It can't be very easy to walk away from a game you love to play, especially if you can still play at a high enough level. The Devils might not represent a very good opportunity to win a Cup, but it doesn't mean Lundqvist wouldn't enjoy being out on the ice actually playing and doing something he's done for 30 something years.

Just like the Rangers might make a business decision about him, Lundqvist should be free to do what he feels will make him happiest in life. Even if that means signing on with one of our most hated rivals. It's just business.

It’s definitely not easy. This is all they know. I do not agree that’s it’s just business. It’s “ just business” when a player is 28-35 or so and things aren’t working out. It supersedes that aspect when a player makes multiple cup runs, declined to be moved when the tear down happened, and now at 39 decides that’s a good fit when he knows it’s just not.

It’s a bit different

He doesn't want to leave the Rangers. If the Rangers buy him out he has the right to go wherever he wants and not tarnish his legacy.

I have more respect for that than asking to be traded for a chance to win a cup on another team.

I don't think it's realistic that he say he'd rather retire than play for the Devils.

Buy him out and I hope he goes to a rival, Isles hopefully. He deserves to backup Shesty for his last year. Georgiev is not a hot commodity nor that good to command ruining the face of the franchises legacy. We arent competing this year folks, let the King ride out his contract and pick up his 20 games next season.

I dont even understand the idea of otherwise honestly. If georgiev was better than average, then we would talk but he isnt. Slightly below actually compared to the stats posted earlier in this thread.

The Henrik chant in the last game of next season would be memorable for all. This franchise will disappoint me significantly if he doesn't get a chance to say good bye to the MSG crowd.

• Like 1

Buy him out and I hope he goes to a rival, Isles hopefully. He deserves to backup Shesty for his last year. Georgiev is not a hot commodity nor that good to command ruining the face of the franchises legacy. We arent competing this year folks, let the King ride out his contract and pick up his 20 games next season.

I dont even understand the idea of otherwise honestly. If georgiev was better than average, then we would talk but he isnt. Slightly below actually compared to the stats posted earlier in this thread.

The Henrik chant in the last game of next season would be memorable for all. This franchise will disappoint me significantly if he doesn't get a chance to say good bye to the MSG crowd.

Sorry but you don’t pay a guy 8.5 million dollars to say goodbye. The writing has been on the wall for 2 seasons. Hank either didn’t see it or didn’t care to read it.

Yes it will suck if he’s bought out. But the rangers can’t wait for hank to move on if he’s not going to take the opportunities given to him. They have to move on themselves.

Sorry but you don’t pay a guy 8.5 million dollars to say goodbye. The writing has been on the wall for 2 seasons. Hank either didn’t see it or didn’t care to read it.

Yes it will suck if he’s bought out. But the rangers can’t wait for hank to move on if he’s not going to take the opportunities given to him. They have to move on themselves.

You really think Georgiev is giving the Rangers that much more of a future or chance to win? We have already hashed it out that monetarily it is the same. I dont think Georgiev is that good that we have to buy out Lundquist. I just don't. Totality of the circumstance, to me? I'm keeping Lundquist and flipping Georgiev for picks or otherwise. Its not speaking from just my heart. It is speaking from a business sense and my heart. What is the downfall?

Pro and Con? What pro is there with keeping Georgiev that isnt there with Lundquist?

You really think Georgiev is giving the Rangers that much more of a future or chance to win? We have already hashed it out that monetarily it is the same. I dont think Georgiev is that good that we have to buy out Lundquist. I just don't. Totality of the circumstance, to me? I'm keeping Lundquist and flipping Georgiev for picks or otherwise. Its not speaking from just my heart. It is speaking from a business sense and my heart. What is the downfall?

Pro and Con? What pro is there with keeping Georgiev that isnt there with Lundquist?

How is it cost-neutral to not buy Lundqvist out? Georgiev would need to make 3M in order to say that. He's an RFA with 77 games of NHL experience, an NHL GAA of 3 and a .91-ish save percentage. He's not making 3m. He's probably not even making 2m.

Bluntly, there's the other option here too - you can both buy out Henrik and trade Georgiev. This goalie market is flooded, and we can get a similar caliber backup for ~1M

It makes sense that they will continue to work out a trade, with full knowledge that it is not likely. I also think it is unlikely that they will let it drag out to Oct. 8. If there continues to be no real trade possibilities early next week, look for it to happen then. I don't see what would be in it for the Devils to sign him for the reasons cited often is this thread. Perhaps Hank would consider sharing the position with Blackwood, if that were offered, and there were no offers to be more than a backup from a contender.

This is going to go beyond October. Remember, the Rangers have five arb eligible RFAs. At least one of them will be moved to arbitration by the Rangers strictly to re-open a buyout window, as that gives them way more time to work out a deal for Henrik and lets the goalie market sort itself out a bit.

The Rangers would INFINITELY prefer to trade Henrik, and with the possibility of a team splitting the cost and getting a 4.25M cap hit (in a half-retention scenario) should be appealing to someone. I do think this will be an attractive proposition for a few teams, namely Colorado, potentially a few others (teams with stud young goalies who could use a strong veteran presence like CBJ or ANA).

Georgiev is better than average.

Yes. Period.

Georgiev is not only better than Hank, he’s less than half the price and 14 years younger. The NHL requires 2 good goalies these days and you can’t have 2 goalies if one costs 8.5 million dollars. So by shoving Georgie aside and getting rid of him you’re not only selling him at low value, You’re making the team worse not only immediately but 2-3 years from now so hank can take a final lap.

It makes no sense.

Yes. Period.

Georgiev is not only better than Hank, he’s less than half the price and 14 years younger. The NHL requires 2 good goalies these days and you can’t have 2 goalies if one costs 8.5 million dollars. So by shoving Georgie aside and getting rid of him you’re not only selling him at low value, You’re making the team worse not only immediately but 2-3 years from now so hank can take a final lap.

It makes no sense.

When I read this, I agree with it.

But as I think more on it, for this team, next year there is really no difference between Hank and Geo as a backup. They're not a Cup contender, and according to JD not even mandated [expected?] to make playoffs.

Plus, backup goalies are really easy to find. That's the exact reason Geo has little value.

There's really no whopper of a reason not to let Hank finish his contract.

• Like 1

When I read this, I agree with it.

But as I think more on it, for this team, next year there is really no difference between Hank and Geo as a backup. They're not a Cup contender, and according to JD not even mandated [expected?] to make playoffs.

Plus, backup goalies are really easy to find. That's the exact reason Geo has little value.

There's really no whopper of a reason not to let Hank finish his contract.

I disagree that backups who are cost efficient who can play 30+ games are easy to find. Hank certainly can’t handle that many.