• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

We have Panarin for how many more years? Strome has chemistry with the guy and is having a career year. Why would they move him? DeAngelo has blossomed into everything you would want in an Offensive D man and we are going to sell him for some Hope's that one of these guys in the system blossoms into a 60 point Offensive D man? Insanity....if these prospects are so promising then sell them for a center. Why sell a known for an unknown?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, there's lottery tickets, and if Ryan Strome is your #2 centre we're going to suck for a long time.

Most likely, yes. And now his production has been slipping. 1 goal, 7 points in the last 12 games. He's been quite bad for about a month now, with several lazy plays during that span. Somehow he goes unscathed when it comes to accountability.

A long term deal will be a mistake. Chemistry isn't always long term and for the last 12 games he doesn't look like he has been able to keep up with Panarin in any way. Give him 3 years max if you keep him. No more.

3/15 is my max offer. Max. I'm not handing him anything. He has as much of a track record of failure as he does success. Ideally, he'd play all over the top 9 in my world, but Pete has a legitimate point, too. There's no cavalry riding in to save the day up the middle.

We have Panarin for how many more years? Strome has chemistry with the guy and is having a career year. Why would they move him? DeAngelo has blossomed into everything you would want in an Offensive D man and we are going to sell him for some Hope's that one of these guys in the system blossoms into a 60 point Offensive D man? Insanity....if these prospects are so promising then sell them for a center. Why sell a known for an unknown?

I think a case can be made for Strome, as long as it's less than 4.5 million a year, and 4 years. Other than that, I think we have to make way for Chytil to be a number 2. ADA I have no use for. Last night he couldn't move my mother out in front of Hank, and half the reason Hank never saw that shot on the 3rd goal is because ADA was too small and not in position to move him.

We have defenseman that can play offense; Trouba, Fox, and Skjei. I just think we need some defenseman that can actually play defense.

Scoring for this team hasn't really been the issue. Even with the amount of dead weight they carry up front, they still manage to put points on the board. Defending is really a problem though. Even last night, Hank gave up 4 goals on 15 shots. That sounds so awful, but he hadn't a prayer on any of those....maybe the 4th goal, but DeGuiseppe went and took himself right out of the play by covering the wrong man on the 2 on 1.

I've been critical of Hank this season, but last night he really had little help.

Again, Strome...yeah maybe...if the price and term is right. But we're going through this rebuild, and we have to have faith in the guys building this thing. The good news is that our defense prospects are looking to be very promising.

• Like 1

I would just go through the motions and let Strome go through arbitration.

You could try to trade him I suppose, but considering they probably won't be able to replace him adequately in free agency the return would have to be very good. And I don't see that offer coming between now and the deadline. And if it doesn't, I can't see why the Rangers would be under any sort of pressure to get a deal done this summer. Give it another year, take stock at this time next season.

• Like 1

You could try to trade him I suppose, but considering they probably won't be able to replace him adequately in free agency the return would have to be very good. And I don't see that offer coming between now and the deadline. And if it doesn't, I can't see why the Rangers would be under any sort of pressure to get a deal done this summer. Give it another year, take stock at this time next season.

Actually a pretty good idea, man. I have no idea what he'd get through arbitration though. I can't see him getting more than 4.5 million, maybe 5 million for one year at the very most....I'm guessing at that though.

Good point, and a better route than 4 or more years. They could always negotiate up until next year's trade deadline, or trade as a rental. But if the plan isn't to keep him for more than one more year, you lose cap space that could be better utilized elsewhere. I think I would still trade him before doing a 1 year arbitration.

I think you probably need him next year as a stop gap. I don't see how you find an adequate replacement in free agency on less money than what he would get in arbitration. So if you want to be semi-competitive next season I think you have to keep him for another year. But I could be wrong.

I think you probably need him next year as a stop gap. I don't see how you find an adequate replacement in free agency on less money than what he would get in arbitration. So if you want to be semi-competitive next season I think you have to keep him for another year. But I could be wrong.

I like that idea, Gravy. "Stop gap" is exactly the term that fits too. I don't expect this team to be playoff bound next season either; with the expiration of Hank's, Staal's and Brendan Smith's contract....not to mention the last 6.4 million of Shatty's buyout all coming to an end after next season, I think the focus will be on the 21-22 season going forward.

There should be plenty more cap space to work with after next season and a one year arbitration deal for a player that looks like he may have finally found a home might very well be the best approach. :thumbs:

This is the most likely and most logical route with him as of now.

He’s certainly earned a raise and an argument can be made for a long term extension, but the timing isn’t ideal for that.

Let him play on his 1 year arb award and go from there.

• Like 1

I think a case can be made for Strome, as long as it's less than 4.5 million a year, and 4 years. Other than that, I think we have to make way for Chytil to be a number 2. ADA I have no use for. Last night he couldn't move my mother out in front of Hank, and half the reason Hank never saw that shot on the 3rd goal is because ADA was too small and not in position to move him.

We have defenseman that can play offense; Trouba, Fox, and Skjei. I just think we need some defenseman that can actually play defense.

Scoring for this team hasn't really been the issue. Even with the amount of dead weight they carry up front, they still manage to put points on the board. Defending is really a problem though. Even last night, Hank gave up 4 goals on 15 shots. That sounds so awful, but he hadn't a prayer on any of those....maybe the 4th goal, but DeGuiseppe went and took himself right out of the play by covering the wrong man on the 2 on 1.

I've been critical of Hank this season, but last night he really had little help.

Again, Strome...yeah maybe...if the price and term is right. But we're going through this rebuild, and we have to have faith in the guys building this thing. The good news is that our defense prospects are looking to be very promising.

This is wrong. The only thing DiGuisseppe did wrong on that play, if he even did, was maybe hesitate a split second before he got on his horse to back-check. Forwards should always back-check to the middle and he did. The d-man, I think Lindgren on this play, did his job and took away the pass. The shot was a bad angle shot that Comeau labeled off the far post. That is the shot you want the other team taking in a 2 on 1. Goalie is supposed to make that save but it was also a hellava shot.

This is wrong. The only thing DiGuisseppe did wrong on that play, if he even did, was maybe hesitate a split second before he got on his horse to back-check. Forwards should always back-check to the middle and he did. The d-man, I think Lindgren on this play, did his job and took away the pass. The shot was a bad angle shot that Comeau labeled off the far post. That is the shot you want the other team taking in a 2 on 1. Goalie is supposed to make that save but it was also a hellava shot.

I'd say you're 100% right on this Kev....except one thing, I didn't think he had a chance in hell at catching John's up the middle. His hesitation caused that...Lindgren is statistically the best defenseman at cutting the pass on odd man rushes, as per Valliquette, so I would've played to that advantage back checking.

DiGuisseppe's best option in my opinion was to try to interrupt or bust up the play of the rushing Comaeu, who was coasting from the top of the circle forward, and is not exactly a speedster to begin with. He had no chance of catching Johns in my eyes....and I thought he was closer to Comeau anyway. The shot was absolutely labeled to boot, and Hank admitted he should have made a better effort on that.

More than one way to backcheck on an odd man rush....The rule you stated above is the case in most instances though....sometimes when you get caught, and the puck is behind you, go for the play you can make! ;)

I watched this play several times and I still think his best play was to take Comeau:

it's at 5:12 :thumbs:

I'd say you're 100% right on this Kev....except one thing, I didn't think he had a chance in hell at catching John's up the middle. His hesitation caused that...Lindgren is statistically the best defenseman at cutting the pass on odd man rushes, as per Valliquette, so I would've played to that advantage back checking.

DiGuisseppe's best option in my opinion was to try to interrupt or bust up the play of the rushing Comaeu, who was coasting from the top of the circle forward, and is not exactly a speedster to begin with. He had no chance of catching Johns in my eyes....and I thought he was closer to Comeau anyway. The shot was absolutely labeled to boot, and Hank admitted he should have made a better effort on that.

More than one way to backcheck on an odd man rush....The rule you stated above is the case in most instances though....sometimes when you get caught, and the puck is behind you, go for the play you can make! ;)

I watched this play several times and I still think his best play was to take Comeau:

it's at 5:12 :thumbs:

Assuming I agreed with this, not sure you can expect a player playing his 3rd(?) NHL game to know that.

Assuming I agreed with this, not sure you can expect a player playing his 3rd(?) NHL game to know that.

Probably so, Pete...but watching the play, do you see how he could've caught Comeau easier than Johns?

If that's me backchecking, I'm going at Comeau, telling Lindgren "cut the pass!!!"...based on the fact he (Comeau) stayed fairly wide, and slowed down. Hank's gotta face the shooter, and if I can just even get my stick in there, and alter his shot away from him just labeling it in the upper corner, we're going the other way and it's still 3-2.

But yeah, his first game, and I hope Rangers players get to "know" their own teammates strengths and weaknesses heading to the future. That may be a lot to ask this bunch!! :rofl:

Probably so, Pete...but watching the play, do you see how he could've caught Comeau easier than Johns?

If that's me backchecking, I'm going at Comeau, telling Lindgren "cut the pass!!!"...based on the fact he (Comeau) stayed fairly wide, and slowed down. Hank's gotta face the shooter, and if I can just even get my stick in there, and alter his shot away from him just labeling it in the upper corner, we're going the other way and it's still 3-2.

But yeah, his first game, and I hope Rangers players get to "know" their own teammates strengths and weaknesses heading to the future. That may be a lot to ask this bunch!! :rofl:

Actually, watching and rewatching that replay, I might be more inclined to blame Buch than anyone else. He was even with the second guy as he was leaving the zone and then didn't give any fucking effort at all trying to get back. Maybe that's what DQ saw. That's fucking lazy.

Personally I think the Rangers should take the route the Yankees did a few years ago with Chapman. Trade him now for a shit ton and then bring him back next year. Obviously this is only works if the money is right and it’s extremely rare but nothing says it’s impossible and it does speed up a lot of a rebuild.

Actually, watching and rewatching that replay, I might be more inclined to blame Buch than anyone else. He was even with the second guy as he was leaving the zone and then didn't give any fucking effort at all trying to get back. Maybe that's what DQ saw. That's fucking lazy.

You know what...you're right!!!! ....Another reason probably why Quinn was totally miffed at Buch in the presser after the game....I just watched it again....good catch Kev!

Personally I think the Rangers should take the route the Yankees did a few years ago with Chapman. Trade him now for a shit ton and then bring him back next year. Obviously this is only works if the money is right and it’s extremely rare but nothing says it’s impossible and it does speed up a lot of a rebuild.

Agreed.

Yeah, that would be ideal. It's possible he sees greener pastures and decides not to come back, but given the likelihood they'll miss the playoffs (extremely high), it makes little sense to keep him now.

I understand what you?re saying but you have to look at Hartford and Joey Keane hes 6?0? righthanded finished 2nd in the fastest skater comp. at the AHL all-star game?even better than Kreiders time. And Keane has 26 pts in 44 AHL gms.

Show this thread

Tom Urtz Jr.

@TomUrtzJr

?

Jan 26

Here?s the times for all skaters. Keane No. 2 overall. 13.453 seconds.

Tom Urtz Jr.

@TomUrtzJr

?

Jan 26

Kreider?s time at NHL competition was 13.509 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And John Gilmour won fastest skater as an all-star, and racked up the points. Where's he now?