• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issue keeping Strome if they pay him like a 3rd line center. A year or maybe 2 years from now, if all goes the way it's supposed to (fingers crossed), Chytil will be our 2nd line center.

The guy's GOTTA learn how to win a faceoff though!!!

i hear you Ozzy , but what is important ,the numbers $$$$

Power Forwards, getting long-term deals.

Ryan Callahan, traded at age 28 from Rangers.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/callary01.html

Chis Kreider, on trading block for Rangers at age 28?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kreidch01.html

Forwards' peak scoring is at age 28, defencemen peak at 29

https://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054

'Brander's team also found that forwards:

Improve more quickly than they decline and typically begin "a significant decline in their early 30s."

Perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 32 years old.'

At his best, Kreider needs to be a physical presence around the net. That style of play grinds a player down. Any deal longer than 5 years, you're probably getting Kreider on the decline. He's got good trade value for someone looking to make a Cup run this year.

New York Rangers trade Chris Kreider to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick and RW Jordan Kyrou. (Rangers retain 50 percent of Kreider’s $4.625 million cap hit.)

My take: Yes, it’s a high price to pay. Teams don’t spend first-round picks at the deadline like they’re candy anymore. But here’s what I do know so far: Eight teams have informed the Rangers they’ve got Kreider at the top of their wish list. And the Rangers are looking for at least the return they got on Kevin Hayes a year ago at the deadline. The Jets gave up a first-round pick and winger Brendan Lemieux for renting out pending UFA Hayes. Now, Hayes is a centre, Kreider is a winger. But Kreider currently is the top of the rental class.

The Blues have other young forward prospects coming up the pipeline. I’m sure they would hate giving up the promising Kyrou, 21, but Kreider is such a nice fit with his playing style on the Blues, who are eager to defend their Stanley Cup title. Maybe the Blues can try to condition the first-round pick to make sure they get out of the first round of the playoffs at least. But given the serious interest in Kreider, I’m not sure that’s going to be an option. It’s not clear yet if Vladimir Tarasenko will be back before the playoffs, and that has major cap implications, but the Rangers retaining gives the Blues more breathing room either way.

https://theathletic.com/1578696/2020/02/03/lebrun-six-specific-trade-deadline-moves-that-make-a-lot-of-sense/

--

LeBrun's thinking Kreider's going to get a 1st and Kyrou from the Blues.

I'd be alright with that.

Strome, 26 pacing 75 points.

Krieder, 29 pacing 55 points.

So, yea, if you're paying both based on 1 year...Fuck it, you don't understand the cap anyway. I don't have the time or the crayons to do this.

I understand the Cap enough to know that teams have found a way to keep their core together. Hopefully the NYR can do the same. Chris Kreider and Ryan Strome bring different elements to this team. All you talk about is the cap. BTW, no need to use the F word when addressing me. Ta ta, Petey.

I understand the Cap enough to know that teams have found a way to keep their core together. Hopefully the NYR can do the same. Chris Kreider and Ryan Strome bring different elements to this team. All you talk about is the cap. BTW, no need to use the F word when addressing me. Ta ta, Petey.
So post your fair contract for Kreider and how we can keep the core together, Jimmy.

https://theathletic.com/1578696/2020/02/03/lebrun-six-specific-trade-deadline-moves-that-make-a-lot-of-sense/

LeBrun's thinking Kreider's going to get a 1st and Kyrou from the Blues.

I'd be alright with that.

Well, he says it’s a trade that makes sense to him.

I think he’s over cooking it personally. I’d be surprised if the Blues give up Kyrou for a rental.

I think he’s over cooking it personally. I’d be surprised if the Blues give up Kyrou for a rental.

The Blues got a taste last year and they know they still have a win now team.. Banners fly forever as they say. That is exactly the kind of trade partner you want, a Cup is right there- they know what it takes- and they are willing to say fuck it to go for another shot.

And as far as returns go in general, no reason not to ask for the world, you might just find someone who just cant say no- like a Bob Gainey

The only problem I have, if kreider has to go, with trading him specifically to the defending champs is that it’s the most likely way to get the last 1st round pick if they repeat. That basically is the same as an early 2nd round so it’s devalued a tad. Obviously only contenders are going to want Kreids but still.

The Blues got a taste last year and they know they still have a win now team.. Banners fly forever as they say. That is exactly the kind of trade partner you want, a Cup is right there- they know what it takes- and they are willing to say fuck it to go for another shot.

And as far as returns go in general, no reason not to ask for the world, you might just find someone who just cant say no- like a Bob Gainey

I suppose.

Kyrou, as far as I understand, is extremely highly regarded in St Louis. He's been very good in the AHL by all accounts and is now with the big club.

It just seems like a very steep pay for a guy like Kreider if you look at what's been the going rate the past few deadlines.

I'd obviously love to be wrong.

Agreed. He's their top prospect right now. I would be shocked to see him dealt for Kreider when Taylor Hall couldn't even get a top prospect. Kyrou is good enough that I'd almost take him straight up for Kreider. He's such a strong skater that you at least wouldn't miss Kreider's speed. A first on top of him is just a bucket of gravy.

The only problem I have, if kreider has to go, with trading him specifically to the defending champs is that it?s the most likely way to get the last 1st round pick if they repeat. That basically is the same as an early 2nd round so it?s devalued a tad. Obviously only contenders are going to want Kreids but still.

I hear you ,but the rangers would be getting a good prospect in Kyrou,so the low first rounder doesn't hurt to much

Agreed. He's their top prospect right now. I would be shocked to see him dealt for Kreider when Taylor Hall couldn't even get a top prospect. Kyrou is good enough that I'd almost take him straight up for Kreider. He's such a strong skater that you at least wouldn't miss Kreider's speed. A first on top of him is just a bucket of gravy.

I can see the Blues going "all in" this year...their window is wide open, and their team is built very well for another deep playoff run. Kreider would be a very good add, and bring them even more size, speed and another net front presence. The price of a Stanley Cup is expensive, so I'm glad we keep the asking price high.

I don't know much about Kyrou though...'got some research to do on him ;)

I can see the Blues going "all in" this year...their window is wide open, and their team is built very well for another deep playoff run. Kreider would be a very good add, and bring them even more size, speed and another net front presence. The price of a Stanley Cup is expensive, so I'm glad we keep the asking price high.

I don't know much about Kyrou though...'got some research to do on him ;)

Of the 3 or 4 best fit places for Kreider, St. Louis is definitely on that list. If they feel they can repeat, which they should because they can, he’s probably worth a bit more. And a bunch of teams being involved and making offers on him hopefully drives the price up.

Still hard to count on a top prospect as the return.

Possible if there’s a bidding war, but remains to be seen. Always rare to see a rental fetch that price.

Of the 3 or 4 best fit places for Kreider, St. Louis is definitely on that list. If they feel they can repeat, which they should because they can, he’s probably worth a bit more. And a bunch of teams being involved and making offers on him hopefully drives the price up.

Still hard to count on a top prospect as the return.

Possible if there’s a bidding war, but remains to be seen. Always rare to see a rental fetch that price.

Those Championship banners never die, 7!! If St Louis is smart, they buck up and grab what they need. Those guys look pretty primed to give it another go this spring!! I'd love to see us land a solid, young, promising prospect! Crossing my fingers, my man!! ;)