• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

If I was Kreider, I'd be thinking this is the time to strike. He's currently on about his best hot streak of his career, and in the first 25 games I think he was damn near invisible.

My question is, where the hell was this guy all along??? That's the shit that makes me wonder if this is all just a "I'm playing for my big contract deal, and then turn off the jets and coast" kinda thing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was Kreider, I'd be thinking this is the time to strike. He's currently on about his best hot streak of his career, and in the first 25 games I think he was damn near invisible.

My question is, where the hell was this guy all along??? That's the shit that makes me wonder if this is all just a "I'm playing for my big contract deal, and then turn off the jets and coast" kinda thing.

he's on a hot streak. he'll cool down

Boston Bruins get: LW Chris Kreider

New York Rangers get: 2020 first-round pick, RW Anders Bjork, 2021 conditional pick

Rental prices are often higher than they end up being worth, and by all accounts, Kreider is the top player available, which only makes it more expensive. With other teams likely courting the Rangers for a deal, it behooves New York to let this go a bit and see if it can maximize return. Landing a late first-round pick is only semi-helpful, as it's harder to land an impact prospect in that range, especially this year. Meanwhile, Bjork is an NHL-ready player who is 23 years old and a restricted free agent with arbitration rights after this season. He's a depth player but still has upside to give the Rangers' bottom six a boost.

The last pick is more of a sweetener that could be tied to some salary gymnastics to make sure the Bruins are cap-compliant if they need the Rangers to retain some money. The Rangers get another package for the future and would have the option to re-sign Kreider in the offseason. -- Chris Peters, hockey prospects analyst

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28647793/nhl-trade-deadline-proposals-six-trade-suggestions-teams-needs

ESPN article trying to put together trades that would help both teams. I think this return is a little light for Kreider but what do I know....

Pierre LeBrun said on Trade Bait program Gorton and Kreider's agent are to speak for the first time in the next few days. This is about exactly when the first conversation with Hayes's agent took place last year. Nothing came of that, of course.

Exactly.

A number of us put this out there in July and August of last year

Clearly they have and have had no real intention on keeping him

If they had, why shop him last year at draft and why wait till 2-3 weeks before deadline to talk to his agent.

Then the Kreider fanboys came out, shouted us down, and said that it meant nothing.

And..... here we are. With Kreider on his way out the door

Exactly.

A number of us put this out there in July and August of last year

Clearly they have and have had no real intention on keeping him

If they had, why shop him last year at draft and why wait till 2-3 weeks before deadline to talk to his agent.

Then the Kreider fanboys came out, shouted us down, and said that it meant nothing.

And..... here we are. With Kreider on his way out the door

I really don't know what any of this means. Plenty of contract extensions get done in the days/weeks leading up to the trade deadline. Just because Hayes' didn't get done (which I don't think the Rangers were all that interested in doing) doesn't necessarily mean Kreider's doesn't get done. If the contract price is right, I'd much rather have Kreider than a late 1st rounder and bottom 6 prospect.

I really don't know what any of this means. Plenty of contract extensions get done in the days/weeks leading up to the trade deadline. Just because Hayes' didn't get done (which I don't think the Rangers were all that interested in doing) doesn't necessarily mean Kreider's doesn't get done. If the contract price is right, I'd much rather have Kreider than a late 1st rounder and bottom 6 prospect.

It means what we all said it meant 7-8 months ago.

That it was highly unlikely that Kreider was coming back. That he’d likely be dealt come deadline time.

And that the Rangers has virtually no designs on paying him

That it was highly unlikely that Kreider was coming back. That he’d likely be dealt come deadline time.

Then I don't understand the Kreider fanboy comment about getting shouted down. I agree that it is probably 80/20 that he gets dealt at this point but if he comes in at 5 years $7 mill a year, wouldn't you rather that then what the possible return could be (late 1st/not top prospect)?

Chances Kreider would re-sign for a team friendly deal for 1 year b/c of the cap situation the Rangers are in for next season, and then extend him Jan. 1st to the 5-6-7 year deal he/NYR could agree on? Slim to none?

What’s less than none? Lol

Then I don't understand the Kreider fanboy comment about getting shouted down. I agree that it is probably 80/20 that he gets dealt at this point but if he comes in at 5 years $7 mill a year, wouldn't you rather that then what the possible return could be (late 1st/not top prospect)?

When several posters stated that the evidence suggesting he was almost certainly not going to be extended, several other posters of the re-sign Kreider contingent stated that it did not suggest that.

Just people allowing their affinity for Kreider to cloud their vision on what was obvious in the summer.

That he was almost certainly gone in February

And here we are. Confirming what we knew in the summer

As for your other question, IDK. It’s a deep draft. And it would depend on who the prospect was.

I like Kreider

I see his value

He’s playing great hockey right now

But in general I’m leery of power forwards. Even ones with his speed and conditioning.

Those guys just break down in their early 30’s.

I’ll agree that Kreider on a 5 year deal is fairly palatable. And 5 years is also the lowest realistic term he’d take. 6-7 million in any term is fair for him

But it’s also unrealistic to think he’d leave money on the table, because that seldom happens

But at that price, keeping Kreider on any term likely means sacrificing someone else

This is the tightrope that is the cap era NHL.

Can't players get sports insurance to cover for future salary loss in the event of an injury?

I know in baseball, the organization gets insurance in case a player gets hurt (long-term/career ending types). I don't know if athletes themselves insure themselves.

Well that's why he's a ~25G and ~50 point guy. If he was this guy all year round, he'd be a ~40G and ~80 point guy. Guess how much you'd be paying for that?

That it was highly unlikely that Kreider was coming back. That he?d likely be dealt come deadline time.

Once the Rangers signed Panarin and Trouba it was handwriting on wall time for Kreider. He is sure making it difficult with this latest stretch though.

51 games into the year and he only has 19 goals yet we are making it sound like he's close to potting 40. He's never even scored 30 before. 6.5 x 5 years and only because we are overpaying his loyalty.

You have a point. Mike Hoffman has scored more than Kreider and makes $5.2 mill a year...granted he's older and his contract years don't necessarily match up to Kreider's.

It just comes down to it. If he specifically wants to be a Ranger and believes in the process here, he will probably ha e to leave a bit of money on the table. Not a lowball but a million or so. Doubtful he does that especially with the rangers throwing money at Panarin and Trouba but every Ufa period is a bit different than the other.

I won't hold my breath though for that to happen.

You have a point. Mike Hoffman has scored more than Kreider and makes $5.2 mill a year...granted he's older and his contract years don't necessarily match up to Kreider's.

Lucic got 6m a few years ago, and he had better stats. Adjust for inflation.

Yes, this why Dan Blackburn had to retire. So he could collect.

That's what I thought. I know football players have done this. So I'm wondering why not a 1 year team friendly deal, with a good faith promise of a 5-6 year extension on Jan 1. Kreider can purchase a 6 month insurance policy in case the worst happens. With more cap space, you can even up the AAV a bit on the extension to A) cover the cost of the insurance Kreider would have to pay to do this for the Rangers, and B) consider it a bonus for doing it.

For 20-21: 6 X 1

Jan 1st: 7.5 X 5

That's a combined 6 years for 43.5M (7.25M AAV).

Rangers get a team friendly deal in the year they need it before they have a lot more cap space to work with. Kreider gets as much, and possibly more, than he could get otherwise.

Would you pay $1m more per year if he accepted a trade and returned in the offseason?

Oooo that's a good one.

On one hand, that would take time to put together with Kreider. And the silence in their talks indicates it may be too late.

On the other, the "lack of talks" could just be total bullshit, a front to cover for such a scheme.