• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin [Only] Has Eyes for New York?

Phil

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, and I know I'll get roasted for it: Panarin really strikes me as one of those kinds of players that's dominant elsewhere and pedestrian in New York. I see us spending $12 mil (even though he allegedly "only" has eyes for NY, we'll pay at market value or above per our usual) per year for 7 years, and in his prime we'll get maximum 60 points out of him, likely 50. 15 goals, 35 assists. And I'm not saying he's a byproduct of his linemates. Pierre-Luc Dubois isn't exactly Sidney Crosby. I'm just saying that the type of game he plays and the type of player he is just SCREAMS disappointment in NY. I'd much rather go after Seguin personally.

He has to make it to market first.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good points on both sides, I just would not under any circumstances pay the guy 11-12M. I don't think he's worth that. Very good player nowhere near a Taveres etc. Would I like to have the guy, sure he could be a great piece but not imo a game changer or someone that carries a team.

Good points on both sides, I just would not under any circumstances pay the guy 11-12M. I don't think he's worth that. Very good player nowhere near a Taveres etc. Would I like to have the guy, sure he could be a great piece but not imo a game changer or someone that carries a team.
Yea, must have been all those 40 point guys that got Columbus to the playoffs.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Great thread. I like the conservative vibe I'm getting here in that no one is in a hurry to put the cart before the horse. I hope management is thinking along the same lines.

The Panarin add or no add is an important discussion to have. However it should only be done if you have evidence that the youth has developed enough to take the next step. If Kravstov is what they think he is still most likely 3 years away.

Maybe Panarin is the right guy but at the wrong time. I'm not saying I want to see a tank job this year, but if next year's draft is deeper than this one just past, I can have patience to bank picks once again so I can really get the prospect pool over flowing.

Firstly, if the picks pan out and Gorton is smart, then the players you listed should be taking up a BIG amount of the cap because they'd be signed to Barkov-like deals after their ELCs expire. So let's go conservative and say Chytil, Kravtsov and Miller pan out...Plus a goalie. That's a lot of money.

Secondly, it's all about timing. It's not the amount of picks you have, it's where they are in their development. You don't really know what you have in any of the picks/prospects/guys we got in trade right now. You'll know a little more after this season. But you sign Panarin and they bust out, or get Sauered, or whatever...Then you've got a guy making 10-11 mil for 8 years and your team kinda sucks.

That's why it's smarter to wait. There are always players who will want to play in NY.

Yes,

That's a good reality check.

While I kinda agree with Phil that a lot of these young studs never make it to free agency for us to get a shot at them, let alone with advance knowledge they even want to be here, (assuming the rumors are true) and I also agree you gotta take the chance when you get a chance at a game breaker ... while I agree with that ... I am getting more amenable to the idea of timing. We've seen how a Callahan, Stepan, Miller, Kreider, McDonagh, etc etc can prompt decisions and force your hand. Some of that is the natural state of things in a cap constrained league. You've gotta know when to hold em and when to fold 'em, and make the right decisions about the right players. and you can't get too deeep in the financial hole that too many long-term high dolalr contracts can put you in at the wrong time. So yes, timing vs. opportunity, that's going to be the tension Gorton will have to wrestle with.

Fortunately he has 10 months to worry about making that decision on Panarin. A lot of water will have passed under the bridge, but in "future" terms, not that much.

Simply can't commit to this until you see how this season plays out for Panarin and for the talent on hand here.

Think under Tortarella it's really hard to get a handle on offensive-oriented players,and that could be a problem here. How many points more could he be expected to get here or anywhere?

Great thread. I like the conservative vibe I'm getting here in that no one is in a hurry to put the cart before the horse. I hope management is thinking along the same lines.

The Panarin add or no add is an important discussion to have. However it should only be done if you have evidence that the youth has developed enough to take the next step. If Kravstov is what they think he is still most likely 3 years away.

Maybe Panarin is the right guy but at the wrong time. I'm not saying I want to see a tank job this year, but if next year's draft is deeper than this one just past, I can have patience to bank picks once again so I can really get the prospect pool over flowing.

To be clear, almost all of us are talking next year. Aside from one or two exceptions no one wants to trade for him. I'm adamantly against it and not in the minority. We have other priorities this year including sorting out a major coaching and roster change. Rookie HC and players, to boot.

We also need to let a natural evolution occur and let this year be bad or mediocre, if that is what it is. The result could be another very high pick, plus additional picks/prospects coming from trades. We are like Santa Claus, we want to find out who's good and who's bad and everything in between. What are the individual's strengths and weaknesses, as well as the team's. Also, who fits this system, under this leadership.

Once all that sorts itself out thru June, mgmt can then be in a better position to decide if there is real good value pursuing Panarin. If he gets to UFA. So much will unfold, there is no need to make a determination now.

Rooskies with wheels, like Federov and Datsyuk, seem to last well into their thirties. Bure could have played forever if he hadn't blown out his knees. At 50 he would have still been faster than half the players in the league and still had great hands.

Rooskies with wheels, like Federov and Datsyuk, seem to last well into their thirties. Bure could have played forever if he hadn't blown out his knees. At 50 he would have still been faster than half the players in the league and still had great hands.

True, but Panarin isn?t in the same league as the above mentioned players.

True, but Panarin isn’t in the same league as the above mentioned players.

Kind of hard to look at his 2 seasons in Chicago and this last one in Columbus and not think his offense is being a bit stunted under Tortarella. Without getting into whether that's good or bad for their team success, it's a reality. In fairness Quinn is really an unknown despite all the talk of physical play. But can't imagine he's as defense/shot blocking oriented as Tortarella because nobody else is like that.

We're probably gonna be revisiting all of this in about 10 months if the kids don't weasel into the 7/8 slot.

Dude has been in the league for 3 years. He's 7th in scoring over that span at nearly a PPG clip. He's really good and he's going to get paid a shit ton.. His talent and worth really shouldn't be the debate here.. The potential fit in a rebuild, that's another story.

• 2 months later...

Archived