• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin [Only] Has Eyes for New York?

Phil

Panarin is one of the more well rounded players. That's what makes him dangerous, he'll take what you give him. If you take away a pass, he'll shoot and vice versa.

He's also not a defensive liability.

That said, I don't want to pay be paying him top dollar at 36.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Panarin is one of the more well rounded players. That's what makes him dangerous, he'll take what you give him. If you take away a pass, he'll shoot and vice versa.

He's also not a defensive liability.

That said, I don't want to pay be paying him top dollar at 36.

Well good thing a 7 year deal would end when he's 34

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I maintain that there's only two types of "stars" that succeed in New York: the "too big to fail" category (legendary players like Messier, Gretzky, Jagr, Lindros, etc.), and the came up through the system category (Leetch, Kovalev, Henrik, a couple of the current guys, etc.). Tertiary players that don't have huge expectations (like Zibanejad, Brassard before him, etc.) do almost exactly what's expected of them. Everyone else comes here and gets bitten by the New York bug.

Panarin does not fall in to the "too big to fail" category. He falls in to the Nash/MSL/Drury/Gomez category of All Star player on the team he's on, earns a big payday, and then drops off substantially when he gets here. I'll put myself out on the line here, fully expecting to be held accountable if Panarin comes here and he dominates: he will NOT live up to expectations. We will pay him upwards of $8 mil per year to get at most a 50-60 point player. Good, but not great, and certainly not worth the paycheck. Mark my words: Panarin will become the latest in a long line of "stars" that we retroactively try to justify with words like "intangibles" and "two-way player." I mean, there were people on here that were defending Rick Nash because of his PK and defensive ability, also arguing that due to his status he draws attention on the ice and frees up space for other players to do what he's supposed to be doing. We'll get the same with Panarin. I just don't see him as the type of player that makes or breaks this team.

• 2 months later...
“I’m telling you this: For a mid-market team like Columbus, or any team - and I’m going to include Pittsburgh into this grouping, St. Louis, I mean these are teams with good rosters - for them to get in on Panarin, they’re going to have to overpay,” indicated Dreger. “They’re going to have to overpay, because I think geographically that matters to him.

“So I’m looking at the Islanders - I think Panarin would love to play with Mat Barzal. I’m looking at even the Philadelphia Flyers, depending on what happens. I didn’t know this, maybe you guys did and it slipped under my radar - apparently Philadelphia came real close to acquiring Panarin at the draft last year.

“... I don’t know what the components were, but I know that Philadelphia felt like they were pretty close to getting Panarin at the draft.

“The point being Artemi Panarin is going to have his pick of the litter, and I think they’re going to steal a page from the Maple Leafs. I think he’s going to get that seven-year term and $11 million AAV.”

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/1/29/dreger-on-potential-panarin-suitors-and-contract-range

"?The point being Artemi Panarin is going to have his pick of the litter, and I think they?re going to steal a page from the Maple Leafs. I think he?s going to get that seven-year term and $11 million AAV.?"

Who is they? Any of the teams listed or was he referring to one team specifically?

" The point being Artemi Panarin is going to have his pick of the litter, and I think they?re going to steal a page from the Maple Leafs. I think he?s going to get that seven-year term and $11 million AAV.?"

Who are they? Any of the teams listed or was he referring to one team specifically?

I am sure that team would not be Columbus even though he has said that he does not want to negotiate his contract until the season is over, it depends if they would agree on such 7 years/$11mm per year

"“The point being Artemi Panarin is going to have his pick of the litter, and I think they’re going to steal a page from the Maple Leafs. I think he’s going to get that seven-year term and $11 million AAV.”"

Who is they? Any of the teams listed or was he referring to one team specifically?

I think he means everyone who is going to bid on him.

Columbus would be able to go 8 years.

Archived