• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin [Only] Has Eyes for New York?

Phil

Do it!

It will likely be 6-7 years before we are paying top dollar for talent we are drafting right now anyway.

We can afford a couple of well choosen free agents given the way roster is structured. Plus when Hayes, Zuc, Shatty, Hank and others are off the cap we'll be situated nicely.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as the contract is fair. If he’s asking 12mil then never mind

Yeah, was thinking something just over 10 mil should work unless the our competition is a no state tax team. Wonder if 6 years would be a consideration since he could always play a couple of years in his mid 30's in the KHL.

No way we trade for him, that would be a Carmelo like mistake. We are not dealing our 1st and we are not going for it this year.

No way I’m signing anyone in their late 20s to a 7 year massive contract with how this team sits today. Panarin is a great player and would be s massive upgrade but to what end? This team is three to four years away at best from contending. The later years of his contract are the important ones if those are the years the rangers expect to contend. I’m not gambling 10+million hoping he is still the same player at the end of this contract. There will be plenty of players willing to take a contract from the rangers and the rangers with cap space is a powerful position. The quick fix Idea is a dangerous one. If I can get Hughes, stone,and trouba too then sure it may make sense. But at what cost? That’s a ton of money. The rangers should do what they are doing now. Build from the ground. Build a foundation of homegrown talent. When that talent grows up a bit and forms a core of a contender then go supplement it with players like panarin.

Next summer we will have a better idea of where this team sits and the timeline that’s realistic. As of today it looks to early to me to make that kind of commitment. Panarin would be great but the rangers will need much more to win. The best way to get that is to draft and develop and that takes time. Probably the time of panarins prime years.

You have to get talent when talent is available. If Panarin is there and wants in, you don't turn your nose up at him because you don't think he fits your projection. Especially because he would, alone, accelerate those projections.

By next summer, the Rangers could theoretically have made eight first-round picks in three years, and then have added Panarin to a team with Zibanejad and Skjei, among others, in prime position to become a contender.

And this says nothing of the possibility of adding Stone or Karlsson to boot. Both of whom would also accelerate the rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They are the rangers not the coyotes. It’s nyc not Columbus. Players will always want to come. I’m all for adding talent. Paying $80m over 7 years isn’t turning over a stone and finding talent. There is a time and a place to make that move. Having that discussion before year 1 even starts of a rebuild is not that time.

There will always be talent there to grab via trade or free agency - Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Panarin. Just need to strike at the right time

Not really. Most of it never makes it to free agency, which only leaves trades, which subtract from your team or future to pull off.

When a 27-year-old point-per-game scorer hits the market and wants you, you sign him. Hard stop.

They are the rangers not the coyotes. It?s nyc not Columbus. Players will always want to come. I?m all for adding talent. Paying $80m over 7 years isn?t turning over a stone and finding talent. There is a time and a place to make that move. Having that discussion before year 1 even starts of a rebuild is not that time.

Players is a catch all term that includes a load of bad ones. I don't care that "players" want to be here. I care that a relatively young superstar wants to.

Not really. Most of it never makes it to free agency, which only leaves trades, which subtract from your team or future to pull off.

When a 27-year-old point-per-game scorer hits the market and wants you, you sign him. Hard stop.

Who?s to say he makes it to free agency then? By your theory, he will get traded.

Nothing. Except for the reports that he is eying the Rangers, coupled with the speculation that they won't trade for him. Deductive reasoning says that means he intends to test UFA and join the Rangers that way. It's not guaranteed. Nothing is. But there's a stronger probability of that happening now than there was last week.

No way I’m signing anyone in their late 20s to a 7 year massive contract with how this team sits today.

As this team sits today, totally agree. We need this entire year and next draft to sort out the entire future roster makeup. It goes way beyond evaluations and projections. Additionally, I'm not a fan of building a team that way because most high-priced longterm UFAs don't work out.

However, if the youth looks very promising and a few young vets progress, then we add Hughes (or RW Kakko, or one of 3 dynamic playmaking C's in Krebs, Newhook or Turcotte) plus other high picks, we're restocked. Add Fox to the blueline and our need becomes a reliable top line game changer. Why not keep our assets and use the freed-up cap space (Hayes, Zuc and others) to sign the healthiest, lowest miles UFA? Sure would be fun to watch. Let's not forget that's important too.

I need to see the team this year, and Panarin, before determining how strongly to consider him. Yet, let's not rule him out.

Panarin is a great player and would be s massive upgrade but to what end? This team is three to four years away at best from contending.

The bold is just where I can't agree. It is possible, but also possible that we could begin competing as soon as next year. The important piece is that we have till July 1st and after the draft to decide what to do with free agency.

The later years of his contract are the important ones if those are the years the rangers expect to contend. I’m not gambling 10+million hoping he is still the same player at the end of this contract.

He's the kind of player who could put up 200+ goals in the next 5 years. He's the type that can be effective in his early 30's. Who cares much what he does after that.

There will be plenty of players willing to take a contract from the rangers and the rangers with cap space is a powerful position.

I hope we can leverage the extra cap space this year (still can help a team take on Karlsson). Not many perfect fit stars hit the market, just turning 28, in their prime, healthy and want to play here.

The quick fix Idea is a dangerous one. If I can get Hughes, stone,and trouba too then sure it may make sense. But at what cost? That’s a ton of money. The rangers should do what they are doing now. Build from the ground. Build a foundation of homegrown talent.

Correct. No way should we do a quick fix, only if things are really coming together. The Rangers should not do anything to disrupt building a foundation of homegrown talent.

Doubt we could afford Trouba and Stone, after signing Panarin. However, one might be possible, but only if it feels like one of the last important pieces.

Next summer we will have a better idea of where this team sits and the timeline that’s realistic.

Exactly! Why speculate out further than this year and the draft, as that comes into focus. There is so so much to learn in the next 10-11 months.

Nothing. Except for the reports that he is eying the Rangers, coupled with the speculation that they won't trade for him. Deductive reasoning says that means he intends to test UFA and join the Rangers that way. It's not guaranteed. Nothing is. But there's a stronger probability of that happening now than there was last week.

Also that he won't negotiate with Columbus and rumor is he may have to be traded as a rental because he is reluctant to negotiate an extension anywhere.

That said, if Tampa trades for him there is a reasonable danger he signs with them. He is friends with Kuch and they are a good team in a no tax state. If Tampa wants Karlsson, we are there to help. If they need help to sign Panarin, forgetaboutit.

I'm on the fence. Panarin is likely 31/32 by the time this team is making a playoff dent.

While it's not old, how many times have we paid max dollars/assets to watch guys get old right before our eyes? Richards, MSL (p/g when he got here) are just 2 examples. Nash was so hot and cold as was Gaby.

It's not that I don't think he's worth the money or don't want him at 35...it's that guys suck when they get here. It's almost automatic.

I'm on the fence. Panarin is likely 31/32 by the time this team is making a playoff dent.

While it's not old, how many times have we paid max dollars/assets to watch guys get old right before our eyes? Richards, MSL (p/g when he got here) are just 2 examples. Nash was so hot and cold as was Gaby.

It's not that I don't think he's worth the money or don't want him at 35...it's that guys suck when they get here. It's almost automatic.

But off-season Josh is like,

If they get a Panarin and Karlsson, defense bounces back, young guys show up, older guys perform, Lundqvist on drugs, they could be this years Vegas!

I’d give up Hayes, Namestnikov, Spooner even Zuccarello and some picks for either for this season or sometime prior to free agency.

Just like every other player being linked to the Rangers.

Over the years? Really? Almost every single superstar on the way out is linked to the Rangers.

With this much smoke. I'm not talking about just general interest from one side or the other. This is a lot smokier than your average rumor.

Archived