• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton: Team Lacked Toughness and Grit; Will Be Addressed

Phil

While RJ is wrong about the positions, you're not correct here except on the rush. Once the zone is gained, this goes out the window.

Yes, I know. Point remains, positionally, they saw each other a lot. All those historic playoff battles, when the rivalry was at its peak, were between Girardi and Ovie. I was gonna post some highlights, but 90% of the clips I could find are Ovechkin leveling Girardi...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree with that.

My point is that Scheifele (I could obviously have used a different player for my example), even though he is smaller than Hayes, uses his physique to give his team an edge. He goes to the dirty areas and wins battles. He gives and takes punishment. He can deliver big open ice hits when called for. He crashes the net. He gets in front of the net and is really difficult to move.

All this and the other stuff makes for a helluva player. Looking forward to the Jets game tonight. Lot of talent has been accumulated. Last night's nashville game and crowd, just rocked. Fun watch that made a couple of other games, mundane in comparison.

Hayes, albeit not the same type of player, could do a lot of the same in terms of making his physique count. The same is true for Kreider imo.

Kreids game should be looked at differently. His game as a speedy power forward requires him to get in front, screen, F1 and gain possession on the walls. All these things AV encouraged him to do. He'd also stick up for a teammates and tally his 2 fights a year. The rest of his physicality seemed neutered.

A combination of the Price incident and AV neutering the physicality out of him, in order to reduce penalties. He is also so damn powerful, he kills people even at a slow speed. Almost seems like he pulls up sometimes, just cause he's a nice guy.

Our new coach needs to allow him to find his hard checking game. I'm hoping Miller (oh wait) and Vesey also see improvement in this area (and others), with AV gone.

Edit: Seems like a good idea that Kreids is going to focus on his speed more and play at a weight that he feels most comfortable at. He mentioned twice that he feels so much faster at his reduced weight that he is going to approach next year with the same weight goal. I'm optimistic about Kreids and Zib.

Yes, 3-4 months ago, when we were still fighting for a wild card spot, I didn't want to blow the team up. Now the team has been blown up. Thanks for your service McD. I don't hate McD. I don't have a grudge against him. I wish him the best. With the Rangers not in the playoffs, someone has to win. I hope its McD and Tampa. I'm not blaming anything on McD. It is what it is. I want our next captain to have the fire to get in someone's face if they run one of our players, to throw his silver medal in the stands.

I completely agree with this.

Smith was garbage and was sent down for other reasons as well, I hardly think it was one one instance. If I remember right his fight turned the momentum of the game around and they lost. You have to be smart at times, he doesn't seem to possess that skill or hasn't displayed it here.

Somebody mentioned Farnham, that guy is nothing but a human punching bag with no NHL worthy skills whatsoever. Avery would be a better example, Farnham has no business in this league.

Yet he let Mcleod play, contributing nothing and lost just about every fight he had here. If a team loses a game due to a lost fight, your team is full of excuse makers. Win or lose the fight should inject life into the team. I definitely believe theres more to the Smith situation.

I mentioned Farnham. Hes a pest and not much of a fighter, and I noted that. This team employed Paul Carey (whom i actually liked) Mcleod, Holland, Cracknell, Fogarty, Catenacci, and Desharnais. Atleast Farnham would have brought something to the table. These other retread shit players brought next to nothing. A team lacking guts and energy could use a shot in the arm. It helped big time a few years ago with Carcillo. As long as they can skate, these types can be useful.

some of this just makes me smile - no doubt AV was telling guys, do not shoot the puck especially you Hayes stick handle into a turnover, get away from the net and don't you ever throw a check. I'm sure he ripped Smith for the timing of a fight that turned the momentum of a game, McIlrath was a bust from the word go, personally would I have enjoyed watching him at least fight every night sure - would of enjoyed it more watching the videos of that happening in Hartford. I think there's toughness and then a willingness to drop the gloves two totally different things. McLeod is a fighter and hits people he also sucks at hockey. I also don't think one guy or even two that play a tough game can magically turn guys like Vecsey, Hayes, Names. Zibs, Buch and several others into guys that are tough to play against. Said it yesterday we're expecting some bigger thing from the two kids next year, they are far from being tough to play against so essentially that's two more slots taken up by guys that play a soft game.

I truly don't believe you can teach guys to play a game that isn't in their makeup.

I don't know, bit he sure gave Hayes ample chances to play through his struggles and continue to stick handle into the corner. Meanwhile a guy like Miller would take chances and at times screw upna defensive assignment, which would land him a spot in the stands or on the 4th line... Again, is it coincidence that players come here playing one way then turn into a different player months later? Same results from different types of players. From shooters to energy players. Once AV gets a hold of them, they become these lifeless zombies... Was it the room? McD? Miller? Stepan? Is that why they blew it up? Could be.

I think we agree on most things but Farnham has 60 something NHL games and in I think 7 years and 50 of them were for a pathetic Devils team where the fans thought he was a joke. If you really want to laugh look at his fight card and how many fights he's actually won. I don;t think stopping the other guys fists with your face brings any kind of momentum.

Even without the two fights at the end of the Jets/Wild game the game was fun to watch because guys were hitting with a purpose. Something we haven't seen in many years.

I think we agree on most things but Farnham has 60 something NHL games and in I think 7 years and 50 of them were for a pathetic Devils team where the fans thought he was a joke. If you really want to laugh look at his fight card and how many fights he's actually won. I don;t think stopping the other guys fists with your face brings any kind of momentum.

Even without the two fights at the end of the Jets/Wild game the game was fun to watch because guys were hitting with a purpose. Something we haven't seen in many years.

You seem to miss the point i was making about the player. Hrs an energy player. He sticks up for his team. He can agitate. If you look at his fight card ypu will notice a theme. He goes after players who took liberties on his team mates. Often drops gloves with much bigger opponents. Donwe really care what Devil's fans have to say about anything?

Its not even about Farnham. Its about that kind of player and attitude that is needed. Go put there and create energy. Set dome kind of tone if your top forwards cant bring their game. Farnham is a AHL lifer, but he brings something to the table that the other 4-5 AHL lifers they had on the roster didn't. Feistyness and a willingness to put his body/face on the line to change the tone of the game.

You seem to miss the point i was making about the player. Hrs an energy player. He sticks up for his team. He can agitate. If you look at his fight card ypu will notice a theme. He goes after players who took liberties on his team mates. Often drops gloves with much bigger opponents. Donwe really care what Devil's fans have to say about anything?

Its not even about Farnham. Its about that kind of player and attitude that is needed. Go put there and create energy. Set dome kind of tone if your top forwards cant bring their game. Farnham is a AHL lifer, but he brings something to the table that the other 4-5 AHL lifers they had on the roster didn't. Feistyness and a willingness to put his body/face on the line to change the tone of the game.

And yet with that invaluable skillset, he can't stay in the lineup.

Maybe that skillset just isn't valuable?

McD is shouldering a lot of the blame here for an entire leadership group. It's OK for the C to be a player who's simply leading by example, but if that's the case...The A's need to exhibit the willingness to push back.

Again, we keep acting like AV didn't tell them to play a certain way...And a good captain isn't going to cross the coach. That's not leadership, either. I don't care what Jamie Benn may or may not do in a fictional scenario.

Stepan

Staal

Zuccarello

Nash

These guys are just not those guys. Kreider, Miller, Smith, they just fell in line or they lost ice time (especially the latter two).

Leadership comes from the top down. AV has a style (on and off the ice) and he wanted his leaders to perpetuate that style and culture. Is anyone shocked that Callahan was the captain while Torts was here? He embodies everything that Torts wanted from his team: hard work, never back down. There is no chance AV would want a firey, brash or outspoken captain because it?s the opposite of what he wants his teams to look like. Blake Wheeler is a great captain. He would never wear the C for AV. Doesn?t mean it?s right or wrong, it?s just different styles.

So yeah, Mac wasn?t that guy who?s gonna get in someone?s face but that?s not what AV wanted.

I get some on here don?t particularly like me and I really don?t care. I?m guessing though that if anyone else that you have an ounce of respect for said what I?m saying you would not continue this ridiculous argument. I?m a little surprised that there hasn?t been 1 other person here who takes exception to mcd being labeled like he is.

Fatty, I like you and your posts on this thread. You write well and some of your thoughtful posts on this topic (among others) are articulated beautifully. You're reading could improve, see post #66 on this thread. You've disregarded people who are essentially in agreement with you a few times, wrongly thinking you're the lonely wolf.

Kreider was a 22 year old rookie when AV became the coach, but sure, that's comparable to Jamie Benn.

Kreider was also cut by AV to start his first season here. He was probably sent to start in the A for the same reasons Torts wanted him down there, but who knows ?

Archived