• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton: Team Lacked Toughness and Grit; Will Be Addressed

Phil

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There no doubt Av coaching system is not gritty and probably encourages players not engage in physical play(since I still don't get, he was a physical in your face player), but let's be honest this is not a gritty lineup,there is quite a bit off finesse players on this team.

The Brooks article today in the post again points this out with Shattenkirk even stating there was no veteran accountability in the locker room.

Loved Mac but never agreed with him being captain.

i still think the Garden makes it way to comfortable to play here as well. that philosophy is the first thing that needs to change around here.

Gimme that toughness back, Skunk!!! :rofl:

We get to enjoy this stuff again soon, my good man!!!!

Who was the guy on here that said he was fed up with Gorton for letting AV go?

I would have been more pissed if AV stayed!

I am so sick and tired of watching Ranger Pussy Hockey!

Now don't get me wrong, i am not talking fighting all the time but there are times when you can't skate away! You have to get in there and give that nasty face scrub to the prick on the other team!

Hell i want a few pricks back on my team!

The Brooks article today in the post again points this out with Shattenkirk even stating there was no veteran accountability in the locker room.

i still think the Garden makes it way to comfortable to play here as well. that philosophy is the first thing that needs to change around here.

AMEN!:mactruck::thankyou::clap:

This is on Gorton as much as av. And I fucking hate av. The gm coming out and saying this does nothing but indict himself as anybody that has watched 3 games the past fours years already knew this. Why didn’t Gorton address this already. Also why are we bringing in guys like spooner and Namestnikov. Look up soft, there they are.

This is on Gorton as much as av. And I fucking hate av. The gm coming out and saying this does nothing but indict himself as anybody that has watched 3 games the past fours years already knew this. Why didn’t Gorton address this already. Also why are we bringing in guys like spooner and Namestnikov. Look up soft, there they are.

What trade partners at the deadline were going to give up grit and toughness guys, that are actually worth anything, when gearing up for a playoff run? He brought in Spooner and Names because they were available and have value. Between those 2, Hayes, Zucc, and Kreider, I bet at least two are traded in the off season.

I've been saying it for a year.

MSG cannot wait to throw a BS ceremony for every minor benchmark. I get they want to make players feel valued and give the less intelligent fans something to celebrate. Recall Dan Boyle, who was barely here, getting a silver stick for some number of games.Did roughly the same thing for Kevin Lowe way back and don't know how many others. Do that at practice or in warmups, if you're gonna do it at all. I understand MSG has no real summer programming, but if I never seen another episode of "Beginnings' or "The Mask" it will be too f__ing soon. Not saying Lundqvist hanging with John McEnroe is why the NYR sucked, but really, who wants to see that crap? Though may be before dumping John Moore for a box of used tape they could've seen they had a solid NHL defenseman, but I digress. Things like that are but one example of the silliness that may cause some players to lose focus. Tortarella clearly went too far in the other direction, but has to be a change to focus on the task at hand and not the surrounding nonsense.

Another brilliant deduction from the co-conspiratorial architect of the letter to the fans telling the world that the management in place has decided to give them the finger. Any person with 0/0 vision watching this team for the last number of years could have given him a heads up. And this guy is the GM that is going to be the lead man at the draft.

Who was the guy on here that said he was fed up with Gorton for letting AV go?

I would have been more pissed if AV stayed!

I am so sick and tired of watching Ranger Pussy Hockey!

Now don't get me wrong, i am not talking fighting all the time but there are times when you can't skate away! You have to get in there and give that nasty face scrub to the prick on the other team!

Hell i want a few pricks back on my team!

Me too skunk! I'm sick of watching teams run Hank and take liberties with our soft asses. Time to start a little return fire. It's not fighting...unless we have to, but some type of laying down the law again. "No one runs our 10 million dollar man without taking a solid 2-hander across the arms"....or at least a nice little "how do ya do" cross check in the back for some dirty shit.

It's hockey...it's always been that way and if you've played it that way...it's the unwritten code. You still see it today...not on the Rangers in the recent past, but I wanna see it going forward. To me its a form of team unison, and I like it. I will never mind a guy taking a penalty to stick up for one of his teammates.

What trade partners at the deadline were going to give up grit and toughness guys, that are actually worth anything, when gearing up for a playoff run? He brought in Spooner and Names because they were available and have value. Between those 2, Hayes, Zucc, and Kreider, I bet at least two are traded in the off season.

Fine. Then I will assume they won’t be here come next season. Once the trade market opens again he will trade those guys or others like them for that grit.

My point is that this has been a problem for years. This is not something they thought they had covered in their lineup and they just fell short this year. It should have been addressed long before this deadline and long before they decided to rebuild.

I'm a grit guy. I love that shit. I think it's incredibly important, as you have already seen in 2 of the 3 playoff games played this season, but I hope they have the foresight to not over do it. We also lack SKILL. We have a buch of 30-point blobs. Players who are neither skilled nor gritty. It's actually baffling how we've even made it this far.

It's more than just hitting, or having "4th liners" - its a mentality. A team mentality.

I've seen more camaraderie during a pick-up game.

Maloney goes nuts during the radio broadcasts.

He bitched Miller because he snowed the goalie, someone back him a whack and as Miller skated away, the defender snuffed him. Miller did nothing, nor did anyone else.

Maloney just goes, "My gosh." Then tore Miller a new asshole.

No push back, or spine, at all.

Maloney goes nuts during the radio broadcasts.

He bitched Miller because he snowed the goalie, someone back him a whack and as Miller skated away, the defender snuffed him. Miller did nothing, nor did anyone else.

Maloney just goes, "My gosh." Then tore Miller a new asshole.

No push back, or spine, at all.

That's AV ingrained though. We know Miller can throw 'em if he has to.

AV has to take a large part of the blame, but a lot of it is down to individuals as well.

Like I said, Kreider is a big boy and powerful skater and should be dominating physically out there. Hayes as well, doesn’t use his size and strength anywhere near enough.

It’s a bit embarrassing when you compare them to guys like Scheifele for instance.

That's AV ingrained though. We know Miller can throw 'em if he has to.

That's not entirely AV though.

What AV talked about was guys like Kreider and Smith getting "loose" and taking dumb penalties. I've also bitched when Zuccarello tries his Avery impression - the problem being, these guys arent Avery, and when they play with just "grit", they forget the game and are a detriment to the team.

But if you have a coach saying, "be careful" followed by a Captain saying "stop it guys", you end up with a bunch of pussies. There is a small line, and it takes a great mind to understand it. Unfortunately, leadership wanted people to stay back, and they stayed too far behind the line.

They are push overs. The entire season - way too easy to play against.

Archived