• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton: Team Lacked Toughness and Grit; Will Be Addressed

Phil

Too early to be sour on him, for sure.

Thanks for being open minded and seeing the point.

People are too caught up in a potential slieght to Stepan and missing it.

But what is your point? That you want a better player than Stepan with a 7OA pick? Ofcourse, everyone wants that. Im just saying based on previous drafts that it's not realistic.

I have good feeling about Lias. He's a smart, gritty, hard working swede with leadership attributes. You need that kind of players to win in the NHL. If he turns out to be a solid two way, 55+ points, PK'ing, hard hitting 2C I would be fine with that. That sounds like Stepan, but I dont really see much Stepan in him. More like a Kopitar-lite.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what is your point? That you want a better player than Stepan with a 7OA pick? Ofcourse, everyone wants that. Im just saying based on previous drafts that it's not realistic.

I have good feeling about Lias. He's a smart, gritty, hard working swede with leadership attributes. You need that kind of players to win in the NHL. If he turns out to be a solid two way, 55+ points, PK'ing, hard hitting 2C I would be fine with that. That sounds like Stepan, but I dont really see much Stepan in him. More like a Kopitar-lite.

This is my point: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?p=925582

Funny you mentioned Kopitar, I compared their styles (they just move around the ice similarly, IMO).

Setting your expectations high, but fair enough.

Funny you mentioned Kopitar, I compared their styles (they just move around the ice similarly, IMO).

Agree. I really dont see any Stepan in Lias, besides the fact that they both are supposed to be good two-way centers. People always try to compare prospects with players on the same team (or previously been) and that's just stupid.

Setting your expectations high, but fair enough.

Agree. I really dont see any Stepan in Lias, besides the fact that they both are supposed to be good two-way centers. People always try to compare prospects with players on the same team (or previously been) and that's just stupid.

It's just easier to relate.

I actually see him playing a similar game to Landeskog with a few differences. Lias isnt as much of a goal scorer, a bit smaller, better playmaker and better defensively (hopefully). But how they move on the ice, anticipate the play, get to dirty areas of the ice at the right time, responsible game, and exude an infectious character out on the ice.

NHL draft listed him at 5'11

his dad was 5'9, so I'm thinking 5'11 max.

Josh bringing the data! Lias' vitals, not good enough? How about his dads?! When can we expect the 23 and me ancestry and gene outlook report? Give it up for new advanced metrics.

Josh, while your effort is there, the info is still incomplete. Why are you are holding back the mom data? Ulterior motives?

Well in the spirit of full disclosure. Jessica, Lias' mom, is also 5'9' and pretty leggy. But that is not all. It is rumored Lias has acquired his mothers pipes. Get your mind out of the gutter, we are talking vocal chords here. Yes, Jessica has had success as a professional Sweedish singer. It may not have played a significant role in his selection as 7th overall, but make no mistake... it can't hurt to have his teammates enjoy listening to him. The Rangers did their homework and were well aware of the matriarch, her advanced stats and career profile.

This draft the team plans to expand their research. Mgmt believes it will unearth unique data that gives us a major advantage over all the competition. One report did leak about a psychological leadership profile, initiated by Dolan, that will reveal which players are destined to be future captains. I'm still skeptical.

Wow! You guys are actually debating Stepan. You do realize that Andersson was playing in the highest level Swedish hockey league?with grown men at 16. Stepan didn?t make Shattenkirk St.Marys varsity team til his junior year. Besides the trade of Stepan had to do with cap relief going forward as well. And Stepan was already starting to look slow on the ice?yeah I know you?re not gonna admit to that, but he was.

Keep in mind Stepan broke into the league at 20. Andersson will be 20 this coming year.

This debate won?t mean anything till Andersson has been in the league 3-5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

just a bit of tongue in cheek that went over like a lead balloon.

subject is grit / toughness. i'd advise we ran this steps/andersson discussion into the ground.

we have needed some snarl for years. point is you want a guy with that and who can play. cro magnum age in the nhl is extinct.

Off hand Kreider, Zuccs, Vesey, D?Angelo, Staal, Fast, Smith( yes, Smith, I think he?ll be back in shape and ready to play) even Buchnevich can all be nasty and annoying. Even Spooner when in Boston would channel his inner Marchand.

Again it?s a matter of whomever becomes the HC allowing them to do it.

Josh bringing the data! Lias' vitals, not good enough? How about his dads?! When can we expect the 23 and me ancestry and gene outlook report? Give it up for new advanced metrics.

Josh, while your effort is there, the info is still incomplete. Why are you are holding back the mom data? Ulterior motives?

Well in the spirit of full disclosure. Jessica, Lias' mom, is also 5'9' and pretty leggy. But that is not all. It is rumored Lias has acquired his mothers pipes. Get your mind out of the gutter, we are talking vocal chords here. Yes, Jessica has had success as a professional Sweedish singer. It may not have played a significant role in his selection as 7th overall, but make no mistake... it can't hurt to have his teammates enjoy listening to him. The Rangers did their homework and were well aware of the matriarch, her advanced stats and career profile.

This draft the team plans to expand their research. Mgmt believes it will unearth unique data that gives us a major advantage over all the competition. One report did leak about a psychological leadership profile, initiated by Dolan, that will reveal which players are destined to be future captains. I'm still skeptical.

Wrong chick, bro.

I'm sure her husband Johlm and her son Liam will enjoy this information.

Wow! You guys are actually debating Stepan. You do realize that Andersson was playing in the highest level Swedish hockey league?with grown men at 16. Stepan didn?t make Shattenkirk St.Marys varsity team til his junior year. Besides the trade of Stepan had to do with cap relief going forward as well. And Stepan was already starting to look slow on the ice?yeah I know you?re not gonna admit to that, but he was.

Keep in mind Stepan broke into the league at 20. Andersson will be 20 this coming year.

This debate won?t mean anything till Andersson has been in the league 3-5 years.

No, we are over Step and his mom. We've moved on to debating who is the real Lias Andersson and which hottie is really his mom.

His brother Noah. About to be 16 and play for F?rjestad's SuperElit team next season.

Now that is how you do data, people! I retire.

Again King, you are the King and asset to this website. Thanks for all the awesome prospect info/updates you give on the "In the System" part of this forum.

Off hand Kreider, Zuccs, Vesey, D?Angelo, Staal, Fast, Smith( yes, Smith, I think he?ll be back in shape and ready to play) even Buchnevich can all be nasty and annoying. Even Spooner when in Boston would channel his inner Marchand.

Again it?s a matter of whomever becomes the HC allowing them to do it.

Huge difference imo between annoying and nasty. Annoying is a mosquito bite that 9 outta 10 can shake off with little to no effort. Nasty being a bee sting which leaves a mark. There is very little nasty in your list imo. Kreider based on size and speed but I would hardly say he's nasty to play against or has been on a consistent basis. Smith - proved to be junk. DeAngelo - sure for a small defensemen. Vescey, Buch, Spooner (even in the same sentence as Marchand is crazy) I don't see as even remotely tough. Zucc/Fast are pests (see mosquito). Staal not so much anymore although not soft.

Archived