• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

paddynyc

I mean, logically, the best possible plan forward is pain. Re-sign key RFAs, bring on valuable veterans with leadership qualities on one-year deals to be flipped at the deadline should the playoffs not be in the cards, and continue building through strategic drafting and trading.

That would be the logical road if the goal is a cup and a cup is the only thing considered a success. Problem is this franchise seems pretty satisfied with their most recent “glory”. Making the playoffs and coming close seems to follow with a bow from these ass clowns. They state they want a cup but do they mean it. Draft and develop then add the missing piece is the only way especially in the hard cap world. There is no shortcuts to building championship depth throughout an organization. Doing it right guarantees nothing but taking shortcuts does. If success is measured by making the playoffs and praying for a miracle then this franchise is the 80’s Oilers.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean, logically, the best possible plan forward is pain. Re-sign key RFAs, bring on valuable veterans with leadership qualities on one-year deals to be flipped at the deadline should the playoffs not be in the cards, and continue building through strategic drafting and trading.

That would be the logical road if the goal is a cup and a cup is the only thing considered a success. Problem is this franchise seems pretty satisfied with their most recent ?glory?. Making the playoffs and coming close seems to follow with a bow from these ass clowns. They state they want a cup but do they mean it. Draft and develop then add the missing piece is the only way especially in the hard cap world. There is no shortcuts to building championship depth throughout an organization. Doing it right guarantees nothing but taking shortcuts does. If success is measured by making the playoffs and praying for a miracle then this franchise is the 80?s Oilers.

The FO will do whatever it takes to make the playoffs next year. They'd rather have the revenue than a truly set up for long term success of the franchise.

They can don't his because you have people like LTF who think making the playoffs is good enough because...hey...you never know!

I dunno, after this draft they'll likely have a Top 3 system in my estimation. Then, assuming they don't trade more picks from 2019 they'll be able to add nicely again, even more so if it doesn't pan out this coming season and they flip a few pending FA's for even more picks/assets.

Tanking an entire season to marginally improve your chances at drafting a few spots higher is pretty dumb. Sure, play the kids, but give them a chance to compete as well.

Building a farm system doesn't happen in one year. The talent needs to be staggered or you wind up like Toronto...you have 2-3 seasons where you're a serious threat before you can't pay all the talent who are up for deals.

They had a good draft last year. They need 2 more. And if Tampa doesn't win cup and we get their 2nd not 1st... more of a reason.

Building a farm system doesn't happen in one year. The talent needs to be staggered or you wind up like Toronto...you have 2-3 seasons where you're a serious threat before you can't pay all the talent who are up for deals.

They had a good draft last year. They need 2 more. And if Tampa doesn't win cup and we get their 2nd not 1st... more of a reason.

I think it just depends on the amount of controllable assets you hold. After this draft, they'll hold a lot. At that point all that really matters is when you start their clocks.

Obviously you look at JT cause you'd be crazy not too however I'm just totally hating the back end of that contract. Same as what we are going through with Hank and Staal. Sometimes I just wonder if this team will ever learn and I totally get the Garden mindset of maximizing the gate.

I'm staying put for now. Who's to say we dont flip one more asset prior to the draft for another pick. I'd rather add Kovy for 2 years and maybe a 36 year old vet with good leadership skills for a year, that can help the young talent develop. Its what Parcells called "hold the fort guys".

In the current league philosophy, the more 19 year old guys you have the better. Talent knows no age.

It's just so important they get this draft opportunity right.

In the current league philosophy, the more 19 year old guys you have the better. Talent knows no age.

It's just so important they get this draft opportunity right.

Exactly. Carolina, Buffalo and Phoenix being prime examples of this. Damn they are dominant.

I mean, this is very specific.

Do Scott Gomez and Bobby Holik not count?

Brooks addressed those two in the same article saying

Bobby Holik and Scott Gomez traded in Lou Lamoriello’s prison garb for the bright lights across the river and were hardly ever heard from again.

Maybe he has a point ... such a movement of a franchise player from one cross-river rival to the other has never happened while said player was in his PRIME. Other greats came with elephant-in-the-room sized caveats--LaFontaine too was an accident waiting to happen and so was Lindross.

That said, I think there's a slightly better chance than the one in 500 type odds Brooks is citing. Grabner happened, Healey happened. OK neither were franchise players, but with the turmoil of the last 5 years are Islanders are having a hard time just being a "franchise" with a home address. I won't hold my breath on this happening, but I'll keep a weather eye. I think this is a little different circumstance.

and Taveras, Barzal and not much else gets you this years Islanders - with two elite centers putting up over 160 pts. Taveras and not much else gets you the Islanders since he joined the league. Missing the playoffs what 6 of 9 seasons. What have they won one playoff series with him?

Saying just Crosby is not even close when there's a guy named Malkin as well as Crosby who's one of the best of all time. That's not JT by any stretch.

Archived