• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

paddynyc

imo the game has passed Lamoriello by and his success was a long time ago pre-lockout and certainly analytics have since taken on a much larger role as time has gone on. Praying he drags Conte into the Isles mix to ensure a lack of success drafting going forward.

Well, he built a pretty good team in Toronto so I'm not sure I agree.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not exactly. Much of that work was done before he got there. But he didn't fuck anything up, so he's got that going for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So Dave Nonis should take credit for the team? I don't understand this logic. Everyone Nonis and Burke hired were fired before Lou came in.

Lou Drafted Travis Dermott, Mitch Marner, Timothy Liljegren, and Auston Matthews while taking the team from last in the NHL to a perennial playoff team. I agree he's an old school guy but he's still very very relevant.

Hunter drafted those guys. But under Lou, so if you want to credit him, thats fine.

I get that you don't want to give him credit but he had to do some heavy lifting there. Of course other people were involved, but no matter who did the grunt work, he signed off on everything -- he had control of the reigns. He traded Phaneuf and really kickstarted the rebuild, traded Reimer, brought in Freddy Andersson, took on TONS of picks, and pushed the right buttons for the Leafs to immediately bounce back.

He immediately gives the Islanders credibility, as we now see in the Tavares negotiations, which went from non-existent to moving in a positive direction.

There are certainly GMs who have had the game pass them by (Burke, Sather, etc.) but Lou, to me, is still relevant. When Dubas or John Chayka's name is mentioned as a positive direction I can only laugh because neither have proven a single thing. Chayka has actually only proven that he stinks. He iced a minor league team last season with more money tied up in retired players than on-ice talent. People can point to their strong finish, but until they make the playoffs, he's going to be scrutinized heavily.

I get that you don't want to give him credit but he had to do some heavy lifting there. Of course other people were involved, but no matter who did the grunt work, he signed off on everything -- he had control of the reigns. He traded Phaneuf and really kickstarted the rebuild, traded Reimer, brought in Freddy Andersson, took on TONS of picks, and pushed the right buttons for the Leafs to immediately bounce back.

He immediately gives the Islanders credibility, as we now see in the Tavares negotiations, which went from non-existent to moving in a positive direction.

There are certainly GMs who have had the game pass them by (Burke, Sather, etc.) but Lou, to me, is still relevant. When Dubas or John Chayka's name is mentioned as a positive direction I can only laugh because neither have proven a single thing. Chayka has actually only proven that he stinks. He iced a minor league team last season with more money tied up in retired players than on-ice talent. People can point to their strong finish, but until they make the playoffs, he's going to be scrutinized heavily.

What's so heavy to lift about a first overall pick? The toughest call he had to make was taking Marner over Hanifin at the strong suggestion from Mark Hunter, who also deserves the lion's share of credit for forcing the issue with Dermott, too. Those are his guys. Lou OK'd it. He didn't do the heavy lifting. He just listened to and trusted his advisors. Which he deserves credit for. I'd stop short of praising Lou for those picks, though. I know this might feel like semantics, but to me, it's an important distinction.

Phaneuf and Andersen I'll give you. Their draft strategy belongs to Shanahan. Again, Lou executed it, but it wasn't his plan. It was the Shanaplan before Lou ever arrived.

I don't mean to suggest through all of this that Lou isn't relevant, or is out of touch. My whole point in using him as a measuring stick wasn't to disparage him. It was to illustrate him as the patriarch of the old boys club. To paint him as the prototype of old school GMs who adhere to the unwritten rules I spoke about. None of this was ever designed to be a slight on his abiliites. Just specific philosophies regarding offer sheets.

As to Chayka, we can move that into a new thread if you want. I'm happy to talk about it more.

This is dreamland.

i agree it is. however if there is a big pissing match between babcock and matthews this could well get interesting. especially if he goes into the season without a new deal. this will be an every day issue with the press asking questions about the contract. if this does blow up it probably costs babcock his job. wouldnt be the first time a star player forces a coach out of town.

i would imagine tavares resigns with the fishsticks as well, however it would be fucking hysterical if he put on a blue shirt. basically gives us a license to shit on the Isles for the rest of our lives and they having no recourse but to just take it without lube.

i agree it is. however if there is a big pissing match between babcock and matthews this could well get interesting. especially if he goes into the season without a new deal. this will be an every day issue with the press asking questions about the contract. if this does blow up it probably costs babcock his job. wouldnt be the first time a star player forces a coach out of town.

i would imagine tavares resigns with the fishsticks as well, however it would be fucking hysterical if he put on a blue shirt. basically gives us a license to shit on the Isles for the rest of our lives and they having no recourse but to just take it without lube.

Where is This Babcock/Matthews stuff coming from other than twitter? No one reputable is reporting issues. Babcock flew to AZ to talk. He did it last year as well. Quinn is doing the same thing. It’s not unusual. Don’t believe the twitter machine that’s just constantly looking for problems.

And give them a good goaltender and do you still think they are only 1 point ahead of us? IMO, with a real goaltender, they are a threat for the cup. They are a better organization than us, just look at the players they have in their system and look at ours.

A good goaltender was not going to make the Islanders a cup contender.

I think Lou is likely to pull the JT thing out of the fire. Hate to admit it, but if he then uses two of those three first round picks to trade for a good goalie (Grubauer) and a top 4 D-man, they've got a pretty good team in the making. Lou has to get a coach before JT signs, and finding one to Lou's liking who is good by JT may be tricky. Lou or no Lou, three years in arena purgatory is not going to make the Islanders an attractive destination for some time. I guess I have to hope that proves to be a problem and keeps the Islanders down. JT, of course, is not bound to eight years with the Islanders if he signs. He can always demand a trade if he doesn't like what is going on.

My only hope is that Lou hates giving out big contracts. JT hates LI, so it might take a king’s ransom to keep him there.

At this point I am starting to think that he is not signing. Would have done it by now- Lou has been there a couple of days and this should be priority #1. Of course anything can happen but thats the feeling I have.

Could be going full Stamkos and going to UFA to field offers, only to sign with the Isles.

Why not see what's out there? If I was a player I'd absolutely do the same. He likes LI. See what people are putting out there and if you'd rather stay, stay. But to sign in LI without taking a look seems kinda dumb.

Why not see what's out there? If I was a player I'd absolutely do the same. He likes LI. See what people are putting out there and if you'd rather stay, stay. But to sign in LI without taking a look seems kinda dumb.

He actually hates Long Island. It’s the main reason I made the bet.

Archived