• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

paddynyc

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dominant centers and good defense are equally important. The latter is a little bit easier to come by. You can sometimes get an Anton Strolman off the scrap heap and make him into an excellent defenseman. You don't really get someone off the scrap heap and make him into a dominant center.

Dominant centers and good defense are equally important. The latter is a little bit easier to come by. You can sometimes get an Anton Strolman off the scrap heap and make him into an excellent defenseman. You don't really get someone off the scrap heap and make him into a dominant center.

Right, because you can teach a defender how to defend positionally, of course some are better than others. Also, a coach is putting a system in place for the whole team. You can’t coach Hayes how to play like Crosby.

• 1 month later...
Boy does Tavares to Vegas ever make sense to me. They will need a good acquisition to maintain the buzz and avoid a sophomore let down. They have the cap space. For Tavares, it's a good team that should be pretty good for a while in town in the midst of a hockey frenzy. A bit better than playing to crowds of 9,000 on slush in Brooklyn for three years while some dudes lean on shovels out at Belmont...

• 4 weeks later...

want to revive this thread. with 25 mln in cap space could we pull this off?

also given the shit show that ottawa is could we also grab Karlsson?

i'd love this. would also like to monitor the matthews situation in toronto. the

toronto beat writer was on nhl network this morning. seems trouble is brewing

between babcock and matthews. he has one year at 950k on his contract and becomes

an RFA. i wonder if you threw your whole draft board at the leafs this year would it be

enough to pry him away.

put these three guys on broadway and u can double the ticket prices and i wouldn't care.

want to revive this thread. with 25 mln in cap space could we pull this off?

also given the shit show that ottawa is could we also grab Karlsson?

i'd love this. would also like to monitor the matthews situation in toronto. the

toronto beat writer was on nhl network this morning. seems trouble is brewing

between babcock and matthews. he has one year at 950k on his contract and becomes

an RFA. i wonder if you threw your whole draft board at the leafs this year would it be

enough to pry him away.

put these three guys on broadway and u can double the ticket prices and i wouldn't care.

This is dreamland.

I was about to say no chance on Matthews... but how are his advanced stats? (Serious)

Matthews?

5v5 aggregate over the last two seasons:

2.48 P/60 (points per 60 mins)

2.22 P1/60 (primary points per 60 mins)

50.75 CF%

0.95 CF% rel (relative to teammates)

52.26 xGF% (expected goals for percentage)

1.69 xGF% rel (relative to teammates)

103.09 PDO

So, good, but not incredible, which is to be expected for star players who play against the other team's best players.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not either, but I do think it's more plausible than free agency ever getting back to what it was. The league is embracing more and more young, progressive GMs who didn't graduate from the Lou Lamoriello school of management and more clubs are thoroughly embracing youth movements. Something has to come to a head here. It can't possibly all fall on "draft better" means.

I'm not either, but I do think it's more plausible than free agency ever getting back to what it was. The league is embracing more and more young, progressive GMs who didn't graduate from the Lou Lamoriello school of management and more clubs are thoroughly embracing youth movements. Something has to come to a head here. It can't possibly all fall on "draft better" means.

I'm not quiet sure what this means.

imo the game has passed Lamoriello by and his success was a long time ago pre-lockout and certainly analytics have since taken on a much larger role as time has gone on. Praying he drags Conte into the Isles mix to ensure a lack of success drafting going forward.

Matthews?

5v5 aggregate over the last two seasons:

2.48 P/60 (points per 60 mins)

2.22 P1/60 (primary points per 60 mins)

50.75 CF%

0.95 CF% rel (relative to teammates)

52.26 xGF% (expected goals for percentage)

1.69 xGF% rel (relative to teammates)

103.09 PDO

So, good, but not incredible, which is to be expected for star players who play against the other team's best players.

Hmm, so not as unlikely as I thought

NHL GMs have largely all subscribed to the same philosophy of not trespassing in others' yards. It's a very old school mentality that's largely to blame for the sheer lack of offer sheets made since the '05 lockout. Those who did, like Lowe, had their characters assassinated for it (though in his case, it doesn't appear worth saving).

I think as you see more progressive GMs named (Chayka, Dubas, etc) you'll hopefully see an end put to those unwritten rules of old.

Archived