• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

paddynyc

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, right now in hour two of The Point with Boomer and O'Sullivan, who don't usually work together. It will probably be on replay around 8-9PM. O'Sullivan is very good friends with JT, golfs with him and is speaking about the situation as far as her can w/o overstepping his trust with JT.

He says he loves Long Island , loves his teammates and hates change. Is very comfortable in NY and knows the ultimate payoff is to win the Cup (35 years) on the Island. He says Lou has spoken with him everyday and has a big 8 year offer on the table. But Patrick says JT is "unsure". Sounded like JT is unsure they can win. The key word was unsure. This is supported by him saying JT wants to feel better about the D structure and goaltending. That when it becomes tough to score that good teams rely on their D always being there. He also thinks the new HC may make a difference in terms of the way Wash plays D. He hasn't talked to him since the hire.

Anyway, there was more. Good stuff from O'Sullivan again.

O'Sullivan seems to think a coach makes no difference with a team. Again swaying my take on what O'Sullivan says as being assholish and bullshit.

Some of you coach. What's your opinion on the worth of an NHL coach to his team? Why would any of them get fired? Wouldn't a coach like Trotz attract more free agents than Butch Goring?

O'Sullivan seems to think a coach makes no difference with a team. Again swaying my take on what O'Sullivan says as being assholish and bullshit.

Some of you coach. What's your opinion on the worth of an NHL coach to his team? Why would any of them get fired? Wouldn't a coach like Trotz attract more free agents than Butch Goring?

The coach is overrated in terms of game activity. The players play the game. Unfortunately this is all the fans see because the coaches real worth is measured off the ice and in practice.

The only person that matters to O'Sullivan is himself. He lives to hear himself talk himself up.

The only person that matters to O'Sullivan is himself. He lives to hear himself talk himself up.

I get the exact opposite read, he is ridiculously self-depreciating. Can't even remember a story where he talks himself up. Did you happen to listen yesterday or today?

That's bullshit, where did you come up with this. Not only was he talking about bad coaches ruining a youth's need to explore his abilities and creativity on the ice. Just today, he also talked about how bad caching and rushing ruined Yakapov, really got in his head. Then he gave the opposite example about how Hynes is a great coach and really duid a wonderful job not trying to make Hall a player he wasn't. He cited bad coaching in Edm hurting Hall and what a difference Hynes made, with examples.

He and Gordon then went on about how Gallant did such a perfect job with Vegas. He also has discussed what a shitty bizarre coach Crawford was and believes he screwed up a lot of young players with weird shit, including himself. He also admits he was already screwed up. He discussed his family problems and experiences at the draft today. And what a schmuck he was.

I get the exact opposite read, he is ridiculously self-depreciating. Can't even remember a story where he talks himself up. Did you happen to listen yesterday or today?

I listened to him interject himself into every fucking story, yes.

you may find it self-depreciating, but I find is self aggrandizing.

That's bullshit, where did you come up with this. Not only was he talking about bad coaches ruining a youth's need to explore his abilities and creativity on the ice. Just today, he also talked about how bad caching and rushing ruined Yakapov, really got in his head. Then he gave the opposite example about how Hynes is a great coach and really duid a wonderful job not trying to make Hall a player he wasn't. He cited bad coaching in Edm hurting Hall and what a difference Hynes made, with examples.

He and Gordon then went on about how Gallant did such a perfect job with Vegas. He also has discussed what a shitty bizarre coach Crawford was and believes he screwed up a lot of young players with weird shit, including himself. He also admits he was already screwed up. He discussed his family problems and experiences at the draft today. And what a schmuck he was.

Umm he said it the other day when the Isles got Trotz.. Said something like "getting a good coach doesn't help the Isles much in getting Tavares signed, because players don't care who the coach is, and feel they have little impact on winning." Paraphrasing of course.

You know... When he was name dropping.

Guys a schmoe.

He's pretty nuanced about coaching and gave examples of where they make a difference and where they are overrated.

Wednesday he said he Trotz may be another piece that sways JT, when asked. He said he didn't speak to JT since the HC hire, so his answer was a humble, "I don't know". He also said JT has a concern about being able to stop teams from scoring to take the pressure of the offense,

We picking Dallas or Tampa Bay? We can get our 1st or Seguin, next year.

If thought that Dallas all along was the best fit for both the team and JT. But I don't know why the fuck they'd bring in JT to swap out Seguin. Don't really see the point in that. JT makes sense to give you 2 elite top lines.

Benn-Seguin

Radulove-JT

Take one of those centers out and you're back in the same spot you are now, even if JT is the better player than Seguin overall.

Umm he said it the other day when the Isles got Trotz.. Said something like "getting a good coach doesn't help the Isles much in getting Tavares signed, because players don't care who the coach is, and feel they have little impact on winning." Paraphrasing of course.

Maybe true to some degree, I guess -- among good/acceptable coaches...

... but what about a bad coach/asshole coach/tuned-out coach -- ask 'em what influence that has on losing?

— might get a totally different answer.

All depends on the question.

Either way, not holding my breath for a second on JT; slightly more chance it could happen, I guess, than seeing flying armadillos on Old Country Rd...

If thought that Dallas all along was the best fit for both the team and JT. But I don't know why the fuck they'd bring in JT to swap out Seguin. Don't really see the point in that. JT makes sense to give you 2 elite top lines.

Benn-Seguin

Radulove-JT

Take one of those centers out and you're back in the same spot you are now, even if JT is the better player than Seguin overall.

Dallas has said they will not deal Spezza, which would have made a shit ton of sense to clear cap space. I think he's on the books for 7.5 .

I thought the Rangers taking on that 7.5 as one of those salary dump favor trades would have been a good idea, but they think Montgomery can reel him back in.... Really not sure how they're a suitor if they stick to that.

Archived