• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Getting Alarmingly Close to Forcing Jeff Gorton's Hand

Phil

Well, I totally disagree that Mac is going to get $9m, especially until he's 37 or whatever. I think, he's getting $7m max, especially if he wants term. So, after Trouba becomes a UFA, you're not saving that much.

If there's not much of a dropoff from Mac to Skjei, then, yea, even a 1-for-1 replacement makes a lot of sense (actually, I'm kind of talking myself into it, lol), but whether or not Skjei is ready to be a #1 is a major question mark, even though he has the potential.

If McD signs here for 7 years, why would he take less than 8.5 AAV? In the FA mkt he probably gets at least that, and maybe 8 years. Check the going rates. He's been on a cheap deal and is going to want close to fair value.

Glad you are talking yourself into it. Puckhead broke it down best. Skjei will be fine with Trouba. Now we just need the Jets to make a phone call. :slats:

BTW, if the Rangers sell, they'll probably wait till the last few days of the deadline.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If McD signs here for 7 years, why would he take less than 8.5 AAV? In the FA mkt he probably gets at least that, and maybe 8 years. Check the going rates. He's been on a cheap deal and is going to want close to fair value.

Glad you are talking yourself into it. Puckhead broke it down best. Skjei will be fine with Trouba. Now we just need the Jets to make a phone call. :slats:

BTW, if the Rangers sell, they'll probably wait till the last few days of the deadline.

Going Rates. You think McD will become the 2nd highest paid Dman in the league?

Going Rates. You think McD will become the 2nd highest paid Dman in the league?

No Karlsson will get more if he's in top form. Well I was thinking he'd get 8.5 AAV by the time the new contract starts. A few years ago we gave Staal 5.8 with a NMC. Maybe I am wrong and 7.5 or so is more realistic. Still, I'm concerned about that term considering age and injuries. So, it doesn't sway me from trading him for the right return of youthful proven potential.

First RNH, now this. I think I'm the kiss of death. Here's the news:

"Jacob Trouba suffered a lower-body injury and will miss the next six-to-eight weeks of action. For now, in Trouba's absence, Tyler Myers will join Josh Morrissey on the No. 1 unit. The second pairing of Toby Enstrom and Dustin Byfuglien will stay intact, and rookie Tucker Poolman will draw back in alongside Ben Chiarot to round things out the back end."

"The left-handed D on this team are pretty lucky with the kind of partners we get," said Morrissey. "(Myers) is a great skater, he's a big guy, obviously, and has a lot of skill. It will be fun to play with him. He's a great player, too, so you can't go wrong.

"It's tough to see (Trouba) go down. He's been playing great hockey all year, and especially lately, he's been outstanding. We've played pretty much the whole year together, but the rest of us as a group have to step up and take some of those minutes on. ? It's never easy to see, but he's going to get better fast and we're going to do what we can to hold down the fort while he's gone."

Fatty, you are probably correct, they'd want more for Trouba and the rumor that they'd still consider trading him is hard to believe. Maybe with his injury they'd take McD, if we throw in the picks we get for DD and Holden. Nah, just a pipe dream.

Sounds like Winnipeg could use Holden... At the cost of 5 first round picks... Lol. I say he at least gets a 2nd rounder.

I'm having trouble seeing how this makes NYR better.

I guess Skjei/Trouba is a strong top pair, which is better than what we have currently, assuming Skjei can handle that role. But after that, there's no depth. With a 1-for-1 swap right now, you're looking at:

Skjei/Troubadooba

Staal/Shatty

Smith/DeAngelo

I like that on paper, but I'm not sure how that would translate to the ice. And, really, I'm not sure how that trade would make WPG better, injury notwithstanding. If NYR wants to send Mac to WPG, they'd be better off targeting one of the young forwards - Connor or Ellers. Would have to package Nash or Grabs too, so WPG doesn't lose a forward for a cup run, but something like that I think is more in the ballpark of what NYR should be looking at with WPG.

I'm down on McD, but I feel he's got more value than Trouba. McD can land them a 1st line player.

Well, Trouba is a top-pair defenseman, but he's probably half a tier below Mac. But, he's 5 years younger. That means a heck of a lot.

I feel Skjei can be a top pair guy. Not sure if you need to partner him with another. You then also have to pay them both.

I'd rather fill the spot along side Skjei with a mid tier guy or even a vet, through free agency or with a trade acquired for Nash or Grabner...

I'm down on McD, but I feel he's got more value than Trouba. McD can land them a 1st line player.

Trouba has become a true #1 this year. He has to be considered one of the best young RD's in the league at this point.

LATEST REPORT: Jacob Trouba is expected miss 6-8 weeks with an ankle injury. The 23-year-old ranks second on the team in average ice time (22:10) and hadn't missed a game this season. He has three goals, 17 assists and +6 rating in 50 games.

The Jets are also missing defenceman Dmitry Kulikov, who suffered an upper-body injury Jan. 23, but Maurice has faith in the ability of other Winnipeg blue-liners to step up.

"A key piece, right? It’s not just losing the player, he’s also playing right at his peak. His game in Anaheim was outstanding. He was really good," said Maurice. "If we have an area of depth, and we do, it’s right defence. So that’s the one place if we have a guy go down, that we have players there who want the minutes, that can handle the minutes."

"We’re going to miss him, there’s no doubt about that. But we have the personnel here to pick up the slack," said Maurice. "You’re getting into four and five guys now out of your lineup. It’s a squeeze for sure. But everybody goes through it. (Trouba’s) going to be a while, but we’re hoping we’re getting a lot closer at least to the majority of these guys coming back."

"We’re going to do what we can to hold down the fort while he’s gone," Morrissey said of life without his regular partner. "It’ll be fun to play with (Myers). He’s a great player, too.

Defensemen Poolman added, "(Trouba) has been good for us all year. He plays big minutes against the top guys on the other team. So we’ve just to go step up and chip in here".

Would make no sense for the jets.

A terrible trade partner for McD

Well if they wanted Skjei (an LD) last year, why wouldn't a seasoned McD be attractive for a legit Cup run? I was also just going on that stupid rumor that they would consider trading Trouba. Stupid because the more I think about it, the more I agree with you and Fatty. The Jets are not making the trade, even with the injury. They have good left Dman anyway.

On another note - Holy shit the next six games are brutal and end with the Jets. At least no back-to-backs.

Just have to remember it’s winnepeg. They have trouble attracting players and keeping them. Right now they have trouba because they hold the hammer. He’s still going to be a rfa so while he maybe happy they still basically own him until they can resolve the issue. They wouldn’t want to give up what the rangers want for a guy like mcd because they know more than likely he’s not staying there

Skeij they would have interest because he’s still a rfa

Just have to remember it’s winnepeg. They have trouble attracting players and keeping them. Right now they have trouba because they hold the hammer. He’s still going to be a rfa so while he maybe happy they still basically own him until they can resolve the issue. They wouldn’t want to give up what the rangers want for a guy like mcd because they know more than likely he’s not staying there

Skeij they would have interest because he’s still a rfa

Excellent point.

The Jets should do nothing but add a nice piece at the deadline, for a pick or two.

It comes back to Toronto, for us. They have the ammo to make a deal. They have D depth but are dying for a #1.

There is a dynamic in Toronto worth exploring. Babcock seemingly wants Lou to add a piece before the deadline. Lou works with Babs and for Shanny, who has the longterm plan and is preaching patience. They all command respect from each other.

There is a dilemma. JVR, Komorov and Bozak are all UFAs after this season. Lou hates losing big assets for nothing. There is almost no way they can afford to resign JVR. Babcock is currently on a defense first kick, JVR may love the tough areas but is not strong defensively. His value is very high as a rental, he scores greasy playoff goals.

Babcock loves Komorov, he'd be last to go. Bozak should probably go. Supposedly all the influencers are mixed about buying and/or selling.on whether the team should just hold their UFAs, but not chase rentals either. The city and mgmt seem torn about whether they are good enough yet. Many fans don't want to see the team trade #1 picks still, nor does Hunter and his crew. The whole situation is interesting and fluid. There are a lot of influencers and opinions that hold sway. Ultimately Shanny will have to approve it.

So here is my thought. Toronto ultimately arrives at an interesting resolution. They move JVR for at least a 1st. Bozak potentially, as well. This gives them the ammo to add a Dman of quality maybe even a #1 like McD. It gives them flexibility if they decide to hold both Nylander and Marner. They still have Kapanen, at least 2 first and 2 seconds, and a few other attractive prospects to offer us.

Basically they don't mortgage for rentals and the use the assets from their UFAs to add a top defensemen to the roster now.

I mean, Toronto is in town tonight ;)

Yeah baby, been excited since yesterday!!

I look forward to watching McDermott tonight. He's done well so far, since they brought him up. I think he could be a top 4 defender some point soon, but have to see him more, obviously.

And no more Martin, too much talent is starting to rise to the top. They freed Marner to go do his thing on the 2nd line, now that Babcock feels his players are starting to give D more attention. BTW, Nylander is a Center, but Babcock says he will not play him there this season, for 2 reasons. 1. He wants him with Mathews. 2. He wants him to not have those D responsibilities just yet.

I hope everyone here scouts Marner and Nylander tonight. :slats:

Yeah baby, been excited since yesterday!!

I look forward to watching McDermott tonight. He's done well so far, since they brought him up. I think he could be a top 4 defender some point soon, but have to see him more, obviously.

And no more Martin, too much talent is starting to rise to the top. They freed Marner to go do his thing on the 2nd line, now that Babcock feels his players are starting to give D more attention. BTW, Nylander is a Center, but Babcock says he will not play him there this season, for 2 reasons. 1. He wants him with Mathews. 2. He wants him to not have those D responsibilities just yet.

I hope everyone here scouts Marner and Nylander tonight. :slats:

I seeeee what you did, there.

Trouba has become a true #1 this year. He has to be considered one of the best young RD's in the league at this point.

LATEST REPORT: Jacob Trouba is expected miss 6-8 weeks with an ankle injury. The 23-year-old ranks second on the team in average ice time (22:10) and hadn't missed a game this season. He has three goals, 17 assists and +6 rating in 50 games.

The Jets are also missing defenceman Dmitry Kulikov, who suffered an upper-body injury Jan. 23, but Maurice has faith in the ability of other Winnipeg blue-liners to step up.

"A key piece, right? It’s not just losing the player, he’s also playing right at his peak. His game in Anaheim was outstanding. He was really good," said Maurice. "If we have an area of depth, and we do, it’s right defence. So that’s the one place if we have a guy go down, that we have players there who want the minutes, that can handle the minutes."

"We’re going to miss him, there’s no doubt about that. But we have the personnel here to pick up the slack," said Maurice. "You’re getting into four and five guys now out of your lineup. It’s a squeeze for sure. But everybody goes through it. (Trouba’s) going to be a while, but we’re hoping we’re getting a lot closer at least to the majority of these guys coming back."

"We’re going to do what we can to hold down the fort while he’s gone," Morrissey said of life without his regular partner. "It’ll be fun to play with (Myers). He’s a great player, too.

Defensemen Poolman added, "(Trouba) has been good for us all year. He plays big minutes against the top guys on the other team. So we’ve just to go step up and chip in here".

If Trouba is a true #1 with stats like that as a top pair guy likely getting top PP minutes, how isn't Skjei, who has 3 goals and 13 assists playing on what is considered to be the 2nd pair?

Why would you need two definite top pairing guy's? Not many, if any, teams have that luxury.

Trouba is really good. I don't want to sell him short, but I don't think of him as an equal of McD, even in a shitty McD season.

I don?t trust my reaction to this team right now, as funky as I feel and as injury-riddled as the NYR are; but it has felt this team was broken even when we had a full complement. It feels like time to be sellers of assets while we can still get value for them. Agree in principle with the OP. That said, who?s first out the door, coach or players? Only Ranger impending FA I just can?t sign off trading is Zuccarello. Nash, McD, on the other hand, are re-investments I don?t think we should be making at the price they command. But thankfully, I don?t have to make those decisions.

I don’t trust my reaction to this team right now, as funky as I feel and as injury-riddled as the NYR are; but it has felt this team was broken even when we had a full complement. It feels like time to be sellers of assets while we can still get value for them. Agree in principle with the OP. That said, who’s first out the door, coach or players?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rangers were mediocre from the start. Losing Kreider hurts but let's not kid ourselves, he's no McDavid.

I don’t trust my reaction to this team right now, as funky as I feel and as injury-riddled as the NYR are; but it has felt this team was broken even when we had a full complement. It feels like time to be sellers of assets while we can still get value for them. Agree in principle with the OP. That said, who’s first out the door, coach or players? Only Ranger impending FA I just can’t sign off trading is Zuccarello. Nash, McD, on the other hand, are re-investments I don’t think we should be making at the price they command. But thankfully, I don’t have to make those decisions.

I have to agree Nash and Zuc stay (teach the young ones). Hank, Grabner, Leiterri, Skjei, Miller, Staal , Fast, Hayes and Holland stay and call up some youth.

Trade bait is Vesey, Zibanjad and Buchnevich as the first two can not shoot ON NET and the 3rd is way to soft. Krieder ( over rated/under achiever ) Desharnais, Carey, Kempfer, Holden and McClown gone. These guys are trade bait to fill in for the above, draft picks, prospects etc

On the fence is Mcd, Miller, Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, Pavelic

AV and Ruff fired not the coach for this team!

I have to agree Nash and Zuc stay (teach the young ones). Hank, Grabner, Leiterri, Skjei, Miller, Staal , Fast, Hayes and Holland stay and call up some youth.

Trade bait is Vesey, Zibanjad and Buchnevich as the first two can not shoot ON NET and the 3rd is way to soft. Krieder ( over rated/under achiever ) Desharnais, Carey, Kempfer, Holden and McClown gone. These guys are trade bait to fill in for the above, draft picks, prospects etc

On the fence is Mcd, Miller, Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, Pavelic

AV and Ruff fired not the coach for this team!

The hell?

Archived