• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Getting Alarmingly Close to Forcing Jeff Gorton's Hand

Phil

Excellent stuff. I deleted your last superflous paragraph, so folks focus solely on your solid logical analysis.

I was going to say much of what you did about the Staal deal, but figured it is best to put it behind us and focus on the future. However, since you covered it well, I'll add another point that rarely is discussed.

Eric Staal was struggling all year and seemed to be descending fast. I'd be willing to bet had he been traded to the Wild he would not have fared much better. So why is Staal producing so well in Minn? I think it is because he seriously rededicated himself to hockey, getting in shape and finding his best game again. We've seen this with top players before. They finally realize that they can no longer rely on a young body to take care of itself and they have to dig deep and work harder to get and stay in shape. I was widely reported that Staal went into the offseason and busted ass to rejuvenate his game and work on his body, his cardio, his strength, his skills, etc.

It paid off and supposedly Mark somewhat followed his lead this off season. Which may explain why Mark has gone from a liability to being servicable.

Regardless, for the Rangers Staal was a rental who did not have an off season to regain his form and learn our system. Therefore, situationally it was a terrible trade for the reasons you and I have mentioned.

I have what's his face blocked so I can't comment on what ever it is he said. I do that because I know I can't have a calm logical conversation with him. Sorry. I'm policing myself by doing so, so I don't get in trouble. Sorry guy. I see where it eventually winds up.

The Rangers were in desperate need of a center that entire season. They needed offensive help. Staal was said to be fed up with Carolina sucking once again (let's suck for years and see how Kreider and Skjei feel after year 3 of dog shit hockey!!!!). A change of scenery and a chance at the playoffs was what everyone in the media suggested he needed. His dedication to the game was never in question. He's a hockey player. I doubt he took his training lightly.

He is producing because he is and always was a really good player who is strong on the puck, has good hands good speed and pretty good defensively.

Being on a disaster franchise, going nowhere demoralizes anyone. He had shit to play with. I seriously doubt he he just realized that he had to get in better shape.

The trade did not work. It should have. Maybe with more time with the team he clicks with who ever it was AV was trying to jump start. The Stahlberg line was playing really well from what I remember. So, AV figured he'd insert Staal onto a line that wasn't working in an attempt to jump start that line. And in typical AV fashion, he stuck with what didn't work and never went back to what did.

I don't see it as so terrible. They took a chance. They didn't lose much. Are the Rangers better today with that second round pick and that prospect? That fucking kid couldn't even make the Canes roster. How good is he? Who'd they get with that pick?

The Rangers have made up for loss of picks by signing Hayes, Vesey, Pionk, Gilmore and some others. They take the place of the level of assets given up.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived