• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Getting Alarmingly Close to Forcing Jeff Gorton's Hand

Phil

How is there not hesitation? We don't know what Draisaitl is without McDavid. He's a tremendous talent, but maybe that only translates to being a secondary scoring winger. To cripple your defense for who knows how many years, of course there's hesitation.

I don't think Klefbom plays the right. He's generally paired with Larsson, who is a righty. I don't think they have both of them playing their off side.

Maybe mcdavid is only good because of draisitl

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like one win-win trade, where trading McD makes sense. The maniacal Toronto fans love to discuss acquiring that #1 Dman. They like McD. I love those two players. Both can play C. You have to give to get. No one is giving away their #1 D and not getting a young top line player in return.

Toronto's choice of Nylander or Marner. The Rangers might have to add something to this one, but not so much as to make it prohibitive.

OK, so I brought the idea of a McD for either Marner or Nylander to this board on Oct 16, regardless of what all these johnny come lately pundits say.

Admittedly, it came to me when reading another board of Toronto fans hashing through the top dmen across the league.

So, I'm bumping this and updating my proposal, so that others may have new material to plagerize.

Toronto gets:

McD

Nash

Holden

The pick we get from DD

Rangers get:

Marner or Nylander

Liljegren or Dermott

2018 1st

As Phil and others have talked about, we could then use our 1st and either Toronto's or a player (like Miller or others) to move up and take a chance at a top liner like Brady Tkacuk, who I think will meet expectations. We'll also have one of the top picks in the 2nd round.

OK, so I brought the idea of a McD for either Marner or Nylander to this board on Oct 16, regardless of what all these johnny come lately pundits say.

Admittedly, it came to me when reading another board of Toronto fans hashing through the top dmen across the league.

So, I'm bumping this and updating my proposal, so that others may have new material to plagerize.

Toronto gets:

McD

Nash

Holden

The pick we get from DD

Rangers get:

Marner or Nylander

Liljegren or Dermott

2018 1st

As Phil and others have talked about, we could then use our 1st and either Toronto's or a player (like Miller or others) to move up and take a chance at a top liner like Brady Tkacuk, who I think will meet expectations. We'll also have one of the top picks in the 2nd round.

Don't want either one of the leafs defensemen but do want to trade McD + pick for Nylander and a pick

So your going for McD, Holden and likely 4th rounder for Nylander and their 1st.

I'm all in for that. Not sure Toronto thinks it is even. Nash rounds out the trade more and allows Toronto to really go for it this year and feel good about giving up their 1st. Plus the D prospects are good ones and one of them fills a hole in the defense left by McD. The bigger deal also provides cover to both GMs in that it would be hard trade to be critical of and dissect. Unlike a simple 1 for 1 or 1 for 2 deal.

Toronto gets:

McD

Nash

Holden

The pick we get from DD

Rangers get:

Marner or Nylander

Liljegren or Dermott

2018 1st

As much as I kinda like where you're going (though, we'll get more as separate pieces), gotta call you on the salary cap violation.

I'm all for trading McD. I'm in love with the Toronto ideas of getting Nylander /Marner plus for him.

Obviously it's a move for a not too distant future. So, who do the Rangers get to replace McD? I slide Skjei up to his spot, so you're really looking for a guy in the 2nd pair. Are there any free agents that won't break the bank to fit the role?

I'm all for trading McD. I'm in love with the Toronto ideas of getting Nylander /Marner plus for him.

Obviously it's a move for a not too distant future. So, who do the Rangers get to replace McD? I slide Skjei up to his spot, so you're really looking for a guy in the 2nd pair. Are there any free agents that won't break the bank to fit the role?

Pionik should get a look with out braking a bank.

I was thinking De Haan (26) would be a good target, until his season ending injury. Maybe we can still give him a shot. I would absolutely target Jon Moore (27). I wonder if righty Eric Gudbranson (26) should be considered. Would Barberio (27) from Colorado be a cheap botton pair option if Graves or Pionk are not considered likely candidates for the job?

I was thinking De Haan (26) would be a good target, until his season ending injury. Maybe we can still give him a shot. I would absolutely target Jon Moore (27). I wonder if righty Eric Gudbranson (26) should be considered. Would Barberio (27) from Colorado be a cheap botton pair option if Graves or Pionk are not considered likely candidates for the job?

De Haan would be decent I guess. Jon Moore stunk here. Never heard of the other two, so I can't comment on them.

I'd like to see Pionk or Graves play some games with the Rangers NOW, to gauge what they could possibly be going forward. Still not getting the Kampfer experiment.

Erik Gudbranson is garbage. Kampfer on steroids. I'm good with Barbeiro though. Very underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Erik Gudbranson is garbage. Kampfer on steroids. I'm good with Barbeiro though. Very underrated.

Fair enough, I haven't seen him much recently. I don't see any other young or reasonably priced righties we should consider.

That said, getting back to lefties. The question asked is still a good one. If McD is traded and we also hope we are moving away from Staal somehow (and Holden), who are good UFA possibilities for us?

Jon Moore has been consistently very good and could do a fine job on the 2nd pair. Dude I've seen him a ton the last few years and he is much better than you remember. He is fast, fairly strong, can pass or carry the puck into/through the neutral zone, solid against rushes and strong in front of his net.

If Graves is not a legit prospect for the bottom pair, then taking a chance on Calvin de Haan (the injury makes him cheaper) or Barbeiro might also be prudent. I'm assuming the players mentioned won't cost big $ like Carlson.

Frankly, this team needs to address/revamp the blueline, asap. For instance, instead of asking for a 1st + as comp for Grabs or Nash, Staal (with some salary retention) could be the + part of the trade. Holden should be traded too, he's worth a 3rd. It seems time to see Graves at this level and gauge what we have. Pionk is a righty, but I'm happy to take a look at him too. Make a commitment to rebuilding the D, regardless of McD.

Someone said in a post along the way something about moving Staal and it's a pretty good thought;

Something to the effect of if we suck up 1/2 his salary, we could move him to a team that's in need of a 3rd pair defender. Staal's been having a decent enough season to warrant that. The quote was something to the effect of "Staal, as a 3rd pair defenseman would be a pretty good bargain for 2.5 million a year"

It might have been Phil or Future, but I can't seem to find it.

I agree with it too. Just moving the contract alone would be a boon to this franchise. If we somehow get anything else in return for it....well, that would be worthy of the Medal of Honor!! ;)

We're also going to have to approach replacing the "irreplaceable" at some point soon.

Hank, as much as I love the guy, I'm SURE is not going to hang around for a rebuild/retool/youth movement....whatever you wanna call it...and he really shouldn't. The guy's been a warrior and he's been a Hall of Fame Ranger his whole career. His 10 million dollar tag is quite difficult to just slide into another franchise, but there's going to come a time, when and if the Rangers go down Rebuild Avenue, that Hank is going to be replaced.

The question is with whom?

Do we go "unproven draft pick/Rookie" or "Experienced Journeyman looking to be a starter someplace"....or possibly "older proven veteran trying to recapture glory"

Gudbranson is McIlrath, just picked 9 spots higher and just better enough to survive a few more years.

Yup. Gudbranson made the NHL cultural cutoff. McIlrath didn't. They're equally ill-equipped to play today's game well.

Fair enough, I haven't seen him much recently. I don't see any other young or reasonably priced righties we should consider.

That said, getting back to lefties. The question asked is still a good one. If McD is traded and we also hope we are moving away from Staal somehow (and Holden), who are good UFA possibilities for us?

Jon Moore has been consistently very good and could do a fine job on the 2nd pair. Dude I've seen him a ton the last few years and he is much better than you remember. He is fast, fairly strong, can pass or carry the puck into/through the neutral zone, solid against rushes and strong in front of his net.

If Graves is not a legit prospect for the bottom pair, then taking a chance on Calvin de Haan (the injury makes him cheaper) or Barbeiro might also be prudent. I'm assuming the players mentioned won't cost big $ like Carlson.

Frankly, this team needs to address/revamp the blueline, asap. For instance, instead of asking for a 1st + as comp for Grabs or Nash, Staal (with some salary retention) could be the + part of the trade. Holden should be traded too, he's worth a 3rd. It seems time to see Graves at this level and gauge what we have. Pionk is a righty, but I'm happy to take a look at him too. Make a commitment to rebuilding the D, regardless of McD.

This is a scenario that I'd imagine a trade would solve more effectively than a free agent.

In keeping with the McD theme, there was a rumor that the Jets would consider trading Trouba (guess he is a RFA this offseason?). Remember they wanted a top left Dman in return, last year.

McD for Trouba.

What do you guys think? Trying to give you guys something creative.

Jets vs Tampa tonight. Cup preview.

Done deal. Doubt the jets wouldn’t want more

First RNH, now this. I think I'm the kiss of death. Here's the news:

"Jacob Trouba suffered a lower-body injury and will miss the next six-to-eight weeks of action. For now, in Trouba's absence, Tyler Myers will join Josh Morrissey on the No. 1 unit. The second pairing of Toby Enstrom and Dustin Byfuglien will stay intact, and rookie Tucker Poolman will draw back in alongside Ben Chiarot to round things out the back end."

"The left-handed D on this team are pretty lucky with the kind of partners we get," said Morrissey. "(Myers) is a great skater, he's a big guy, obviously, and has a lot of skill. It will be fun to play with him. He's a great player, too, so you can't go wrong.

"It's tough to see (Trouba) go down. He's been playing great hockey all year, and especially lately, he's been outstanding. We've played pretty much the whole year together, but the rest of us as a group have to step up and take some of those minutes on. … It's never easy to see, but he's going to get better fast and we're going to do what we can to hold down the fort while he's gone."

Fatty, you are probably correct, they'd want more for Trouba and the rumor that they'd still consider trading him is hard to believe. Maybe with his injury they'd take McD, if we throw in the picks we get for DD and Holden. Nah, just a pipe dream.

In keeping with the McD theme, there was a rumor that the Jets would consider trading Trouba (guess he is a RFA this offseason?). Remember they wanted a top left Dman in return, last year.

McD for Trouba.

What do you guys think? Trying to give you guys something creative.

Jets vs Tampa tonight. Cup preview.

I'm having trouble seeing how this makes NYR better.

I guess Skjei/Trouba is a strong top pair, which is better than what we have currently, assuming Skjei can handle that role. But after that, there's no depth. With a 1-for-1 swap right now, you're looking at:

Skjei/Troubadooba

Staal/Shatty

Smith/DeAngelo

I like that on paper, but I'm not sure how that would translate to the ice. And, really, I'm not sure how that trade would make WPG better, injury notwithstanding. If NYR wants to send Mac to WPG, they'd be better off targeting one of the young forwards - Connor or Ellers. Would have to package Nash or Grabs too, so WPG doesn't lose a forward for a cup run, but something like that I think is more in the ballpark of what NYR should be looking at with WPG.

This is the most important part to understand before we go any further. There are a few ways to answer. The first and simple answer is this exercise assumes the Rangers are sellers this deadline and are interested in moving McD if we can get a top player (realistically) in return. Additionally, the return would improve an area of need.

The second answer is more specific. I do not want to pay a 30 something McD essentially 8.5 to 9 AAV for 8 years, after this contract. I'd be happy to instead give Trouba a 7 year deal ~ 6 mil AAV. That makes us so much better over the durations of their contracts. It also gives us a #1 RHD and a real top pair on the blueline, with Skjei.

The last part on how this makes us better is that we fill a huge need on D. We do not have a top 4 righty. We have none is the system. We need to fill that need. This is not like adding a 3rd line winger or a gritty center to win faceoffs. This is a 23 y/o RFA #1RD. We need young topliners and top pair players and we have something good to give.

I guess Skjei/Trouba is a strong top pair, which is better than what we have currently

This too. ^^^ Exactly. Depth is easier to find than a top pair.

I'm not sure how that trade would make WPG better, injury notwithstanding. If NYR wants to send Mac to WPG, they'd be better off targeting one of the young forwards - Connor or Ellers. Would have to package Nash or Grabs too, so WPG doesn't lose a forward for a cup run, but something like that I think is more in the ballpark of what NYR should be looking at with WPG.

Well the injury could be a factor in influencing the deal. And what Fatty said, they may still be a little bitter about his trade request and he is a pending RFA again. They have to pony up this time. The big influence though is their coach and LDs articulating how lucky they are to be the deepest team in the league on the right side, just Monday when discussing Trouba's injury. I remember they were speculated to want a top LD in return.

I would do McD for Ehlers in a heart beat!! That would make my year. Sure we can expand the trade to get them Grabs or Nash to replace Nic. Maybe we get their 1st.

I guess Skjei/Trouba is a strong top pair, which is better than what we have currently, assuming Skjei can handle that role. But after that, there's no depth. With a 1-for-1 swap right now, you're looking at:

Skjei/Troubadooba

Staal/Shatty

Smith/DeAngelo

I like that on paper, but I'm not sure how that would translate to the ice. And, really, I'm not sure how that trade would make WPG better, injury notwithstanding. If NYR wants to send Mac to WPG, they'd be better off targeting one of the young forwards - Connor or Ellers. Would have to package Nash or Grabs too, so WPG doesn't lose a forward for a cup run, but something like that I think is more in the ballpark of what NYR should be looking at with WPG.

It?s not about making the Rangers better this second. It?s about Trouba being only 23 and would be less expensive to retain.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The second answer is more specific. I do not want to pay a 30 something McD essentially 8.5 to 9 AAV for 8 years, after this contract. I'd be happy to instead give Trouba a 7 year deal ~ 6 mil AAV. That makes us so much better over the durations of their contracts. It also gives us a #1 RHD and a real top pair on the blueline, with Skjei.

The last part on how this makes us better is that we fill a huge need on D. We do not have a top 4 righty. We have none is the system. We need to fill that need. This is not like adding a 3rd line winger or a gritty center to win faceoffs. This is a 23 y/o RFA #1RD. We need young topliners and top pair players and we have something good to give.

Well, I totally disagree that Mac is going to get $9m, especially until he's 37 or whatever. I think, he's getting $7m max, especially if he wants term. So, after Trouba becomes a UFA, you're not saving that much.

If there's not much of a dropoff from Mac to Skjei, then, yea, even a 1-for-1 replacement makes a lot of sense (actually, I'm kind of talking myself into it, lol), but whether or not Skjei is ready to be a #1 is a major question mark, even though he has the potential.

Archived