• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Daddy Diaries

Pete

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno, dude. They're pretty expensive. "That" is a relative term directly linked to your bank account statements.

1st one, yeah, but then you have all the shit really. Clothes are as expensive as you want them to be. My wife and her mother are insane and I was willfully blind to what they were spending but I'm wise now.

We just gave away 3 massive tubs of girls shit, we usually just swap now within our close circle of friends as we're all breeding like rabbits.

The real racket is car seats

For the city folks surely kids cost more money to raise. It's no walk in the park out here on the edges of suburbia in Pennsyltucky but its easier to handle I'm sure. Financially we lucked out with 2 kids of the same sex. Tons of hand me down clothes (baby clothes barely get any usage) and hand me down toys. My wife also works with a few people her age with kids a year or two ahead of us and they are very generous in handing down clothing which 75% of looks brand new. We donate the rest of it to Goodwill.

Obviously, some people would turn their heads at even gently used clothing. I don't give a fuck. It's not like we are reusing other kids underwears.

They aren't that much money.. They're as expensive as you want them to be I suppose..

You could do it on the cheap after the 1st. Just Diapers and Formy

im not just talking about the first year, its the years after.....food, outings, birthday parties, school related shit, college, etc......

Hand-me-downs and a close group of friends/family who had kids first is the best possible situation for any new parent. I say this as a new-ish parent.

We got so much shit from friends and family that cost us nothing. Owen's drawers were full before he was even born becuase my best friend and his wife told us "grab a big duffle bag and come shopipng in Caleb's closet".

Hand-me-downs and a close group of friends/family who had kids first is the best possible situation for any new parent. I say this as a new-ish parent.

We got so much shit from friends and family that cost us nothing. Owen's drawers were full before he was even born becuase my best friend and his wife told us "grab a big duffle bag and come shopipng in Caleb's closet".

I love it. We got a bunch of clothes from my cousin that they couldn't give to their new born because he was much bigger than their first son, so we got all of it. Pretty much a whole wardrobe for our son from them.

Actually, speaking to the spirit of this thread, what do you guys think about opening this up to donations and sales as well? I knew I have some stuff I would gladly donate, and a few items I'd like to sell.

Ideally I'd say that sales themselves should still be handled through the General Store, but if you have something for sale that's kid related you can post in here with a link to it?

A grand a month for PART TIME daycare.

Check into montessori school if you want to go that route. We started Ava at 2 and she is far more advanced for her age rather than if she was going to a regular daycare. We crunched the numbers and sending her to montessori school part time was just about the same as daycare and she was/is in a learning environment. We are upping her to full-time next school year which will be in the 10K range.

Check into montessori school if you want to go that route. We started Ava at 2 and she is far more advanced for her age rather than if she was going to a regular daycare. We crunched the numbers and sending her to montessori school part time was just about the same as daycare and she was/is in a learning environment. We are upping her to full-time next school year which will be in the 10K range.

I've never heard of that. Is it an all day thing?

The daycare he's in is pretty good with the educational aspect.

I hope that 10k is yearly and not monthly!

Amelia's at a Goddard School. Similar to Montessori, I think. They have a teacher with an education degree in every class room and there's a curriculum for each day. We pay about $1100/month for 10 months full time and then we do like 10 days in the summer that costs another $1000 or so.

Actually, speaking to the spirit of this thread, what do you guys think about opening this up to donations and sales as well? I knew I have some stuff I would gladly donate, and a few items I'd like to sell.

Ideally I'd say that sales themselves should still be handled through the General Store, but if you have something for sale that's kid related you can post in here with a link to it?

Sure, why not. Your board, your call :)

Montessori is a method of education.

http://amshq.org/Montessori-Education/Introduction-to-Montessori

My daughter is in a class for 3-6 year olds, older kids help the younger kids, they learn at their own pace. She goes from 9-3, 3 days a week, typically M-W-F.

And yes its 10K for the school year. This year we paid in the neighborhood of $7500 but she is going 3 days a week, full time. Last year it was more expensive going 3 days a week/full time b/c she wasnt potty trained.

Great idea! I'm sure there is stuff we all have that we can exchange with one another or sell off to.

It looks like the prices are the still the same from 8-9 years ago. I was paying 1800 a month for both kids. It was an educational day care, and the hours were 6am-7pm. Wife still throws it in my face that I was paying for day care so I can golf every day. But fuck her, I was a 8 handicap !

Day care by me was a pain in the ass. I work nights, so we didn't need my kids to be in day care in the morning, but no one offers anything for just afternoons. Also, a lot of the day cares we went to, their cut off was 3 or 4 o'clock, but on Mondays and Tuesdays my wife doesn't get out until 4, and for what they charged for the extra hour was ridiculous. Plus, when I do have to work mornings, she would have to drop them off by 6, and none of them were open that early. We found a person, through a friend, and she has been pretty good for the past couple of years. I drop my one son off at like 1, and she picks up my other son from the bus stop on Mondays and Tuesdays, and my wife gets him the rest of the week and picks up the little guy after she gets him. We used to have someone that came to our house to watch my younger son, that was nice, but her daughter had twins so she went to watch them. Its so much cheaper using someone outside of a center. We pay like 13 an hour, so it all depends on how much we need her for.

$1100 a month? That's slightly cost prohibitive. Crazy. How long did your wives stay off work after birth?

I really don't want my wife to go back to work until the new one is in school. She's on board, she's just going to have to get better at making sandwiches.

$1100 a month? That's slightly cost prohibitive. Crazy. How long did your wives stay off work after birth?

I really don't want my wife to go back to work until the new one is in school. She's on board, she's just going to have to get better at making sandwiches.

We waited a year which. She's a professor so we actually timed the birth so she would have maternity leave for the Spring and then the summer off. After that we split time the last handful of months.

$1100 is a lot, no doubt. We had a bunch of friends who had their kids in this particular school, so felt comfortable with it. There are many cheaper options. In fact most other places are cheaper. On the flip side we think she is learning a ton there. Hard to say what she'd be like somewhere else though.

My wife not working isn't an option.

Archived